What has been your experience with getting the military discount?

flashdog_1

The military form on the NCL site instructs you fill out out the form and submit to NCL and bring proof to check in--it does not say anything about faxing the proof--my TA has confirmed this and I have booked cruises like this---where did you get the above direction??

Big Green

Big Green

Sorry to dissappoint you Big Green, but we have sailed on 4 different cruises with NCL ALL with the military discount, and have NEVER been asked for anything at check in. You are required to submit your proof of military service to your TA or to NCL within a time frame or else you will not get that discount. I know that also from experience. They never got my fax and my discount was removed. I called wondering why, they told me no DD214, no discount. I faxed it again, and as soon as it was received, my discount was reapplied. When you get to the port for check in, they counldn't care less what you paid for your cruise. Their only opjective is to get you on the ship. Why would they even bother asking for military proof, when you are already paid in full.

Does this mean that each time you book an NCL cruise getting the discount that you must resubmit the Military Appreciation form, or will it remain on record and you just tell your PCC that you want the mil. discount if it's available for that sailing? Thanks

Sorry to dissappoint you Big Green, but we have sailed on 4 different cruises with NCL ALL with the military discount, and have NEVER been asked for anything at check in. You are required to submit your proof of military service to your TA or to NCL within a time frame or else you will not get that discount. I know that also from experience. They never got my fax and my discount was removed. I called wondering why, they told me no DD214, no discount. I faxed it again, and as soon as it was received, my discount was reapplied. When you get to the port for check in, they counldn't care less what you paid for your cruise. Their only opjective is to get you on the ship. Why would they even bother asking for military proof, when you are already paid in full.

Have sailed twice and have two booked, and the only thing I have ever sent NCL was the Mil Appreciation form, no ID card or DD214. I have had my ID with me, as required by the instructions, but it has never been checked. I always follow up with NCL a week after sending the form, to insure my record is annotated "Form in house".

Al

MyHow to Qualify

Choose from the list of special sailings (PDF) or shop fleet-wide on our website to find your desired sailing.

Book your NCL Cruise using Program Code "PGMIL".

Fill out the Military Appreciation Program Form (PDF) with specific sailing information.

Fax the form to 305-436-4127 or email the form to militarydesk@ncl.com

Terms and Conditions

You must bring your Veterans Advantage or Military ID card to the port in order to receive these great rates.

so only one form to fax--bring proof to check in at crui TA verified what the NCL web site states as correct today--just like Bker Al said above.

Big Green

We always get it, now that we found it. No problems.

Do you only have to send the form in every time, or is it on record after your first submission, and you just tell them you want the fare again? Thanks

I booked a minisuite for my military Father in law yesterday. The military rate I was quoted was over $400 less than the non-military pricing. I just forwarded my FIL the military info from the the TA and NCL site, instructing him what to fill out and submit to show proof. I am assuming it will all work out fine.

You must bring your Veterans Advantage or Military ID card to the port in order to receive these great rates.

I never heard of such a thing.

Once the proof is e-mailed/scanned/mailed in, that is it.

Can you imagine if they were to check at the pier and say

oh no, you don't qualify, you have to pay much, much more $$$$

right here and right now?!:eek: Thats the job of the backoffice to ensure you deserve the discounted rate.

Agents at the dock are there to check you in and keep the line moving. You get the military rate when booking and thats the only time you need your proof.

Thinking about a cruise:

a) get quoted military price

b) fill out paperwork

c) send in paperwork/proof

d) quoted military price is applied:)

e) pay discounted rate

f) go on cruise and HAVE A WONDERFUL (LESS EXPENSIVE) TIME!!:D

I never heard of such a thing.

My view on this is that NCL is providing a reduced rate to those who have or are serving either the United States or the Canadian military, the spouses of active or retired (widowed), Veterans Advantage members, and no others.

The directions are:

How to Qualify

1. Choose from the list of special sailings (PDF) or shop fleet-wide on our website to find your desired sailing.
  2. Book your NCL Cruise using Program Code "PGMIL".
  3. Fill out the Military Appreciation Program Form (PDF) with specific sailing information.
  4. Fax the form to 305-436-4127 or email the form to militarydesk@ncl.com

Terms and Conditions

That is from the NCL web site. On the Military Appreciation Program Form (PDF) it clearly states, "Proper identification must be provided at the pier" I do not understand how any poster can say they never heard such a thing, if they followed NCL's Rules.

Do they check at the port? I posted we were not checked, but in hindsight, I use my Military ID as my picture ID, so I probably showed it. Should they check? I believe they should, and if someone hasn't followed NCL's rules, they should be charged the full fare or denied boarding. Folks who have served in the Military know how to follow directions, so this shouldn't be difficult.

Al

We are thinking about booking a cabin for our kids on our upcoming May 2010 cruise. Does anyone know if the Military discount will be credited for both rooms or does the military member have to be in the room that they book to get the discount? Thanks.

At the risk of receiving several lashes with a wet noodle for repeating myself....

at the bottom of the form it asks what type of i.d.

the choices are: white blue, tan, canada and other. What are they asking?

At the risk of receiving several lashes with a wet noodle for repeating myself....

at the bottom of the form it asks what type of i.d.

the choices are: white blue, tan, canada and other. What are they asking?

They are asking for the color of your military ID card. If you don't have one that is fine but you will need your DD-214. My husband is a Vet but not a retired or active so he does not have an ID card. All he has is his DD-214. I faxed it in and all is good.

My view on this is that NCL is providing a reduced rate to those who have or are serving either the United States or the Canadian military, the spouses of active or retired (widowed), Veterans Advantage members, and no others.

The directions are:

How to Qualify

1. Choose from the list of special sailings (PDF) or shop fleet-wide on our website to find your desired sailing.
  3. Fill out the Military Appreciation Program Form (PDF) with specific sailing information.

Terms and Conditions

Q. Why would they check at the port? The military discount is already applied when you showed proof & paid for cruise.

That is from the NCL web site. On the Military Appreciation Program Form (PDF) it clearly states, "Proper identification must be provided at the pier" I do not understand how any poster can say they never heard such a thing, if they followed NCL's Rules.

Do they check at the port? I posted we were not checked, but in hindsight, I use my Military ID as my picture ID, so I probably showed it.

We show passports.

Should they check? I believe they should, and if someone hasn't followed NCL's rules, they should be charged the full fare or denied boarding.

Q. Why do you feel they should check? NCL's backoffice already did this.

Port agents are just checking to make sure person boarding matches the name on the docs. Am I wrong?

Folks who have served in the Military know how to follow directions, so this shouldn't be difficult.

Q. Are you saying that civilians don't know how to follow directions?

Or just military wives?

Al

The directions are:

How to Qualify

Terms and Conditions

Q. Why would they check at the port? The military discount is already applied when you showed proof & paid for cruise.

A. I have always followed NCL's directions. Nowhere do they say to send proof. The form, is not proof, just a form saying I have proof.

Do they check at the port? I posted we were not checked, but in hindsight, I use my Military ID as my picture ID, so I probably showed it.

We show passports. But, according to the program rules, you are required to bring the proof to the port.

Should they check? I believe they should, and if someone hasn't followed NCL's rules, they should be charged the full fare or denied boarding.

Q. Why do you feel they should check? NCL's backoffice already did this.

Port agents are just checking to make sure person boarding matches the name on the docs. Am I wrong?

A. Yes, you are wrong. One again, if you follow their rules, you haven't sent proof, just a form that says you have proof.

Folks who have served in the Military know how to follow directions, so this shouldn't be difficult.

Q. Are you saying that civilians don't know how to follow directions?

Or just military wives?

A. We are talking about a Military Advantae program which deals with Military folks or their spouses.

Al

Mrs H. I am really not trying to be argumentative with you, but am trying to tell folks what the program rules are. I understand that some folks send in the proof, but it is not required. The requirement, is to have it at the pier, and I would hate for someone to get turned away, or charged more, because someone on CC says they don't have to follow the rules, based upon teir experience.

Al

They are asking for the color of your military ID card. If you don't have one that is fine but you will need your DD-214. My husband is a Vet but not a retired or active so he does not have an ID card. All he has is his DD-214. I faxed it in and all is good.

Thank you very much!!!!

Mrs H. I am really not trying to be argumentative with you, but am trying to tell folks what the program rules are. I understand that some folks send in the proof, but it is not required. The requirement, is to have it at the pier, and I would hate for someone to get turned away, or charged more, because someone on CC says they don't have to follow the rules, based upon teir experience.

Al

If you book a cruise thru NCL or thru any TA, they WILL tell you, no proof up front, NO MILITARY DISCOUNT. If you got one without showing proof, that's fine, but in my last 4 NCL cruises, they always MADE me fax or mail my military proof to get any sort of military discount.

And maybe that's why some people make the military their life long work, they just can't think for themselves, and always need some one else to tell them exactly what to do.

Al

If you book a cruise thru NCL or thru any TA, they WILL tell you, no proof up front, NO MILITARY DISCOUNT. If you got one without showing proof, that's fine, but in my last 4 NCL cruises, they always MADE me fax or mail my military proof to get any sort of military discount.

And maybe that's why some people make the military their life long work, they just can't think for themselves, and always need some one else to tell them exactly what to do.

lol you made my day! lol :)

I agree with you 100%, Giantfan13.

I have used military discount on other cruise lines and all I did was fill out the forms and send in the proof. DH does have his VFW card on him but NEVER has he had to show it to anyone, anywhere.

Funny thing was I couldn't find any copies of the DD214 form this past

Nov, but dh said for me to look in the JEEP folder since we used it to get a discount on a new SUV and lo and behold, there it was!! Ya just never know who's going to take care of the good guys/VETS.:D

Thank's for having my back.

Al

NOT MY TA--HAVE SAILED FIVE TIMES ON NCL--AND HAVE THREE BOOKED. NEVER HAD TO FAX PROOF ONLY STANDARD NCL FORM.

BIG GREEN

NOT MY TA--HAVE SAILED FIVE TIMES ON NCL--AND HAVE THREE BOOKED. NEVER HAD TO FAX PROOF ONLY STANDARD NCL FORM.

BIG GREEN

I find that very hard to believe. I've always shown proof at the beginning of booking. Could it be you use the same TA and the 1st cruise you booked through them you provided the paperwork to them and they just

produce it each time and send on to NCL?:confused:

Let me get this right, what your saying is you call TA, ask for military discount, show no proof but get military discount?? :rolleyes:

BIG GREEN

I find that very hard to believe. I've always shown proof at the beginning of booking. Could it be you use the same TA and the 1st cruise you booked through them you provided the paperwork to them and they just

produce it each time and send on to NCL?:confused:

Let me get this right, what your saying is you call TA, ask for military discount, show no proof but get military discount?? :rolleyes:

That is correct--she is one of NCLs private top producers--and has double checked wih them several times--bring proof to boarding just like the form states.

Big Green

That is correct--she is one of NCLs private top producers--and has double checked wih them several times--bring proof to boarding just like the form states.

Big Green

Different strokes.........

I just called NCL, (Steven), and he stressed that one MUST fill out NCL Military Appreciation Form and send in with Military DD214 within 7 days in order to get the military discount. He did say that we need to bring 'proof' / ID to pier also. (didn't bother to ask why)

I told him what was being said here and we had a nice chuckle.

(guess I have to see this form you say says we don't need to fill out

and send in DD214)

here is the form I use. It is on the NCL web site.

Big Green

PLEASE COMPLETE AND FAX TO BELOW NUMBER, OR IF E-MAIL, SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT TO BELOW ADDRESS. Please return completed form according to payment schedule.

TO: MILITARY DESK DATE:

FAX # 305.436.4127 OR e-mail to: militarydesk@ncl.com

Military Guest Name: Confirmation #:

Address: Ship:

City/State/Zip: Sail Date:

Telephone #: Cabin # (if applic):

MILITARY STATUS:

Active Veteran Spouse (of Active/traveling alone)

Retired Honorably Discharged Widow (of retired)

MILITARY AFFILIATION:

Department of the Army U.S. Coast Guard National Guard Bureau

Department of the Navy U.S. Marine Corps Reserves

Department of the Air Force Canadian DOD Civilian

TYPE OF ID:

Color of ID card: WHITE CANADA or DD 214

BLUE Discharge certificate

OTHER Please specify:

Proper identification must be provided at the pier.

By checking this box I have met all requirements for NCL's Military Program and I agree to the terms and conditions.

"NCL reserves the right to re-fare reservations found to be non compliant with the Military Program.

"

NCL USE ONLY

Validated and Approved By: Validated and Approved By Signature:

Date:

Please print name Please sign name

BIG GREEN

You didn't have to fax ANYTHING besides the NCL form????? Not your DD 214 or some sort of proof?

Archived