Would anyone consider retirement on a ship?

Ryan Wahlstrom

Hi all,

Now that my husband and I have both retired we can really take advantage of the 55+

senior discounts.

He and I will be doing our 17/18/19 cruises beginning in September and ending in

October. I've not counted the actual sea days before this cruise, but most of them have been 10 days or longer with 3 transatlantic crossings.

We will be doing a 14 day (Constellation) Canada/New England ending in Cape Liberty, New Jersey. We will then jump back into the car (drove up from Houston, Texas) and drive down to Ft. Lauderdale to board the Infinity for a 24 day BTB from Lauderdale to San Diego and return. I call this our "practice" cruise to see if we can really enjoy staying aboard for an extended period of time. We have NEVER wanted to get off of any cruise when the time came.

If it is as good as I think (being pampered, fed, taken care of, etc.) I think I'll talk my husband into selling the house (the kids don't need it anyway) and go on a "round the world" cruise. (Ya, I wish! Will have to see how this works out.

Bon Voyage to all!

If I could afford it and a cruiseline had special resident rates, YES IN A HEARTBEAT. And by special resident rates I don't mean the kind that Royal Caribbean gives because you live in a certain state, but resident as in being a resident onboard. :p

I would also love to retire to a cruiseship - and they don't always go to the same places I thought I would summer in AK or Canada and winter in Hawaii or the Caribbean - I expect you could work with a cruise line to be on 2-3 different ships that went to different places and you would always be meeting new people but have the same crew and they would get to know you and it seems they are pretty good to permanent residents from what I have read. I was on the QE2 for her 40th anniversary cruise and their "resident" was not on that cruise - they probably could rent her cabin for more than what she was paying regularly. My daughter thinks this sounds crazy but she is not the huge fan of cruising that I am!!!

Sunward - Nassau 1967

Monarch of the Seas -Southern Caribbean - 2001

Grand Princess - Canada/New England 2004

QE2 - 2007 -QE2 40th Anniversary Cruise -UK/Scotland

Infinity -2008

Millenium - Akaska -2008

I would absolutely LOVE it if I could afford it. ;) I would like to live on the ship for a couple years, then maybe "do land" for a couple years. Then make a decision as to lifetime ship!:D And I wouldn't care where it went either, just being on the sea would be enough. However, as lady-cruiser said, they'd have to have special rates because I would have to have a verandah cabin or suite, at a minimum. I mean, if I'm going to be on it for a year or more, I couldn't stand anything less.:eek:

Maybe one of the cruise lines will pick this up and run with it, we can only hope.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

You betcha!!! My longest cruise was 46 days "Around the Horn of So. America" and when it docked, I didn't want to get off.

For me, that was my 33/34/35 cruise. Have been there done that, so wouldn't care what ports the ship cruised too.

Has anyone done any research as to what the cost would be? And what cruise lines would offer that?

I imagine with the economy what it is today, a good offer could be made.

A lady here in South Florida has cruised 87 times in a row rather than go to retirement home! Also, interesting, news out today of a new cruise company in Ft. Lauderdale that sells 1/100th ownership of a cruise ship for retirees to live onboard!

Hmmm.....Very interesting. I will have to let my old folks know the joys of a cruise. :)

I think it would be a great thing to live on a cruise ship for 6 months and see if it would be something you'd want to continue. I wonder how you would go about that, contact different cruise lines and ask? Has anyone ever done any investigation into this!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I too would love to live on a ship as opposed to a Nursing Faclity.

I read about the lady who lived on the QE2 and she loved it....till..she had to find new digs. Wonder where she is living now.

If I could afford it, that is where I would retire to. :)

7 to 10 times pr year is ok

We met a British couple who've retired to Spain, and have a friendly TA who rings at the last minute, with cheap cruises-GO NOW!-and they're off. They pack their suitcases again as soon as they return, and wait .....7 times in the last 10 months.

Mmmm. The thought of living on a cruise ship is very interesting. I suppose that you could very well sell your house, give the good stuff to your sons or daughters before you die, make all your arrangements and move from one ship to another. If it worked out to average $100 a day, per person, or $36,500 a year would you do it? I would think the price would be closer to $200 a day average for a decent balcony cabin, and lets say you only cruised 300 days a year giving you 65 days to visit relatives, move between ships once in a while, and take care of business. That works out to be $60,000 a year per person, not counting tips and a drink or two evey day. No doubt you would get discounts, upgrades or even some special rate for being a supper cruiser, but you cannot count on that. Now, what is the cost of an assisted living center? I don't know, but if it was even close, I'd take the cruise for the mental stimulation, people, and world knowledge.

OK so you are now retired on a cruise ship.

Now comes the day for your heart attack or your stroke. You are presently in the harbor of a 3rd world country.

Now how do you like cruising full time as you are put off of the vessel in that port with very limited medical help. After you are better (if you live) you are moved into a nursing home in that 3rd world country.

Now that is the REAL thing you should be thinking about.

OK so you are now retired on a cruise ship.

Now comes the day for your heart attack or your stroke. You are presently in the harbor of a 3rd world country.

Now how do you like cruising full time as you are put off of the vessel in that port with very limited medical help. After you are better (if you live) you are moved into a nursing home in that 3rd world country.

Now that is the REAL thing you should be thinking about.

I totally agree with you, but it's nice to dream! When you stop dreaming, might as well be dead!

Steamboatin

Your scenario could happen ANY time, at ANY age. So, we should not travel or cruise because something might happen?

This 79 yr old, is not about to stay at home.

But a thoughtful response on your part.

Being a retired military member I can easily do it now on a Carnival vessel is I so desired.

To avoid or minimize my being put off a vessel at a bad port I could hedge my bet on a future health problem by cruising on Eastern Carribean, Alaskan, or Canada/New England cruises to ports with good medical facilities. If I wanted to cruise NCL the Hawaii Island cruise would be a good option as well.

Otherwise you are just rolling the dice. It is not a question if it will happen it is just a question of when and where it will happen.

Also family will have real fun getting you or your body back home.

We all roll the dice every morning not knowing what life has instore for us that day. So personally would enjoy living on a cruise ship. It's my favorite thing to do. So if that big heart attack came, it would have come at a time I was doing what I enjoyed most.

A few years back, I met couple on a Mediteranian Cruise that sold everything and would book back to back cruisesf or 3 months at a time Than owould return back to the states for all their doctors /Dentist appointments. Repart the process on and on.

Prior to doing this they had bought a condo in Florida. Thinking their Kids and grandkids would visit but they never did. Than moved into a retirement development and didn't like that. So they decided to sell everything and cruise. They were so happy and doing what they loved. The surprising thing their kids started booking cruises on the same ship and they all ended up enjoying the arrangment. They said that after a while all the crew came to know them and watch out for them. The head chef asked them for some of their favorite recipes so he could prepare their special comfort foods. They negotiated their booking only with the Cruise Line Management to ensure that they could cut the the bes deal . They also negotiated that if their cabin had to be moved during one of the 3 month rotations that the crew would assist them with the packing and moving cabins. Their big suggestion was to always have lots of single dollar bills handy as a little extract cash tipping would get them just about anything they needed.

I understand about concerns for medical coverage, but MedJet

offers reasonable annual medical evacuation policies.

You can also get travel insurance that has medical evacution included. Pre-exiting conditions can be waved provided the insurance is booked within a certain time period from the initial cruise booking. General 10-15 days depending on the insurance company. I do this for all my regular.

Archived