Costa Maya...

1stCruiser2008

Not much said about this port. Can anyone shed any light on it, what is best to do there. Thanks.

Donna

Good Morning Donna.... can't help "a lot"... but were there the end of last year.... we did not want to do any "ruins"... so just stayed at the port. They have a very long dock... but provided a tram from the ship to the dock. A wonderful, beautiful, huge pool, area... if you like to swim, do recommend.... and shopping and some eating/drinking places. We had a great time in that area.... and water is beautiful. Maybe some other posters will have information on some tours....

Looks for Crusinmama's recent review of her 6 day Independence cruise. I read that one because my next cruise goes to Belize, and learned a little bit about Costa Maya, another port I haven't been to.

When there a few years back, we took the Mayan ruins tour with Ivan, a local (who grew up in that area). Ended up with about 6 of us, signed up independently. Found it fascinating and well worthwhile.

The port area itself is nothing more than the usual jewelry, rug, local souvenir shops. Plus a place to buy beer. It was wiped out in the storm a couple of years back--presume it has been rebuilt.

Good Morning Donna.... can't help "a lot"... but were there the end of last year.... we did not want to do any "ruins"... so just stayed at the port. They have a very long dock... but provided a tram from the ship to the dock. A wonderful, beautiful, huge pool, area... if you like to swim, do recommend.... and shopping and some eating/drinking places. We had a great time in that area.... and water is beautiful. Maybe some other posters will have information on some tours....

Yes, I agree with this post. I just came back from the Indy Western and we went to Costa Maya. Originally, we had planned to go downtown well, its called Majuhal (sp) and its about a 10 minute cab ride, but we decided to stay in the port area. From the dock, they have a little tram to the dock area/shopping, etc. There was shopping, diamonds international, little local artistans. They had 2 pools, and a restaurant or two, idk. Then they had many many lounge chairs facing the ships, pool, or beach. But the beach was bad because nobody could use it. There were huge rock formations. I did not see one person go in the water, but some ppl did climb on the rocks.

As for other things to do, they have some tours through the ship for a local tour or beach tour, then some ruin tours etc. Not much here, as the CD puts it on the Indy. (he didnt profess his love for it)

Looks for Crusinmama's recent review of her 6 day Independence cruise. I read that one because my next cruise goes to Belize, and learned a little bit about Costa Maya, another port I haven't been to.

Thanks Bill! I'll just repost the info here.

Costa Maya for us was just a day spent at the port. There is shopping there, a restaurant, a few bars and a pool for cruise ship guests. While we were in port (Independence), Carnival Miracle was also in port.

The "beach" at the port is too rocky. So if you wanted to go to a beach, hop in a taxi and go to Mahahual. You can also get inexpensive massages at that beach (we didn't but some from our CC roll call did go there).

My TA took a group to the ruins and then to a village to have a "real Mayan meal". She raved about it.

Here are my pictures from the port....

208.jpg

216.jpg

223.jpg

224.jpg

231.jpg

233.jpg

Check out the Mayan ruins. Outside of that walk from jeweler to jeweler. Don't buy jewelry but sample the free shots of tequila or rum. You can get loaded for free.

The merchants try very hard to get the husbands and boyfreinds drunk so you buy their goods.

When I go to Costa maya, I go to Majaual. $3 van ride. The town is rebuilding after taking a direct hit from a hurricane. The beach strip now has a boardwalk and it's all lined with bars. If you go to grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com they have a link to excursions they offer at Costa Maya. We paid $35 for an all inclusive day at Pez Quatro. They gave us beach loungers, whatever we wanted to drink, we bought lunch through them, $10 for a shrimp platter and I was stuffed! We also bought a snorkeling trip through them (wasn't too good at this port, Belize and St Kitts are better) and we paid $20 each for an hour long massage on the beach. It was lovely hearing the beach music from all the bars wafting over the water, and hearing people having fun. The port is owned by the cruiselines so I spend my money in Majahual, where the people need it the most. And, the vendors there are pushy or aggressive like they are in the port confines. David and Ivan's tour to the ruin was more than just a look around ancient ruins. David plucked leaves and let us smell or taste them while he told us what they were used for. Ivan's family actually owned the land before the government took it over when the ruins were discovered. And there are mounds that haven't been excavated yet! So if you want to sample true Mexico, go to Majahual and walk down the street

We were in Costa Maya in 2006, Majhual, was not much of a town, we booked a scuba excursion and if you dive I highly recommend diving here, gorgeous water, coral and fish life. Other than the excursions from the ship, I don't think there is much to do, the area is still fairly unbuilt, no sewer system (septic tanks) no street lights, businesses each have generators to run everything. It is relaxing, there are beaches and you can find a bar, the road once you get away from the dock is dirt and do not be surprised to see a truck load of soliers with M16s. (it is safe, we walked around with all of our scuba gear all the way from "town" to the ship)

We were in Costa Maya two years ago and did the Chacchoben ruins tour with David and Ivan from Native Choice. Davis was our guide and it was the best shore excursion we have ever been on. I HIGHLY recommend taking this tour while in Costa Maya.

This was one of our most memorable excursions! The port otherwise seemed artificial to me.

We were in Costa Maya two years ago and did the Chacchoben ruins tour with David and Ivan from Native Choice. Davis was our guide and it was the best shore excursion we have ever been on. I HIGHLY recommend taking this tour while in Costa Maya.

Another vote for these guys. The tour was wonderful. They even kept my kids interested.

We had plenty of time afterwards to wander around town and get lunch (in Majahual). IMO, the port area isn't worth a lot of your time, it is a man made tourist trap.

We like to get off the ship and catch a cab to Mahahual - $3pp to town and $2pp to return to the port - as of Jan 2009. In town, just walk from one end to the other and stop wherever interests you. Restaurants, bars, shopping, massages are your options. Beach is better than the iron shore at the port. Also, prices for food, drinks and souvenirs are cheaper than at the port.

Back at the port, look around before you return to the ship. Drinks are cheaper at the port than on the ship. Always something crazy going on at the 'swim up bar.'

We were there last week.. we had booked a waverunner tour and then a beach break with CostaMayaExcursions... we had a really great time.. only 4 in the wave runner tour allowed and there were 4 of us, so it was perfect.. went quite a ways out into the waters... then all the drinks you could drink back at the bar, with waiter service in the beach area... couldn't have asked for a better day.. !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Another vote for these guys. The tour was wonderful. They even kept my kids interested.

We had plenty of time afterwards to wander around town and get lunch (in Majahual). IMO, the port area isn't worth a lot of your time, it is a man made tourist trap.

Just booked this tour last night for our April cruise, soooo excited about this tour can hardly wait. The literature on their website mentions that they make a stop in the village, thinking of taking some school supplies to give to the local children, has anyone else ever did this.

Just booked this tour last night for our April cruise, soooo excited about this tour can hardly wait. The literature on their website mentions that they make a stop in the village, thinking of taking some school supplies to give to the local children, has anyone else ever did this.

We did in Guatemala. The children were very appreciative.

Archived