Poll : Med Cruise – Celebrity, Summit Ship

jeska00

I’m getting married August 2009 and we’re going on a Mediterranean Cruise May 2010 for our honeymoon! It will be my first cruise vacation and my first time out of the country. The cruise I've been thinking about booking is the 12 day beginning in Venice and ending in Barcelona. The ship I would be on is the Summit. I would love some information about this cruise & ship – and what better way to get info than to run a survey / poll :D

Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

1. What time of year did you take your cruise?

2. How was the weather?

3. Where did you cruise to? What were your favorite cities & sites?

4.What kind of room did you get? (Interior, Oceanview, Balcony, Suite)

5. Would you recommend this room to me?

6. What did you like about the room?

7. What did you dislike?

8. What activities did you partake in on the ship? Which would you recommend?

9. How is the spa?

10. If you were to give me advice on an item that you either a) found extremely useful or b) wished you would have packed, what would it be?

11. Anything else that you wish to inform me of about your experiences can go here :)

Thanks! - Jessica

Hi-what a lovely honeymoon you will have!

1-We took this cruise in mid May. The weather couldn´t have been better. It was beautiful every single day and not too hot . People say Greece and Italy can be unbearable in the summer and we just had weather in the high 70s and the 80s.

2-Our itinerary was -Barcelona , Villefranche , Livorno ,Cittevechia , Naples , Athens ,Santorini , Dubrovnik and Venice.

When in Villefranche we visited Monaco. In Livorno , we visited Lerici ,Lucca and Pisa.In Naples , we did the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. All Italian cities were done with private tours(really worth it!)

Favorites: Our Livorno day , Santorini ,Dubrovnik and Venice.

We had an inside room , which was fine. However , I am looking forward to my FV aft stateroom on our next cruise.

I didn´t really like or dislike the room.The bed was very comfortable , the shower good.But it was small.

We went to most of the shows , which we enjoyed.We really liked the group in the Cova Cafe .We would have a yummy coffee after dinner and listen to the great music.

Didn´t use the spa , sadly enough!

I think I packed well .I wore my ballet flats constantly , as they are comfortable and attractive. Think layers.

I would strongly recommend the speciality restaurant (The Normandie) , which was amazing(we had dinner there twice).

I also loved the waffles (as do many on these boards!).

Most of all , I´d recommend going a few days early to enjoy Barcelona and stay and extra day in Venice (my only regrets).I´d also realllllyyyyyy recommend going on private tours.

Have fun.

Kim

I am also waiting to book this cruise for May/June 2010. Unfortunately, the Summit will not be in Europe doing the 12-night cruises in 2010, she is being moved to do 7-night Bermuda cruises.

The 2010 schedules will be released around March 10th.

I’m getting married August 2009 and we’re going on a Mediterranean Cruise May 2010 for our honeymoon! It will be my first cruise vacation and my first time out of the country. The cruise I've been thinking about booking is the 12 day beginning in Venice and ending in Barcelona. The ship I would be on is the Summit. I would love some information about this cruise & ship – and what better way to get info than to run a survey / poll :D

2. How was the weather?

7. What did you dislike?

9. How is the spa?

10. If you were to give me advice on an item that you either a) found extremely useful or b) wished you would have packed, what would it be?

11. Anything else that you wish to inform me of about your experiences can go here :)

Thanks! - Jessica

What a wonderful honeymoon... you will have a great time.

We were on the Millennium Med Cruise in September of 2007. It is the same class of ship as the Summit. We had an aft cabin, and loved it...this is our favorite kind of room and it was great to enjoy during the sailaways from the ports. I would recommend this room to anyone, but if you have any motion sensitivity, I would recommend a room midship on a lower floor. This was my first trip to Europe, and we sailed from Barcelona to Venice. Port stops besides Barcelona and Venice included Villefranche, Florence, Rome, Naples, Athens, Santorini, Corfu and Dubrovnik. It was a very port intensive cruise... long days at some of the ports, but the cities were wonderful...

Our weather was just perfect... warm, in the 70s most of the time, and sunny. I couldn't pick out a favorite port, because I truly enjoyed each one. We did ships' tours in some cities, and were on our own in others. We did a drive down the Amalfi coast in Naples that was outstanding, and had a private driver in Athens who did a wonderful job. I loved touring on our own in Villefranche; if you go there, be sure to go to Eze, a 9th century medieval walled city that is now a delightful place to stroll through, shop and have a ($$$) drink at the Chateau Eze. Santorini was just amazing; we took a cab ride over to Oia... had lunch there; we picked a restaurant that had the view out the back terrace that was pictured on my Greek language and phrases book! In Corfu and Dubrovnik, we also hired cab drivers to take us around; they did a wonderful job of showing us the sites. I would do this exact itinerary again in a heartbeat.

We have sailed on Celebrity more than a few times, and therefore did not go to see the shows. I also did not use the spa on this trip; but it can be a wonderful place to get a relaxing massage as I have done so on other trips.

You should be sure to go to the specialty restaurant at least once; it is a very romantic, special occasion, dress up kind of place, and the food and service are wonderful.

One thing I would have liked is another sea day during the trip... to rest up! Be sure to bring VERY comfortable shoes for walking and touring... and you may need a wrap to wear over sleeveless shirts if you visit cathedrals... and I would wear capris to keep knees covered, too, for those visits.

Have a wonderful time!

I am also waiting to book this cruise for May/June 2010. Unfortunately, the Summit will not be in Europe doing the 12-night cruises in 2010, she is being moved to do 7-night Bermuda cruises.

Hi,:) I hope the Original Poster sees your reply.:eek:

I don't think she knows Summit will not be doing the itinerary

she wants.

I am so sad to hear that we were looking for a cruise on the Summit for October 2010. Do you know which ship will replace her?

I've done this cruise in September and it was really nice weather and not too hot. The ports are great on this trip. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Dubrovnik is a great city and a walk around the walls is very pleasant if you are fit. Go and marvel at how they have got the buildings back to what they were after so much damage in the war back in the early 90s. There are some really nice looking eateries just off ther main street in the old town.

I'm guessing that if Summit is doing the Bermuda run then another of the same class of ship will take its place. We were on Millennium for this trip in 2006.

As for a honeymoon and your first time out of the country, you are going to love the sailaway from Venice. It's special:cool:

Phil

I'm guessing that if Summit is doing the Bermuda run then another of the same class of ship will take its place. We were on Millennium for this trip in 2006.

Phil

I am hoping so! The Eclipse europe schedule should be available this week as it opens for CC members March 3rd. I am wishing for an M class ship though to replace Summit.

2. How was the weather?

7. What did you dislike?

9. How is the spa?

Thanks! - Jessica

Congratulations!

I won't/can't cover all your inquiry but...

I would urge you to arrange extra days ashore on each end of the cruise. Venice is a magical city (extraordinarily romantic) and there are many very nice fairly reasonable$$ small hotels there. Remember: Venice is wholly pedestrian and boat transport so TRY to pack light. Barcelona is extremely impressive too in a different way and I'd recommend that you find a hotel near Las Ramblas/Bari Gothi (Gothic Quarter and adjacent colorful avenue that runs through the city).

Since you haven't travelled a lot before, I'll surmise that you may not be travelling a whole lot in the immediate future of your early marriage. So - while it may not be a 'once in a lifetime' travel opportunity, it may be once in a long time. Hence the foregoing recommendation, and the following. Italy generally - Rome and Florence in particular merit more time than you can give them - so use what you've got. The line may offer an overnight excursion ashore to maximize the opportunity to see these places (a tour bus in between) during Livorno/Cevitavecchia. Consider it. I haven't done it, but it has its merits. These are often offered when ships go from Livorno to Naples with a sea day between; in this instance, you're not doing that but... professional excursions are absolutely necessary to maximize your touristic experience in these ports (they're not cheap though).

Naples is a place that offers more than one can do in a day too (between Capri, Sorrento, the Amalphi Coast, etc.); you'll have to armchair travel and decide what you want to see. Although less exhaustive than hitting either Capri or Sorrento, many cruise lines offer an excursion that involves hiking to the summit of Mt. Vesuveus then visiting Pompei. A bus gets you about 2/3 of the way up the mountain then you hike a volcanic gravel path to the summit caldera. You only need to be resonably active to handle the hike. I can endorse this as an easy going but very insightful way to see Naples Bay as well as the ruins of Pompei. BTW - Vesuveus is coming due to pop its top again (the last time being in 1947). Suggestion - after Santorini - locate a ship bridge officer and inquire when you'll be passing the active island volvano Stromboli and at what distance. It is the world's longest continually active volcano (1,000 years) pulsing magna down its slopes which is visible at night. It's worth getting up to see - esp. if you are visiting Pompei the next day. The Straights of Messina are worth a late night look too. Athens for a first timer involves the obligatory trek to the Acropolis-Parthenon and some time in the plaika.

As a first cruise, this is a wonderful - but port intense - cruise. You won't have a lot of time on ship (3 sea days), barely enough to rest up for more port excursions. If I were to do any 'beach' day ashore, I'd probably plan that for the Nice area. Summit is a fine ship. If your budget allows for a veranda, by all means (otherwise, its still a great trip; shore excursioning Europe is expensive though so study THAT part of the budget before committing). But having to only step out of ones' cabin door onto a balcony to enjoy port arrival and sail away can be nice when you return tired from a day ashore hoofing it.

Have a great trip and a fine marriage! :)

Thanks for all of your input and congrats :) it's greatly appreciated.

hmm...I am disappointed to hear that Summit won't be in the 2010 itinerary. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what ship will take her place! They wouldn't cancel this itinerary would they? That would be a heartbreak.

Archived