Miami Port - South Beach before 4pm flight?

carla1183

I didn't want us to have to worry and rush to make it off the ship when we debark in Miami at the end of our June cruise, so I booked us a 4pm flight back to DFW (Delta).

Now I'm feeling like that's too much time to sit around the airport, and not enough time to really "do" anything. Renting a car and returning it for $50+ for the day seems like a waste of both time and money (from what I've read, to rent a car we'd have to shuttle all the way back to the airport, get the car, and THEN head wherever we're going). We've never been to Miami and I'm clueless.

From the port, should we

a) take a taxi over to bayside, kill a few hours, and then head to the airport after lunch by taxi?

b) take a taxi to south beach, kill a few hours, and then head to the airport after lunch by taxi?

c) go rent a car and do one of the above, bc those taxi rides are going to add up to $50+ car rental fare anyway?

d) take a taxi straight to the airport. Are there restaurants or shopping or anything to kill a few hours before we head in to the airport and through security?

The problem you have is that you have your luggage with you.

You would be at the airport at 10:00 after deboarding. You want to be there miniumum an hour and a half before your flight. (2:30) That gives you only four hours or so. Is your cruiseline offering any city tours for those with late flights? If not, maybe it would be worth it to hire a cab to drive you around the areas of interest.

But then, the car rental might be your best shot.

There are some nice restaurants, stores and plenty of people watching happening at the airport.

Check with your cruise line and see if they have express luggage service--they take your luggage directly to the airport and check it for you. If this is available, you will have plenty of time to take a taxi over to South Beach and spend the late morning and early afternoon and then head to the airport by around 2:00-2:30 p.m.

I have done it both with a rental car and with express service and express service works better if it is available.

I'd say it is your own comfort level that should help you decide this. If you don't go straight to the airport, will you be worried about the time, constantly checking your watch? Will you be prepared to leave what you are doing to head for the airport?

We have been to each of the places you mention. Honestly (and you did ask), Bayside isn't "all that", in my opinion. It's really just a Mall with a few restaurants. It's a great place to hang pre-cruise because everyone there is excited about their cruise and they have live entertainment, but to go there after a cruise is not really that exciting to me. A taxi to Bayside would be about 10 bucks.

South Beach is nice, very scenic. There are lots of shops and restaurants, but I think I'd want to stand in the ocean, after coming all that way. Will you have towels, etc. if you do get wet or sandy? Having said that, it's a nice place to kill some time but it may not be your thing. A taxi one way to South Beach would be about 20 bucks, plus tip.

The Miami airport is an airport. Last time we were through, there was a lot of congestion and construction; it has your basic airport food and stores. A taxi to the airport should be the 24.00 flat rate, plus tip.

You could also plan to be one of the last ones off the ship, and then just head to the airport at your leisure. This might put you there just before noon.

Have a fun cruise.:)

I didn't want us to have to worry and rush to make it off the ship when we debark in Miami at the end of our June cruise, so I booked us a 4pm flight back to DFW (Delta).

Now I'm feeling like that's too much time to sit around the airport, and not enough time to really "do" anything. Renting a car and returning it for $50+ for the day seems like a waste of both time and money (from what I've read, to rent a car we'd have to shuttle all the way back to the airport, get the car, and THEN head wherever we're going). We've never been to Miami and I'm clueless.

From the port, should we

a) take a taxi over to bayside, kill a few hours, and then head to the airport after lunch by taxi?

b) take a taxi to south beach, kill a few hours, and then head to the airport after lunch by taxi?

c) go rent a car and do one of the above, bc those taxi rides are going to add up to $50+ car rental fare anyway?

d) take a taxi straight to the airport. Are there restaurants or shopping or anything to kill a few hours before we head in to the airport and through security?

Rent a car off priceline or hotwire. You can get a car for less than $20 depending upon the time of year. Head to South Beach, Coconut Grove, or Coral Gables and have a nice lunch. Go tour Vizcaya or head out to Key Biscayne.

Why would you want to go to Bayside?

This happened to us in San Diego our last cruise. We didn't plan ahead with what to do with our luggage so we were forced to rent a car close to the port at the last minute and it was a fortune. Basically, we spent over $100 to store our luggage for a few hours. I'd plan ahead and rent a car early.

. . . Renting a car and returning it for $50+ for the day seems like a waste of both time and money (from what I've read, to rent a car we'd have to shuttle all the way back to the airport, get the car, and THEN head wherever we're going). We've never been to Miami and I'm clueless. . . .

Factoring in transfers/taxi rides and depending on the number in your group a car rental may be the most cost effective. Especially when you factor in luggage.

You do not necessarily have to shuttle all the way to the airport to pick up a rental. Hertz, for one, has a location less than 5 minutes from the port. They run a complimentary shuttle between the cruise terminals and this location. (Some rental companies do service the port from their airport location, so best to check before making a reservation.) In January when we got off Jewel I took the shuttle, got a car, returned to the port to pick up the rest of my group and the luggage. We were in South Beach 5 minutes later. All told it took about 30 minutes.

Archived