Royal Champions Vereses the rest of us

alexkrn46

I agree. Royal wants to build their brand. The Oasis was built with a certain demographic in mind. They need to fill the ship with this demographic in order for it to be a success. That is why they changed the marketing/commericals to appeal to their targeted demographic.

From what I have seen many of the RC are retired are you implying that is their new demographic?

I am not sure why there is such a feeling of alienation whenever a company does something for one group of its customers and not for another. The fact that we do not know or understand the criteria that they use to make their decisions doesn't mean that the criteria aren't valid. To the best of my knowledge, no one who has been named a Royal Champion knows why they were awarded that recognition. No one campaigned for it (we didn't know about it until we received our invitations and the term was introduced at the Liberty pre-inaugural), and wouldn't have known how to do so anyway.

If you carefully check out those who have been so recognized there don't appear to be any real common denominators, certainly not number of posts or number of past or future cruises with RCI, age, ethnicity or geographic distribution. Most seem to have a history of offering helpful information to fellow posters on the CC boards and most have not been behind the door in criticizing the cruiseline when they felt it was justified.

I can think of dozens of posters who I would nominate for "membership" and I might even quibble with some selections. However, no one asked me for my opinions and that is just fine with me. I was honored to be named to the group but I hope that I would not be angry or alienated if I had not been and I think most RCs feel the same way. :)

You are also honest sometimes instead of always being totally positive no matter what - how did you get in there? I work with data mining programs - I'll have to see if there was a glitch. :D :D

Just teasing - I know you usually take teasing well. :D

Hee heee he, you're just smug because you get to cruise in a few weeks!!:rolleyes:

OP - No one program is 'fair' to everybody. Including C&A. Is it honestly fair that people who live in FL can just jump on a 3-night cruise deal for $199 and get one cruise credit, when I have to buy plane tickets, hotel rooms, and port transfers PLUS cruisefare to get my 1 cruise credit? I go on about 2 cruises a year. I can assure you if I lived near a pier I could jump on many discounted cruises and be Diamond Plus by now. Someone like me spends more money earning one cruise credit than a Floridian spent on THREE weekend cruises earning THREE cruise credits! Fair, no. Can anything be done about it? No....so what's the use in discussing it.

I will probably not achieve D+ until I'm 90, because now my daughter needs braces and I'm going to need to sell my soul for the price of them. :p There was no set rhyme or reason to the choosing of the RC's. Some I personally feel TOTALLY deserve it didn't even get it. Unfortunately there is no 100% 'fair' program out there. Just remember that the RC program isn't about dollars spent....it's a marketing program.

I am not sure why there is such a feeling of alienation whenever a company does something for one group of its customers and not for another. The fact that we do not know or understand the criteria that they use to make their decisions doesn't mean that the criteria aren't valid. To the best of my knowledge, no one who has been named a Royal Champion knows why they were awarded that recognition. No one campaigned for it (we didn't know about it until we received our invitations and the term was introduced at the Liberty pre-inaugural), and wouldn't have known how to do so anyway.

If you carefully check out those who have been so recognized there don't appear to be any real common denominators, certainly not number of posts or number of past or future cruises with RCI, age, ethnicity or geographic distribution. Most seem to have a history of offering helpful information to fellow posters on the CC boards and most have not been behind the door in criticizing the cruiseline when they felt it was justified.

I can think of dozens of posters who I would nominate for "membership" and I might even quibble with some selections. However, no one asked me for my opinions and that is just fine with me. I was honored to be named to the group but I hope that I would not be angry or alienated if I had not been and I think most RCs feel the same way. :)

I agree with everything you said Bill.

Let´s face it and get real for those that are so pi$$ed off because of this. What are you missing. Since I got the invitation as was asked if I would like to share my contact information I heard nothing from them for month, until last night when I got an e that asmed me to update my contact information for their database. Well yeah you missed out a whole lot:rolleyes:

• Administrators

I quoted Bill because I couldn't agree more with the above statement. I'm glad this discussion has come up again along with the link to the marketing blog where they state:

"Royal Caribbean worked with Nielsen Buzz Metrics to identify enthusiastic online supporters of Royal Caribbean. Using a combination of automated and manual techniques, they identified online communities that discuss Royal Caribbean Cruises. Relying on data mining software and human expertise in word-of-mouth analysis, they measured awareness, identifying emergent qualitative themes of discussion on blogs, travel forums, usernets to gain a better understanding of how consumers discuss Royal Caribbean cruises. Fifty Royal Caribbean Champions were chosen for both quality and quantity of posts with many having over 10,000 message board posts on various Royal Caribbean topics. While Champions were primarily found on Cruise Critic, they also posted on travel communities, usenet groups, travel blogs and personal journals."

I almost could have written the above myself. That is EXACTLY the way the program was introduced to me by RCCL.

For those of you throwing around my name, Cruise Critic had absolutely nothing to do with the list of names created. Yes, the majority of RC's *are* Cruise Critic members but that is to be expected due to our popularity and size of the community. As Bill said, should RCCL ask me there are numerous names I'd add to the list; but they haven't asked my opinion. I also raise a few eyebrows as well; it is to be expected because I'm always watching all of you like a hawk . The decision to include is totally RCCL's based on the information they receive from Neilsen Buzz Metrics.

I also don't see how the above information differs that much from what they C&A Loyalty person stated to the OP. Being asked to be a RC is not a loyalty program at all. They specifically looked for those who are INFLUENCING OTHERS WHO ARE NOT CUSTOMERS TO SAIL ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. They'll invite the RC's to events and pre-inaugurals to experience the new product in the hopes that they will return and share the experience almost until the point of exhaustion.

Read more about the rising power of "Brand Influencers". More and more cruise lines -- and other companies as well -- are recognizing how important this marketing tool is to them, especially during this recession.

As a matter of fact, Cruise Critic will be 'speaking' at the EyeforTravel Social Media conference next month. Topic of our discussion? Does Cruise Chatter Matter? As you can see from the creation of the RC's, and a similar program we helped work on w/ Celebrity, your voice is powerful and they recognize it.

If you think about it, they are "influencing the brand influencers" with marketing programs such as these.

It's the new trend on the web, and it will be here to stay. It's the reason our site is so popular, why TripAdvisor is so huge -- the consumer voice sells product. Period.

Laura

Really well said, Laura. I know there are other Champions out there. We met some at the Oasis reveal from new chat groups and from Tripadvisor.

p.s. I also like your Eleanor Roosevelt quote. I have a great poster with that on it that I bought at the FDR Memorial in DC.

The Royal Champion program has influenced me, it has made me start to look at other cruise lines.

According to the link they have not been able to measure the success of the program, from what I have read here on Cruise Critic this program alienates loyal cruisers. I can speak for my family for my family it has a sour taste in my mouth for RCCL.

The majority of the favorable comments are from the Royal Champions.

I will continue to cruise but now the Royal Champion Program and the way Royal Caribbean Corporate has handle this program I view RCCL in a new light. And considering their stock is down and bookings are down, most business professionals would not say this is a success.

The majority of the favorable comments are from the Royal Champions.

And considering their stock is down and bookings are down, most business professionals would not say this is a success.

Yes, but the most persistent criticisms have been from you, as practically every time the program comes up, you are the one to bring it up and complain about not being included, it seems. A quick glance at your recent posts is all that's needed to see that you've complained about not being upgraded, complained about the gifts you're given as a returning guest and complained about customer service. Now, you're complaining that RCL won't recognise you as one of the customers who represents its brand well online.

RCL stock sells within the open market and all of the cruise stocks (and other hospitality sectors) are down. The recent drop is likely not related to you and your hurt feelings.

The RC program has diluted the D+ program by giving them invites that D+ does not get. Who needs to be loyal when upgrades are random, invites are to RC members. RCL needs to know how I feel to keep their old customer base while building a new one and take everything into consideration. They monitor these boards to get information they couldn't get else where. If RCL wants me to cheer lead then PAY ME! Last year I brought two new cruisers with me on Princess and they gave me $25 for each new customer, that's loyalty to me while receiving a new customer. It's a feeling I have, you can't argue it away. If you read my thread go to post #132

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=927010

we are diamond and feel like we are treated very well by royal caribbean thru the c and a program and onboard perks- personally i would rather be diamond than to be called an r.c. but thats just me-

since many r.c.'s are reading this thread- congrats to you guys! that is so cool! thanks for all the yrs of advice !!! :)

Since some posters have expressed their dismay at the way RCI (not RCL or RCCL) has treated them because of not inviting them to be a Royal Champion, I'm curious why they are still posting here.

If you're going to cruise other lines, that's fine. Do so and post there.

Everyone is well aware of your feelings and have no problem with them.

It's getting to the point of beating a dead horse. The complaint is with RCI, not the Royal Champions or anyone else on this board.

It seems it would be better to take it up directly with them and then move on.

If anyone considers this a personal attack, so be it. It's not meant to be, just an observation that it's time to drop the subject.

Since some posters have expressed their dismay at the way RCI (not RCL or RCCL) has treated them because of not inviting them to be a Royal Champion, I'm curious why they are still posting here.

If you're going to cruise other lines, that's fine. Do so and post there.

Everyone is well aware of your feelings and have no problem with them.

It's getting to the point of beating a dead horse. The complaint is with RCI, not the Royal Champions or anyone else on this board.

It seems it would be better to take it up directly with them and then move on.

If anyone considers this a personal attack, so be it. It's not meant to be, just an observation that it's time to drop the subject.

Paul...........very well said!! Personally I don't see what the C&A program has to do with the Royal Champion program.

As Gunnar mentioned..........the extent of participation so far.....I have been invited to join.........I accepted..........and then for several months have heard nothing from Royal Caribbean about this program.........then last night I was sent an email to verify if I wanted to continue.

So..........what is anyone missing that has not been invited?? And, yes, I understand that the charter members were invited to a pre inaugural. We have been invited to nothing.........have been asked to do nothing, except to verify our identity.

As Laura has mentioned, it's not just Cruise Critic members that have been asked to join the Royal Champions. But most of the members are CC members...........as CC is the largest organization that is here for the sole purpose of talking about cruising.

So..........I don't get why anyone would want to change lines because they are being left out. Left out of what????

Rick

OMG!!! I can't believe these threads about being a Royal Champion. Why are we such cry babies? Thread after thread of crying about C & A perks being taken away or downgraded. About not being an RC. About being D/D+ and not being treated special. When I took my first cruise there were no loyalty programs and I loved cruising anyway.

I cruise 99% on Royal, but if they gave me nothing and never recognized anything I would still cruise with them. I don't know about you all but I cruise because I enjoy it. I cruise Royal because in my mind they have the best ships and crew in the water. I have talked several of my co working anti cruisers and friends into taking cruises because I want them to love it too. People think I'm a travel agent...I don't post that here I don't talk about it here...I do it because I like Royal. If they have ticked you off because you weren't selected then take your business elsewhere, spend your money where you feel appreciated, but stop complaining...

Throw darts, flames whatever...I really don't care...

Now I'm stepping down of my soapbox...

You're complaining about other posters, kinda like the fry pan calling the kettle black....:eek:grown ups get to discuss topics that you might not like so don't post, it's simple. Others like to share their views and experiences some good, some bad but it's called OPINION with no right or wrong.

OMG!!! I can't believe these threads about being a Royal Champion. Why are we such cry babies? Thread after thread of crying about C & A perks being taken away or downgraded. About not being an RC. About being D/D+ and not being treated special. When I took my first cruise there were no loyalty programs and I loved cruising anyway.

I cruise 99% on Royal, but if they gave me nothing and never recognized anything I would still cruise with them. I don't know about you all but I cruise because I enjoy it. I cruise Royal because in my mind they have the best ships and crew in the water. I have talked several of my co working anti cruisers and friends into taking cruises because I want them to love it too. People think I'm a travel agent...I don't post that here I don't talk about it here...I do it because I like Royal. If they have ticked you off because you weren't selected then take your business elsewhere, spend your money where you feel appreciated, but stop complaining...

I like your style. If we're ever on the same sailing, I'll buy you a drink (and others will complain that THEY didn't get the complimentary non-whiner cocktail!!!)

You're complaining about other posters, kinda like the fry pan calling the kettle black....:eek:grown ups get to discuss topics that you might not like so don't post, it's simple. Others like to share their views and experiences some good, some bad but it's called OPINION with no right or wrong.

In one breath, you say that it's opinion and so there is no right or wrong but in the other, you say she shouldn't post if she doesn't like the topic. interesting leap.

I totally agree. Too many whiners. I don't understand how something as wonder as cruising can inspire so much negativity on here. As my grandmother said, "Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope."

I wasn't even going to post on here but I saw my friend Monica posting...hey sis I owe ya one or 2 drinks when we sail on the Oasis for that post. Anyway, yes I was invited to be a RC a few months ago. Yes, I do feel honored that I was selected. To be honest I don't even feel I deserve it in any way I know others are much more deserving for this honor. I did not do anything to solicit this invitation, And as others have said all that we have been 'rewarded' with at this time is an email to verify our email and address. If that is all that ever happens that is just fine with me. I will continue to sail RCCL not because of perks or prizes or upgrades but because I think RCCL is the best fit for me and my tastes in cruising and the service they provide to me. I have sailed Disney, Princess, as well as a couple others that are no longer in business and for me this is the best value for my dollar.

If I ever get to sail with the OP I would gladly get you a drink of your choice for your loyalty to RCCL. I am sorry you feel so unappreciated by Royal Caribbean. It makes me sad that something like this can be so upsetting to you.

Archived