What has been your experience with getting the military discount?

flashdog_1

When I called NCl today they said I had to have the proof to them in 7 days, and gave me an email address (militarydesk@ncl.com) that would send me the form to email back to them.

I did get an immediate response saying they'd received my email, but no form.

NCL is basing my fare on the military and lattitudes discounts (it amounts to about 20% combined) so I hope everything goes smoothly.

I'd like to hear from others what their time frame was on the reply etc. Thanks

You can download the form from the website, fill it out and email it to the military desk. I did this and got a confirmation that they received it. Just to be safe, make sure you take proof of military service when you go to the pier, retired ID card, DD214 or such.

What I saw on the website (or gee, maybe it was another website) was a form to fill out to join a $59 a year organization that gave lots of benefits to veterans. I didn't want to do that. NCL said I didn't have to. I just have to have my husband's discharge form saying he was honorably discharged (Viet Nam). Yes it's a DD214.

Wish I'd known about the discount on previous cruises! Is it offered only occasionally or is it for every cruise? Thanks

What is the latitude discount? We just got a union discount (could of got the military) but was not aware there was a latitude one as well. Always thought it was for specific cruises only. The union and military discount for our cruise was very small and we could only use one or the other. Our savings for 2 was a total of $56. I guess the further out you book the better. We sail next month and I booked last week.

It was a very simple process. The military desk sent me the paperwork and I filled it out and returned it to them. I asked them to let me know if my form was approved. They confirmed that everything was approved. I asked my PCC to send me a new confirmation booking receipt and it showed the discount. Everything was approved in less than a week.

I joined Military Advantage because NCL wouldn't take my late husband's DD214 as proof that I'm a military widow (has to be a commissioned officer or something). Anyway, I paid $59 for this for a year and have been getting the military discount since.

Another question ... Military Advantage includes travel insurance. Should I get more insurance for cruising?

We book with the Latitudes member discount and the military discount. Chris just wants me to hurry up and turn 55.:) The last cruise we were looking at, the difference amounted to $1149 stated price vs $916 with discounts.

What is the latitude discount? We just got a union discount (could of got the military) but was not aware there was a latitude one as well. Always thought it was for specific cruises only. The union and military discount for our cruise was very small and we could only use one or the other. Our savings for 2 was a total of $56. I guess the further out you book the better. We sail next month and I booked last week.

You are right. That is what they told me: the earlier you book it, the larger the discount.

Some of the various discounts cannot be combined. You would have to take your pick according to which one gave you the better deal. The agent will advise you what the fare would be with each, or just tell you which is the best deal.

I don't know if there are latitudes pricing on all sailings, but when I bought my first Future Cruise Credit ($250 on board) and called NCL, they said they had latitudes pricing for all sailings. So I don't know if it's all the time, or just with the Future Cruise Credit. Anyone know?

You are right. That is what they told me: the earlier you book it, the larger the discount.

Some of the various discounts cannot be combined. You would have to take your pick according to which one gave you the better deal. The agent will advise you what the fare would be with each, or just tell you which is the best deal, or if you can combine.

I don't know if there are latitudes pricing on all sailings, but when I bought my first Future Cruise Credit ($250 on board) and called NCL, they said they had latitudes pricing for all sailings. So I don't know if it's all the time, or just with the Future Cruise Credit. Anyone know?

Here's the information on NCL's website:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=VeteransAdvantage

My experience just this week was completely painless. I asked my PCC to book me at the Military Rate and she did, but first she took $100PP Latitudes discount off the top, saying the two were combineable. She just told me to download the Military Appreciation Form from the website and fax it to the Military desk. I did that (and included a copy of my DD214 although the form didn't ask for it). The next day my PCC called me to tell me the Military Desk had put a note on the reservation to show that the Military Appreciation Form was in-house.

Like other posters have stated I have never had a problem getting the military discound. Infact my PCC naturally just adds it in for me unless the union discount is better, but its usually the same.

I've gotten the form within 24hrs and filled it out faxed a copy of my dd214 and always received confirmation from my PCC that its been applied. I have never had to show proof at the pier when boarding.

We the Jewel with Latitude discount...called a few weeks later...asked if I could add the military discount...was told yes,,,(this was thru NCL)...received the new price reciept immediately thru email, filled out form emailed to us...and told to bring the dd214 with us.

I booked in Nov. for upcoming cruise in May and was given $500 off price for Military and $450 OBC for past guest. It does depend on what cruise you are taking that they apply the Military discount. TA e-mailed me the form and I filled it out and scanned it back. Never had a problem.

I had already bought and paid for our cruise when I found out about the military discount. I called NCL last week and she told me no problem just send the form in and I should get a discount. Well I emailed and Faxed them a copy last Saturday. All I got was a email reply that they received my email. Nothing since and I sent another email asking the status on Monday. I got another email that said it would take 48-72 hours to get a reply. After 96 hours I sent another email asking what happened or what's the status. Never heard another word. I guess I'm not getting any discount but I think they should at least answer my email.

I had already bought and paid for our cruise when I found out about the military discount. I called NCL last week and she told me no problem just send the form in and I should get a discount. Well I emailed and Faxed them a copy last Saturday. All I got was a email reply that they received my email. Nothing since and I sent another email asking the status on Monday. I got another email that said it would take 48-72 hours to get a reply. After 96 hours I sent another email asking what happened or what's the status. Never heard another word. I guess I'm not getting any discount but I think they should at least answer my email.

I would call my TA or PCC at NCL - they can check the status and get you a revised confirmation.

If this was for your 3/1/09 Spirit cruise the miliary discount is probably no longer available. You're too close to sailing.

I believe your problem is you aregoing out of the chain of command. In your last post, you said you booked through a TA, and in the earlier, you called NCL, and they said you should get a discount. I would assume NCL talked to you in general terms, as they will not discuss the specifics of a booking from a TA with you, as your TA "owns" the booking. Your TA telling you that you won't get the discount, infers to me they have applied some kind of discount themselves; therefore, the pricing cannot be changed at this point. NCL does a great job with their military/veterens advantage, and are diligent in giving the credit to all who deseve it.

Al

I believe your problem is you aregoing out of the chain of command. In your last post, you said you booked through a TA, and in the earlier, you called NCL, and they said you should get a discount. I would assume NCL talked to you in general terms, as they will not discuss the specifics of a booking from a TA with you, as your TA "owns" the booking. Your TA telling you that you won't get the discount, infers to me they have applied some kind of discount themselves; therefore, the pricing cannot be changed at this point. NCL does a great job with their military/veterens advantage, and are diligent in giving the credit to all who deseve it.

Al

I agree. I am new at this and learning.

I agree. I am new at this and learning.

Good. Hope you enjoy your cruise, and if you intend to sail again with NCL, take advantage of the Future Cruise Credit ($250 on board), which gets you a $100 OBC on the cruise you are on, and the $250 can be used for your next cruise, and combined with you veterans advantage discount. Also, remember the further out you book, the greater the discount from military advantage.

• 5% off all cruises booked less than 60 days prior to sailing
  • 10% off all cruises booked within 61 - 120 days prior to sailing.
  • 15% off all cruises booked more than 121 days prior to sailing.

Al

Good. Hope you enjoy your cruise, and if you intend to sail again with NCL, take advantage of the Future Cruise Credit ($250 on board), which gets you a $100 OBC on the cruise you are on, and the $250 can be used for your next cruise, and combined with you veterans advantage discount. Also, remember the further out you book, the greater the discount from military advantage.

• 5% off all cruises booked less than 60 days prior to sailing
  • 10% off all cruises booked within 61 - 120 days prior to sailing.
  • 15% off all cruises booked more than 121 days prior to sailing.

Al

There are a few sailings where the discount is up to 30% -

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/429/161/Dec_UP_Format_Example.pdf

Archived