Excursion in Epheus

lenbro

I might be losing my mind but I thought that I had read on Regent's website that the excursion to Ephesus for an evening concert on the Oct.2 cruise from Istnbul was going to be complimentary to all passengers , a gift from Regent. I can no longer find that info and there now lists a $119 cost. Anyone else remember reading this?

I did not search the threads on the Seabourn boards regarding the Seabourn Experience at Ephesus, but my memory is that they have been uniformlyvery positive with many identifying it as a highlight of the cruise. My personal experience attending this evening concert was also quite special. I probably heard better musicians at Carnegie Hall but I have never enjoyed a concert in a more spectacular setting. I would attend again even if it weren't "free."

Seabourn stopped it's included shore excursions. I think if you post a question on the Seabourn board, you'll get an answer.

The reason this rings a bell is that we were in Ephesus four months ago. There was a Seabourn ship doing a similiar itinerary -- we heard some talk about it. I have seen nothing mentioned about this in Regent literature or on Regent boards.

lenbro,

The concert was listed as being free on the 2009 Grand Circumnavigation cruise. If you do a google search using the following terms Regent cruise Ephesus evening concert you will see that it continues to be listed as a free shore excursion that Regent is including on the 2009 cruises that include free shore excursions. I don't know what Regent will charge when the final documents/booking site lists costs, but you did not imagine reading the information. As well, I have spoken with people who went on Regent's evening at Ephesus included excursion (I believe it included because it was a president's cruise or longer voyage), and they thought it was fantastic. Hope this helps.

Lenbro, the October 2 cruise is not one of the 2009 cruises with free excursions.

Regent Crises with free excursions

The Navigator cruises to Kusadasi this summer all have the free excursions -- including the evening concert in Ephesus -- but that October 2 Voyager cruise does not. That's why the excursion shows the regular $119 price on the web site. Click over to any of the earlier Navigator cruises, and you'll see it's free on those trips. I don't think anyone can answer why Regent chose some cruises for free excursions and not others. (But you can cross your fingers and hope that if those fall cruises aren't selling well, Regent might add free excursions to additional cruises after the March 31 deadline on the current offer!)

-- Eric

Eric: first, thank you for that explanation. I am not aware of which Med. cruises have excursions included. According to information I have received, the included excursions in 2009 are to iron out all the "bugs" so that it will run smoothly in 2010 (when prices increase dramatically). Although I love Regent..... so far. they have not shown that they can embark on new programs without considerable problems. They have quite a history of passengers unhappy with their excursions. They are working hard to improve this image -- really hope they are successful!

I have recieved my documents for our Istanbul to Ft Lauderdale trip departing Istanbul on April 18th. The evening concert is listed as free, but all the others for our itinerary still carry charges. The 'all free excursions' are listed on their website for selected sailing dates (mostly peak summer).

So far there is NOBODY posting on our Roll Call, so it may just be a minivan taking my wife and I to the evening concert!

Their travel documents have changed a bit since our spring 2008 crossing; they don't tell you which nights will be formal, just how many during the 20 day crossing (3).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mariners,

I did google the tour and it does't apply to my cruise. Maybe they'll change their minds. Also next time I'll spell Ephesus right.

Not related to Regent but to Istanbul hotels. I indepently booked the Four Seasons for a pre cruise stay with hopes that at somepoint they might lower their rates and make it affordable. I even contacted them and asked if they might give a better rate than on their website. They declined and I now see that they have raised their rates. I guess they must feel that their clientelle are doing better then the rest of the world.

Well lenbro, I guess there's time, perhaps they will lower their rates yet, but who knows. Sure would be a nice place to stay!

I believe the Four Seasons is the only 5-star in the Sultanahment, but there are some nice hotels in the same area that will not be as luxurious but very pleasant I'm sure. I don't know the most highly-recommended ones right now, since we were there 4 years ago and things change. At that time Yesil Ev (Yellow House) was considered very nice, close to the Four Seasons, and the Mavi Ev (Blue House). We stayed at the Dersaadeet, which was pleasant and entirely adequately. Close to the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome and around the corner from the Arrasta Bazaar which is a nice smaller alternative to the Grand Bazaar. If you go for one of these smaller character hotels (Ottoman Inns), make sure they have an elevator. http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com can be helpful.

We visit Istanbul frequently and usually stay in the smaller boutique hotels within sight of the 4 Seasons for a LOT less. (did you know the 4 Seasons was converted from the prision where 'Midnight Express' was filmed? I hear it is quite nice, but you know the price!)

A nice clean and small hotel we use just a block away is the Hotel Uyan www.uyanhotel.com We are staying there the night before we depart on our Transatlantic this April, for 130 Euro, 155 if we want the airport transfer. This rate includes breakfast. If you have luggage you can drag on the street, you can take the street trolly to the port dock for about one euro per person (3 blocks walk to the tram station by the Hippodrome by the Cistern)

I just googled the Dersaadet, and their rates start at 115 euros for that timeframe. Just one caveat--be aware that there is a muezzin (tower with a pre-recorded call to prayer) just across the street, facing the Sea of Marmaris. It certainly help us get up in the morning! And they have an airport pickup that is included if you book directly through the hotel wesite.

We stayed at the Four Seasons a few years ago. I read that it was one of the world's great hotels, and it lives up to the reputation. Being the fact that it was a prison, traces of prisoner's carvings have been left on columns in the hotel. The food, service and location make for a memorable trip.

Istanbul is a favorite; it is full of mystery, intrigue and some of the kindest people in the world. Do not miss the Cisterns, Topkapi (harem rooms), and multiple mosques. The markets alone are worth the trip. Our day in Ephysis alone worth the trip. Do have a great trip.:)

An update on a free excursion in Ephesus for the Oct. 2 cruise from Istanbul to Athens. On 1/29/09, Regent's website listed a free excursion in Ephesus for an evening concert. Subsequently it then had it listed at a charge of $119. Now it longer has it listed as excursion at all. If your on this cruise you should contact your TA or Regent directly to get a responseas to what happen to this free excursion.

The evening concert is only offered on cruises that are there late enough in the evening to do it. What they had listed previously was a selection of examples of tours that had been previously offered there, but it said in the small print that this would be finalized 120 days prior to the cruise.

Is the ship in port in the evening?

According to the Regent web site, Voyager is docked in Kusadasi from 8 am until 10 pm. I was thinking that perhaps the evening concerts at Ephesus don't take place this late into the fall, but that's not it either: according to the Regent web site, this evening concert is not listed as an excursion for any of the cruises this summer. Maybe the concerts are not being offered this summer, or maybe Regent lost their local tour provider?

-- Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Archived