What's the best way to prevent sea sickness?

vintagebabe

My husband is very prone to motion sickness, and will refuse to get on the tenders boats if he starts to feel it come on. Anybody have any great remedies for sea sickness? Dramamine didn't do the trick. We plan on taking the Quest in October for Sorrento Stopover, and I don't want to have to cancel. Please help!!

Terri

I use the patches, they are only available by prescripton. You have to wash your hands after applying them. You don't want to get the medication in your eye, it will distort your vision. Although each patch is intended to last three days, I found that swimming and showering made them fall off more frequently. Last time I asked for two boxes (4-each) so that I could put on a new one each day if I had too.

Others use Bonine (Meclizine Hydrochloride), similar to Dramamine but without as much sleepiness. I have also used the acupressurebands.

I use Tylenol for Sinus when I feel I might be getting seasick. It was recommended by a doctor (passenger) when I was seasick on an Orient Lines Scanandinavian cruise. Have used it ever since (6 cruises) and it has worked for me!

Hi Everyone !

Some other Over the counter items our family uses is Sea-Bands, and Bonine. I use Sea-Bands, and I've never gotten seasick while wearing them.

However, I urge you to speak with your Doctor before using any seasickness suggestions posted here. Enjoy your Cruise !

Terri

I have not tried it personally but have read on these boards that grated root ginger really works - and has the advantage that you can request it from the ship's kitchen if you are caught out with nothing else.

Sue

Not only ginger root but ginger pills (available in the health stores) or fresh ginger (used with sushi) Most ships have the latter..

Jancruz

My husband is very prone to motion sickness, and will refuse to get on the tenders boats if he starts to feel it come on. Anybody have any great remedies for sea sickness? Dramamine didn't do the trick. We plan on taking the Quest in October for Sorrento Stopover, and I don't want to have to cancel. Please help!!

Terri

Many people on our Antarctic cruise (including some expedition staff) wore patches that were by prescription. We didn't take anything and never got seasick.

Not only ginger root but ginger pills (available in the health stores) or fresh ginger (used with sushi) Most ships have the latter..

Jancruz

Actually, the ginger slices served with sushi, called gari in Japanese, are pickled, not fresh. But if it works for you, AZ puts puts out a big bowl of it every night to go with the sushi served at the buffet for dinner.

One more vote for ginger here safe and natural and it really works. I am very prone to motion sickness but since taking ginger for the last 10 years have not gotten sick on a cruise and we have had some rough days. I take one in the morning and one at night throughout the cruise. We just got off HAL last week had one rough day at sea one of our friends traveling with us was so sea sick I gave her a ginger pill and she was feeling better within 30 minutes.

You can get a bottle for $10

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=41333&catid=9802

Best of luck

• 1 month later...

If he's OK on the ship and you are only worried about a rough tender trip, you might try an old Navy trick. Keep a box of salted soda crackers handy and as long as he is munching he'll be OK. It worked great for a shipmate of mine.

the tender experience is my biggest fear. I am fine no matter what. But we were on our first and only cruise experience in October. Once he got on that tender boat-all bets were off! Needless to say, I spend the day by myself in port that day. This fall, we are only doing one tender port, and that is Sorrento. I don't want to spend the day at Pompei by myself.

So hoping everyone's great suggestions are enough to give him the go ahead!!

As someone who gets carsick if I read billboards while in the car, I highly recommend the patch! We've been cruising for 20 years and I have never had the slightest bit of discomfort even during very rocky tender trips and rough sea days. I also have not experienced any problems with side effects or having the patch come off before the 3rd day. Good luck!

My easy rule is dont over indulge on drinks.

I have lucked out...I have heard people say don't over indulge on food (good luck it is a cruise) and I have had my 3 breakfasts, mid morning snack, three lunches, mid afternoon snack, afternoon tea, dinner, and midnight buffet (when they used to have them) and never got sick.

I have heard the bigger the ship the less the chance but I think that is an old wise tail. It all depends on the person.

I found a suggestion on another thread for Scopace. It is the ingredient in the patch, but is in pill form. The advantage is that you only need to take one when you need it, and it starts working faster than the patch. Apparently, it is good for about 8 hours. I intend to talk to my doctor about it before our next trip. (It is also by prescription only.)

(Another Terri):D

My husband is also very prone to sea-sickness and motion sickness in general. Dramamine and "the patch" did nothing for him. He has found that wearing "sea-bands" (available in Wal-Mart and on the ship) works for him. He puts them on before we board the ship and doesn't take them off until we get home. Just did a 17 day trans-atlantic with some rough seas and he had no trouble at all. There are no side affects with these either. And since he is on a lot of blood pressure meds, we didn't have to worry about any drug interaction. Sea-Bands was the Consumer Reports number 1 pick for relief of motion sickness! Good Luck!

I'd also suggest looking at the particular tender you're boarding. The same ship may employ both large and small ones, and the larger ones should have less motion. And look at the hull shapes when you're walking around the promenade deck or wherever you can see them from the bottom; a boat with a flat bottom will have a lot less rocking than a boat with a "V" shape when it is floating around loading people.

Also, get on late so you're not rocking while others are loading, and keep to the middle of the tender to reduce the amount of motion. However, make sure that you pick a seat in which you are still able to see the horizon; in my experience in many years of boating, people get seasick much more easily when they go below where they don't have reference, rather than staying on top and looking out towards the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived