Would anyone consider retirement on a ship?

Ryan Wahlstrom

Except for the fact that I'd dearly miss my cats, I'd cruise forever. And if you're asking me "cruise or retirement home", cruise wins hands down.

I get a heart attack/stroke in a 3rd world country? Hey, guys, roll me off the ship. Save the $$, save any remaining relatives "back home" the trouble.

I'd have to do the math, though. And start selling off stuff.. :)

hmmm, I wonder what the income tax implications would be if you spent most of your time at sea? No more payments to Revenue Canada (or IRS)!:D

Bodger

Bodger, you make me laugh! Never thought of that one living at sea, you would not have to pay taxes as you do not own anything right?

Now if I only had the half a million to buy a cabin on that ship :p

Do you think that the Limerick woman who won 88 million euros in the lottery has bought a home on "The World"? I don't know how you could go on living just as normal with that amount....jocap.

Do you think that the Limerick woman who won 88 million euros in the lottery has bought a home on "The World"? I don't know how you could go on living just as normal with that amount....jocap.

Now that is an interesting statement, makes you wonder doesn't it?

Sometime last year, I posted a link to this article on my blog:

The Endless Retirement Cruise- Who Needs a Traditional Community

As for me- well, we're in our mid-50's, and for the past couple of years I've been trying to convince DH to sell everything and backpack around the world for a few years.

Once we've seen all we want to see on foot, then I'd jump at the chance to spend at least a few years at sea- and I only started cruising this year!

Here's a link to an article about a couple who were mentioned in the article above. They're leading a life that I would love (until the urge to be at sea got overwhelming ;)):

At Home in the World: The Adventures of Stan & Marcia

BTW- as far as paying taxes if you live at sea, I'm a US ex-pat, and I have to file a US tax return every year. The US taxes any income that originates in the States - including pension and social security. I have a feeling they don't care if you're living on land or at sea!

i love my dogs, i love cruising..idealy i could bring my dog s with me..:D

I believe that I saw very fancy kennels on the Queen Mary 2. Now if I had the 88 million euros and a dog I would be all set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would absolutely LOVE it if I could afford it. ;) I would like to live on the ship for a couple years, then maybe "do land" for a couple years. Then make a decision as to lifetime ship!:D And I wouldn't care where it went either, just being on the sea would be enough. However, as lady-cruiser said, they'd have to have special rates because I would have to have a verandah cabin or suite, at a minimum. I mean, if I'm going to be on it for a year or more, I couldn't stand anything less.:eek:

Maybe one of the cruise lines will pick this up and run with it, we can only hope.

Sue

--and don't forget your glass of wine everynight!!! Corkey Carol

You betcha!!! My longest cruise was 46 days "Around the Horn of So. America" and when it docked, I didn't want to get off.

For me, that was my 33/34/35 cruise. Have been there done that, so wouldn't care what ports the ship cruised too.

Has anyone done any research as to what the cost would be? And what cruise lines would offer that?

I imagine with the economy what it is today, a good offer could be made.

Hi Doris!! go for it if it's what you want -

you can also entertain and maybe they will give you a discount for that - Corkey carol

What a great thought!

Unfoturnately, I am addicted to the "suite life"....twice a year at one week at a time is all that I can justify the Owner's Suite. (and even then, I have to "discuss" it with myself!)

Well, while you are discussing this subject with yourself, you can also share some of your views and chit chats with us on the Left Coast Cruisers thread - just click on my link -- Corkey Carol

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love cruising - NO WAY. It would be fun for a while and then I would start climbing the walls if I knew it wasn't going to end. Would love to do a world cruise but at some point I would be happy to get back home and drive my car, go to the mall, watch my 500 channels of TV, bake some cookies, work in my garden.................

As much as I love cruising - NO WAY. It would be fun for a while and then I would start climbing the walls if I knew it wasn't going to end. Would love to do a world cruise but at some point I would be happy to get back home and drive my car, go to the mall, watch my 500 channels of TV, bake some cookies, work in my garden.................

I guess I would not want to pay tips forever either!

ha!ha! Corkey

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a reporter at the New York Times, working on a couple of cruising related stories, and looking for suggestions of people to talk to.

1) long-term cruisers, like the 87-year-old woman mentioned in the earlier post who might otherwise be in a nursing home. Does anyone know how I can find her or someone else like her?

2) "Bucket-list" travelers. I'm looking to speak to people who have, perhaps because of a life-threatening illness -- like the characters in the movie, "Bucket List," a few years ago -- or for other reasons, been suddenly galvanized into travel and adventure.

Please send replies to: kjohn@nytimes.com or kirk.johnson58@gmail.com

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Two winners in the Euro lottery have just gained 44 million euros.

Both are from the UK........

So, once the champagne head's gone, I'll be booking a life on the Queen Mary........................

jocap.

Archived