Nudity on the balcony... y or n?

gaubow

Yes, I would absolutely feel the same (and I did when it was my 13 year old son and a topless female in Germany). What would be wrong about it? It's not as if he were purposely exposing himself for some prurient purpose.

If you don't want to see it, avert your eyes. It's not as if they were on your balcony.....

I find it kind of funny how we are all told by others on this board that what someone is wearing shouldn't impact our dining experience in the dining room (and if it does, we are "snobs"). But heaven help us if someone is without clothing on their balcony!

I don't care as long as I don't have to look at it. But face it, some people who want to sit nekkid on their balconies ARE exhibitionists looking for shock value, and are going to sit where it's pretty hard to miss them. Where do you draw the line.

On my Carnival Conquest cruise last May, there was a small gap between the divider and the railing. I could actually see the next-door balconies reflection in their glass panel below the railing. And on another cruise (either the Norwegian Star in 2003 or the Rhapsody of the Seas in May, 2006 -- I don't remember), people in the Lido could see into my balcony -- a cabin on the port side 2nd from the front of the ship.

Oh, and one time a window washer was directly outside our balcony when we were docked. I bet he gets great "flashes" sometimes. And not a balcony, but I hear sometimes people forget to shut curtains in a Royal Caribbean promenade-view cabin, giving the people across the promenade quite a show. Oh, and there are threads about people getting locked out on their balcony -- Now that would be really embarrassing if you were, um, sans clothing.

Edited by Jimnbigd

I think just about anybody that has had a balcony has gone out there naked for a minute at one point or another!

Highly doubtful. I'm guessing that it's a very, very small fraction of people who have gone onto their balcony fully naked. In robes, sure. But naked, I'll guess less than 5%.

Highly doubtful. I'm guessing that it's a very, very small fraction of people who have gone onto their balcony fully naked. In robes, sure. But naked, I'll guess less than 5%.

I'd be willing to bet it's a much much higher number than you think. And if you add in the number of people that stroll out in their undies, the numbers would go up even more. Bathrobes? That's probably more like 5%.

Try to check everything like walls, cameras, and everything. But if you're doubtful about it, I would say "don't do it.." :)

(I think somebody's been watching too many "Spy" movies.) Maybe while you're at it, you could sweep the cabin for bugs (as in listening devices).:D

I somehow fail to understand what danger/bad repercussion would result from a child seeing someone who was nude? Surely it is all in how the parent responds to it and what they say.

Nudity is natural and accepted in many if not most cultures outside the US. In Japan it is considered perfectly natural for families to all bathe together in the family bath au naturel, and they will do the same in a shared bath (onsen) in a Japanese-style lodging.

In Europe, it is acceptable at most beaches to go topless (for women) and to change clothes (e.g., out of swimsuit and into dry clothes) in full view of others on the beach.

In Israel last year, I visited the Dead Sea, stopping first at a kibbutz that featured hot mineral springs and mineral mud baths. In the hot bath inside (fed from the springs), I was the only person wearing a swimsuit. The area was separated by sexes, but young male children were perfectly welcome in the women's area. Neither of the two I saw seemed in the least upset or traumatized.....

While I am a modest type who would never consider it myself, I am perfectly fine if others want to be nude in a situation where it is appropriate. I would think a balcony that is semi-private is as good a place as any. And if I had a child who happened to see some nudity (as my own did in the course of our travels), I'd just explain to him or her that nudity is natural and there is nothing wrong with it at the appropriate time/place.

Well said, Cynthia!

Happy New Year- miss you!

Ruth

I am going on the Carnival Elation, It has an "adult deck" Is it okay to go topless on the adult deck? I would so go nude on my balcony but I dont have one... I say its your balcony your free to do as you will I sun tan naked in my back yard... Yes its not in public view but the mail man has pulled up once or twice, I have a towel next to me cover up and all is right in the world.. Kids need to be taught to mind their own business sometime in life!

No it is not. The 'adult deck' is the aft of the Promenade deck, totally viewable from Lido deck. Used to be the children's area. Carnival Fantasy class used to have a top optional deck, up by the funnel, but it is now the mini-golf course. EM

Boy, I'm slow. It looks like you can't PM (private message) on this forum, combine that with not being able to say "nood" purposely mis-spelled, and there is no way I can tell you of the cruise line for naturists, so you will just need to use your search engine.

Boy, I'm slow. It looks like you can't PM (private message) on this forum, combine that with not being able to say "nood" purposely mis-spelled, and there is no way I can tell you of the cruise line for naturists, so you will just need to use your search engine.

bare necessities travel..................several reviews of their cruises have been done........

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread.

What I learned:

A few cruisers are logical - they can go out on the balcony and tell if it is adequately private or not (this seems very difficult for many others...sheesh)

Many cruisers seem to think whatever situation they had on their balcony will be the same for all other cruisers...not a very bright assessment. Almost certain to be wrong everytime.

Many cruisers seem perfectly happy to expect that their personal morals should be adopted by everyone else. Wow. Go back to the 1950's ok?

Some seem to believe that their balcony will be on camera. Maybe, but mostly I doubt it. Yes there are cameras that look along the sides of the ship but they do not look into most balconies. That would be a gross invasion of privacy and the cruise companies know it.

Many people seem to think that balcony behavior should be predicated on the possibility that your neighbors might peak. That's a sad attitude. Just like my room, if you peak in and you see stuff you do not want to see, you have no one to blame but yourself. Same goes for your kids. This assumes that the balcony is not generally visible from other places on the ship, obviously. I (like 99% here) would not be naked where I can be seen inappropriately. But I will be naked where I have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If you have to crane your head around the partition to see a balcony that looks exactly like yours then you are simply a peeping tom.

Many people seem to assume that those who want frisky behavior will not be subtle about it. This is far from the truth. I expect the vast majority of balcony play is done with appropriate caution. There is a vast difference between wild monkey s*x in the middle of the day and a quiet love fest in the wee hours with the lights out.

A minority here seem really uptight. You need to get out more... Yikes.

Thoughts:

Meet your neighbors. A quick howdy and you will have a good idea about the risk of inappropriate interactions. Plus, a smiling acquaintenship goes a long way to smoothing out any friction.

Your steward knows what you are doing. They probably know it before you do. I doubt it takes long before they can characterize every type of cruiser within one minute of meeting. But this is a good thing. You can ask them how private your balcony might be. They will not be offended. They see it every day.

Some simple and obvious logic and you are home free. Assess your privacy. Assess how dark it is at night. Be aware of your neighbors presence. Simply staying back from the outside edge might afford enough privacy. Listen for other people around you - if you can hear them, they can hear you... Etc. It's not rocket science.

Cheers

Edited by igneouss