Tipping on NCL

dmack110

On my recent 4 day cruise on the SKY...I tipped the following amounts

35.00 to my room steward. She was very good and always kept us with fresh ice and lovely towel animals on 2 nights. Always pleasant, except for the first day (which can be understood considering the amount of work she had already done before we made it to our cabin)...Remembered our names and brought us extra pillows and an extra blanket for my 16 year old cousin who ended up on the pullout sofa bed. To some that may sound a little high. But I thought she was excellent.

25.00 to Cagneys- The waiter was delightful. I can't remember his name but he was on top of our needs the entire time we were there. We weren't rushed and he made us feel like we were the only people in the entire place. Very well deserved.

Room Service- 2.00 for each time ordered. Adding up to 8.00. Not much but you could tell it was very much appreciated by the smile and thank you I received...

Bar Staff/Waiters- I think I tipped no more than 20.00 total. Just because we never stayed in the same area much and experienced different servers throughout the day. But the ones that were good..I mean getting our drinks to us in a resonable amount of time..We tipped them extra..

So in all..on top of the DSC, I spent around an addtional 80.00 on this cruise for tips above and beyond. To some that may sound cheap and to others it may sound like too much.

It is entirely up to you how much you want to tip above and beyond the DSC. I would suggest if someone gives you the type of service that you feel is worthy of an extra tip..then give an extra tip. And as others have mentioned remember those who may not be in the tip pool..especially if you use their services. Whatever you can give will be very much appreciated...

:)

You can adjust the tips up.

According to a crew member who posts here you really are not accomplishing much if you adjust the DSC up as for each dollar you bump it up, the crew members will only get a few cents each. He recommends if you wish to give more to just hand out to those that provided you the great service. Bumping it up is a nice idea though.

You can adjust the tips up or down, if you feel the service you received was not worth daily service charge added to your account you can have it removed completely...

I have never yet received sub-optimal service which would make me even consider this. (So I once got 'told off' for helping myself to a fork from the wrong place at the buffet and *almost* scolded him in reply for the manner he addressed me.) But how 'bad' does one cruise have to get for every cruise employee to be 'punished' by adjusting down to zero??

I mean if you were that annoyed with say 'Thursday's evening Meal' surely you'd just adjust down some of that days $12 worth? .. Which does seem alot of effort for $6 ... I think I'd let it go unless every day was the same?

Maybe I don't expect much from the staff but in four cruises to only have one 'negative' comment about one staff member, I think's pretty good. What are we talking here - being ignored by half the waiters and half the bar staff??

I'm trying to understand the tipping on NCL. Are you saying that they automatically take out $12.00 per day per person for gratuities????? I just need to know before hand what to expect on my cruise. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

yes you are right, back when I cruised it was $10.00 pp per day.

you can adjust your tips if you feel you need to, some people remove them completely, some people cut them in half, some people pay it all, it is all up to you. If you dont get great service you can adjust them to what you think is fair.

So - who do you talk to on the ship who controls this if you want to decide who gets what and how much?? Thanks

You go to the front desk, just as you would at a hotel, and ask to adjust the tip. Don't be surprised if they make it difficult -- it rightly is so. $12 divided out among all the people doesn't end up with all that much in their pockets, and it really is a hassle for the crew to NOT have you do this automatically, as they're required to then report whatever cash you decide to give them.

It's easier to just think about the $12 per person per day as a service charge and pay it...and then if some individual gives you exceptional service (either "one time", like in a restaurant, or for the entire week), then hand them cash at the end of your cruise.

I'm trying to understand the tipping on NCL. Are you saying that they automatically take out $12.00 per day per person for gratuities????? I just need to know before hand what to expect on my cruise. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Yes, NCL automatically "charges" the $12 per day per person on your daily bill. Plus 15% (or 18%?) gratuities are automatically added to any bar bill you may incur. The last night/early morning, your bill is delivered to your cabin with the total amount of all your ship expenditures (including the $12 day tips). Most folks pay with credit card (information taken at embarkation) so final amount is automatically charged. If you want to check on your charges, you can go to the front desk and ask to see the amount as of that particular day. You can make adjustments for tips if you feel the need to do so. Some folks don't like to be surprised at the end to see how much they've spent.:eek:

Hope this helps!:)

yes you are right, back when I cruised it was $10.00 pp per day.

you can adjust your tips if you feel you need to, some people remove them completely, some people cut them in half, some people pay it all, it is all up to you. If you dont get great service you can adjust them to what you think is fair.

Oh boy.. Got sucked in again. :rolleyes: Here's what NCL's states about tipping and the daily service charge:

What about Tipping?

Gratuities

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre-Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. The service charge is only for guests ages 3 years & up.

Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and compensated by a combination of salary and incentive program that the Service Charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise; please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise holiday. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone's complete satisfaction.

As you can see (in bold,) the daily service charge is required, and cannot just be whimsically removed because you don't feel like paying. There is a process in place to make a wrong situation right. If that cannot be achieved, then the daily service charge can be adjusted.

You've agreed to pay the daily service charge when you book a cruise. If you remove it without complaint, you are basically going against your agreement.

why are you quoteing me? I am giving the poster information based on what is talked about on these forums.

I dont care what your post says, the fact is you can adjust your tips if you feel you need to up or down.

I am not telling the poster they should or shouldnt adjust their tips,that is their decesion, they can determine wether or not they want to adjust them, they might give more or less based on their service, its not anyones buisness to tell someone how to tip.

Being that they increased the price to $12.00 pp per day, unless we get over the top service by our room steward we are not going to give him an extra tip. We dont really expect much but towels, and the bed to be made. If we eat in the specialty restaurant we will leave an extra tip.

You may not get many responses on this one since most people might not admit that they are not going to tip extra since the prices were increased.

:)

Frankly, I'm with you. I do tip extra when I'm in the bars, but otherwise the only other person to get more from me has been the room steward. I often tip him $10 up front and tell him I want the cabin to always be stocked with ice, as I bring my own drinks and i want ice. The up front tip does the trick.

why are you quoteing me? I am giving the poster information based on what is talked about on these forums.

I dont care what your post says, the fact is you can adjust your tips if you feel you need to up or down.

I am not telling the poster they should or shouldnt adjust their tips,that is their decesion, they can determine wether or not they want to adjust them, they might give more or less based on their service, its not anyones buisness to tell someone how to tip.

I quoted you because you gave incorrect information according to the NCL website.

Your interpretation that you can choose not to keep the DSC in tact for any reason is flawed. The fact that you don't care what my post says, which is copied from the NCL website, is exactly why I pointed out your error.

When someone does have their DSC removed, it becomes the business of the NCL staff as your name is put on a list of "no tippers."

I have to wonder if you have removed/adjusted your DSC. But you're right.. Not my business. :cool:

You can't route the service charge to just a few people. You can have the front desk give certain crew members extra tips but if you do this I suggest just giving them cash. If you remove the service charge to only tip a few crew members then your name is put on a list and the cash tips you give to those crew members is turned back into the pool. If you adjust the service charge amount (like cut it in half for example) then the same applies.

Oh boy.. Got sucked in again. :rolleyes: Here's what NCL's states about tipping and the daily service charge:

What about Tipping?

Gratuities

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre-Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. The service charge is only for guests ages 3 years & up.

Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and compensated by a combination of salary and incentive program that the Service Charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise; please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise holiday. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone's complete satisfaction.

As you can see (in bold,) the daily service charge is required, and cannot just be whimsically removed because you don't feel like paying. There is a process in place to make a wrong situation right. If that cannot be achieved, then the daily service charge can be adjusted.

You've agreed to pay the daily service charge when you book a cruise. If you remove it without complaint, you are basically going against your agreement.

Haha - AW, how did I know you would be in here quoting??!! LOL

I quoted you because you gave incorrect information according to the NCL website.

Your interpretation that you can choose not to keep the DSC in tact for any reason is flawed. The fact that you don't care what my post says, which is copied from the NCL website, is exactly why I pointed out your error.

When someone does have their DSC removed, it becomes the business of the NCL staff as your name is put on a list of "no tippers."

I have to wonder if you have removed/adjusted your DSC. But you're right.. Not my business. :cool:

This is the key sentence=

guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

I never said they could remove them for any resaon, i said if they had service issues they could be adjusted, my information was correct, i had no errors.

Although you seem to be scrutinizing every word I say, I am not here to give out false information, if im not pretty certain about the information I have or know first hand then I generally do not comment. For the few of you that what to keep up the drama....yahooooo!! your gonna have to try harder.

never mind. figured out my own question.

Daily Service Charge. :)

Off Topic: I like your ID name.. have you seen the video of the cute little girl doing the "smarty pants" dance? So funny.

yes I have!!! That is one of the most fun videos! I love it!

AND, I think the parent is a genius for teaching their child so young. I wish I had done the same--a little late though...my kids are 19 and 14. LOL

You can adjust the tips up or down, if you feel the service you received was not worth daily service charge added to your account you can have it removed completely, you can tip individuals extra if you please, you can basically do what you feel comfortable with. If you have a family of 4 staying in one cabin then $48.pd does add up so pay what you feel is fair.

So....what you're saying is a family of four at $48 pd adds up, therefore, if someone feels that a total of $30 pd is fair, that's what they should pay? Someone else could feel that $25 is fair, and on and on downward.

LOL @ sober, Nita.. Thanks for clarifying the spa information. I didn't know they go ahead and add the tip on. I've yet to use spa services on a cruise.

Nita, I did exactly the same thing only I also walked out with not only the back brush, but about another $300. worth of products....Heck, there was that line on the service slip that said Tip. So I did..another 20%. Husband took my picture with the massage therapist. She's still grinning.

I've learned a lot of valuable stuff hanging out here.

........ The brush which I am sure was carried at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $10 was $45.00 and I tipped 15% on everything........

Maybe the brush wasn't such a bad deal afterall.;) My neice had her hair done "up" and the stylist asked if she wanted some rhinestone combs added. She said sure, thinking how much could a couple of little combs cost? $80 for two was how much.:eek: Probably $3.79 each in Walmart.

Archived