Puerto Rico Question

You're most likely stopping in San Juan (can't think of any other ports). There are always the forts to visit. One is a short walk from the ship, the other a bit longer, but you could take the free bus to visit them.

You'll be in Old San Juan, which is very nice to check out on foot as well. Have a bite to eat of local food, or if you luck out, visit a street fair if it happens to be going on the day you're there.

There are also duty free shops right in the terminal.

If you enjoy walking, it is a great place to just get off the ship and wander through the old city. Lots of interesting architecture, old churches and forts to see. And if you tire of that, there is lots of shopping and restaurants too. We had a great time just wandering around there. grab a map at the tourist info centre and go for it.

There is a visitor center right near the pier on the main street, go in there, get a free rum drink and then hop the free trolley over to the forts, walk back on the main streets to the pier from El Morro, browse in the shops and stop and get a snack in the local restaurants.

Makes a very nice inexpensive day in San Juan

There are a ton of things to do in Old San Juan and the town is easily accessible by foot! There are the two forts as previously mentioned: El Morro (which is probably a bit farther from the pier) and San Cristobal. They are both interesting with beautiful views and you can purchase a pass that will allow you entry at both. If I recall correctly, there is a pretty cool cemetery next to El Morro.

If you enjoy walking, there is a walking tour you can find on the Frommers website. You could also just get a map and leisurely explore on your own. Old San Juan is really beautiful and not so big that you would get lost or find yourself running late to get back to the ship.

If you are a shopper, there is good shopping on Calle San Cristo and Calle San Francisco.

If you are into tours, you could take a ferry to the Barcardi Rum Factory. The ferry is very inexpensive and the Bacardi tour is free (at least it was in 2006), interesting, and you get samples of Bacardi drinks.

If you're into nature, El Yunque (rainforest) is beautiful, but it's a good hour drive out of San Juan so your best bet there would be an excursion through the ship.

If you like to eat out when you are in port, there are so many good options in Old San Juan. If you are off the ship in the late morning, La Bombonera is the place to go for a killer breakfast! Their mallorcas and cafe con leche are too good! The restaurant is also open for lunch, though I am partial to their breakfast. Parrot Club has a fun atmosphere and tasty mojitos (and food of course!:D). I also like El Patio de Sam for delicious burgers! There are so many good places to eat in San Juan, it's a tough choice...

No matter what you choose to do, it's hard to go wrong in San Juan. So have a great time!

Havn't been there yet:) but I've discovered that RCI Adventurer of the Sea uses the Pan American pier, which isn't walkable to old San Jaun, you need to take a short taxi ride around to the other side of the harbour. Hopefully you will use the "close" piers right at the visitors center.

Havn't been there yet:) but I've discovered that RCI Adventurer of the Sea uses the Pan American pier, which isn't walkable to old San Jaun, you need to take a short taxi ride around to the other side of the harbour. Hopefully you will use the "close" piers right at the visitors center.

Adventure OTS sails from San Juan. From what I've seen most ships with itineraries originating in San Juan use the Pan American pier. On the other hand ships spending just a day in San Juan usually dock at the old city piers.

Thank you so much for the information. I was wondering if the Independence did dock near the old town and visitor center. Has anyone been on the Independence recently to let me know where it does dock? "WanderlustAgain" were you on the Independence? Again thanks, very helpful info. We are looking forward to visiting a port we have never been to.

Independence usually docks at Pier 3 in Old San Juan (across from the Sheraton OSJ). If she is not at Pier 3, she will be at Pier 4 (right next door). Since Pier 3 has opened, RCCL only uses the Pan Am Pier for cruises that begin or end in San Juan.

Bobbie: I have not had the luck of sailing on the Independence so I am not 100% sure where it would dock. However, I've heard the same thing that broberts was saying:

From what I've seen most ships with itineraries originating in San Juan use the Pan American pier. On the other hand ships spending just a day in San Juan usually dock at the old city piers.
I have a hard time believing they would drop visitors off at Pan American Pier because it is not in a very touristy location. But even on the off chance that you did end up at the Pan American Pier, it's a very short cab ride to Old San Juan.

You'll have a great time!!! :D

Zoey1: I have never really done much beach time in San Juan. A lot of the hotels in the Condado area have their own little strips of beach (I think...:confused:). We went to Luquillo Beach once and it was nice, but it is a good distance from San Juan, near El Yunque. Here is a list of top ten beaches and/or parks in San Juan (well, top 10 as far as this website is concerned): http://www.10best.com/San_Juan,PR/Attractions_&_Activities/Parks_&_Beaches/

Archived