Sailing Solo

custompcsys

I've done 6 previous Princess cruises. In those trips only once did I have a solo cabin, but I was traveling with a group of friends, so I always had companions for dinner, shore excursions, etc. The other times I have traveled with family and always shared a cabin.

I am thinking of trying a cruise completely solo for the first time this October, looking at the Emerald eastern caribbean itinerary. Even though I've done this itinerary before I am just looking for an October cruise getaway and I wouldnt mind visiting the ports again....and the price is right :) Cruising with family is great and I love their company, but some freedom is nice too!

My question is....any thoughts from those of you who have cruised solo before about trying it for the first time? I travel for business about 40 weeks per year and am very used to traveling on my own, so I'm not really concerned about that part. I also know I can share a larger table at dinner (I am an anytime dining fan) if I want company. Have you met people to join up on excursions with or ended up with a dinner companion? Are the solo cruiser get-togethers I've seen in the Patters worth attending? Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc. would be appreciated! :)

I've done 6 previous Princess cruises. In those trips only once did I have a solo cabin, but I was traveling with a group of friends, so I always had companions for dinner, shore excursions, etc. The other times I have traveled with family and always shared a cabin.

I am thinking of trying a cruise completely solo for the first time this October, looking at the Emerald eastern caribbean itinerary. Even though I've done this itinerary before I am just looking for an October cruise getaway and I wouldnt mind visiting the ports again....and the price is right :) Cruising with family is great and I love their company, but some freedom is nice too!

My question is....any thoughts from those of you who have cruised solo before about trying it for the first time? I travel for business about 40 weeks per year and am very used to traveling on my own, so I'm not really concerned about that part. I also know I can share a larger table at dinner (I am an anytime dining fan) if I want company. Have you met people to join up on excursions with or ended up with a dinner companion? Are the solo cruiser get-togethers I've seen in the Patters worth attending? Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc. would be appreciated! :)

General thoughts: If you are okay to just kick back and relax and you don't always need someone there to entertain you, you should be okay. Also, if you want to meet new people, people on cruises are open to meet new people - however, you need to put forth effort (go to events, talk to new people at dinner, etc.). I recommend that you check out the solo board - lots more people that always go solo.

My experience is that for the solo traveler, traditional dining is a tad more advantageous. At least once a day, you are guaranteed to see the same faces (other than your cabin attendant). That said, on my two Adventure of the Seas cruises, I ate every evening in the specialty restaurant and had a great time too (plus infinitely better food).

Traveling solo left me much more relaxed after the week than when traveling with others as one doesn't have to adjust one's schedule for other people (i.e. sleep as much/little/often as I desired, eat whenever (except dinner), do anything or nothing at all, etc.).

Cruising solo is quite nice!!!

I've only cruised alone once, but it was about my 5th cruise or so, and I knew that while I might be alone, I would never be lonely. I had also traveled extensively alone on business before, and had learned to be totally comfortable dining and sightseeing alone.

Saying that, I did enjoy traditional dining (this was on Celebrity; it's all they offered) as it brought me together with the same people every night. And whoever arranged the seating did a great job...we had two married couples and 4 singles at the table, and got along great. I also ate in the dining room for breakfast and lunch each day, so as to meet new people, and on the second day met two ladies about my age, also married, also traveling without husbands. We got along so well that I have since been to South America, Australia and China with one of them, and have two life-long friends.

I would cruise alone again in a heartbeat. It's the single supplement that stings.

I have cruised solo a few times and have really enjoyed it. I sign up for late/traditional/large table and have been really lucky in meeting some wonderful people. I also join in on the roll call and have been fortunate to meet people who want to do things that we have planned as a group. Have never been lonely and have also enjoyed the privacy of having my own cabin and dancing to the beat of my own drum. :p

Whilst I have never travelled solo on a cruise I have travelled, like you extensively worldwide with work. If you are OK with travelling alone I would imagine that cruising solo should be a piece of cake. Actually if you think about it cruising brings out the best in us all for meeting new people. Just have a great time, I'm sure you'll love it.

Anthony

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc. would be appreciated! :)

I love the freedom of solo cruising. I do recommend getting involved on your sailing's roll call so you'll have some "old friends you haven't yet met" with whom to arrange excursions, meals, etc. when you're feeling sociable.

The Singles & Solos board here on CC (under Special Interest Cruising) is a great resource full of friendly folks, too.

Caro

I've cruised quite a few times as a single in a cabin but haven't been truly solo as I've had family and/or friends also on the cruise. I'm going completely solo in April on a Mex Riviera cruise for several reasons: my usual cruising family/friends are going their separate ways on trips that I decided not to take so they'll be gone; the price was VERY good; I don't have to fly to the port; and, I've done this cruise a couple of times before so if I don't feel like getting off in port, I don't have to. I've got an "AD" mini-suite and plan to hang out on my balcony a good deal of the time. Like the others who have posted, I've got late traditional seating so I've got a place to go to for dinner.

I've been to a couple of solo get-togethers and they were pretty bad. Either elderly people (I'm not young and they were still elderly in my eyes) or people "on the make." After seeing a woman latch onto a man as though they were on a desert island, I've avoided them ever since. I'd rather join group activities such as trivia to meet people.

I think Anytime is never a good option for a person cruising alone who wants to meet people. It is extremely difficult over the course of one dinner to get beyond the introductions and small-talk and so you have night after night of the same basic conversation without really getting to know anyone. In Traditional, you have the time to move beyond the basics of where ya from, whaddya do, and instead there's a group you can share your day with and hear about theirs and you'll find that maybe you'll go to the shows together and develop a real "outside the dining room" relationship. In Anytime you have no history with the table: it's like that movie called "50 First Dates" with the girl who had amnesia and every date with her long-time boyfriend was like a first date -- that to me is the Dantean inferno of Anytime!

Yes, to what Pam said about the solo get-togethers. I can't imagine they'd be anything other than hideous! But do join your roll call and meet up with everyone on sailaway -- you'll at least know a few other people onbard right away. And certainly don't feel hesitant to go on excursions alone. It's no big deal.

But do join your roll call and meet up with everyone on sailaway -- you'll at least know a few other people onbard right away. And certainly don't feel hesitant to go on excursions alone. It's no big deal.
Good advice re: roll call. I go on excursions solo even when I'm cruising with family/friends and it's not a big deal.

I did a couple solo's on Blackbeards but a liveaboard 60' sloop gets you knowing everyone pretty quick. One Carnival solo also and traditional dining did help to meet and get to know a few. I did end up exploring a port or two with some of them and it was a hoot. Single specific gatherings are usually a let down IMHO. It sounds like you don't mind a little solitude as well and that's sure easy to do too!

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. Based on everything I heard I called my TA today and booked, so I will be on the Emerald for the 10/11 sailing, solo with an inside on the Plaza deck (P319). Heard that is a convenient location so I decided to give it a try when it came up as available. I also selected early traditional dining - another first for me - based on the advise of folks here.

Off I go to join the roll call! Thanks again :)

In addition to what everyone has said you will get credit for 2 cruises towards your Captains Circle level when you travel solo.

Cool! I didn't know you got an extra credit for the solo cabin....every little bit helps towards that Elite status! ;) My TA also got me a $75 OBC in addition to the OBC for using my future cruise credit...at least my auto-gratuities are covered!:)

Archived