Tipping on NCL

dmack110

I have to respectfully disagree - look at what my good friend AW says in post 37. There are many have made or will make this same point in similar ways.

We've hashed it out in the past and don't need to go down that road again. I just like to make sure the discussion is balanced whenever it comes up - paying the suggested DSC is not required and passengers should do what they feel is fair and right in their circumstances.

Sorry, but I think that you are misunderstanding what is being said in this circumstance. The DSC policy is clear and yes, can be removed if one complains enough.

However, a couple people on this thread are talking about reducing their DSC and rewarding those that they feel gave them great service extra. So, here's the scenario.

I reduce my DSC on a 7 day cruise from $12 per day to $8 per day. There are 2 of us sailing so I saved $56 on my DSC. I then take that $56 and give it to my room stewards. I feel good about what I did as I'm not stiffing the entire staff, yet I'm making sure that my stewards get a little "extra".

Our point is that they are NOT doing the best thing for their stewards. If the DSC has been altered in any way, anyone you tip extra to must turn it in to be put in the general pool. Mathmatics says if you take $56 out of the pool, and then the stewards put it back in, it's a wash which may very well be. But that's the best case scenareo. And, if you tip the stewards MORE then the $56 you deducted from the DSC,then you are definitely screwing them over. Best to leave the DSC in place and extra tip them LESS. At least they get to keep what you give them and don't just get extra couple penny's after the extra they turned in is divided by everyone.

CG

smeyer, cruisingram, Planer'sEdge and a number of others,

There are some who don't get it, and who never will no matter how many times it's explained or even if it comes from the horse's mouth...James, especially when they think they are doing their steward a favor.

Just one more thing. If anyone would read the terms of fare, fine print and most don't, it says the DSC will be added. By purchasing the cruise, you are agreeing to those terms and bound by them. BTW it also says government fees and taxes are not included but will be added so I guess I'll just adjust those down to what I think is fair.:p Same thing when there was a fuel charge, it wasn't included in the fare so I guess I could have adjusted that as well.LOL

There are some who don't get it, and who never will no matter how many times it's explained or even if it comes from the horse's mouth...James, especially when they think they are doing their steward a favor.

Just one more thing. If anyone would read the terms of fare, fine print and most don't, it says the DSC will be added. By purchasing the cruise, you are agreeing to those terms and bound by them. BTW it also says government fees and taxes are not included but will be added so I guess I'll just adjust those down to what I think is fair.:p Same thing when there was a fuel charge, it wasn't included in the fare so I guess I could have adjusted that as well.LOL

yes I know I have been staying out of them since all it causes is agita but this was a specific response to what some one did. I have no problem with people who take it off and leave the same amount in different ways but for the most part most of the people who want to take it off are looking for ways to avoid paying it and stiffing the really hard working crew mostly because they can. In the end all the people who take it off and hand the same amount over are doing is make it HARDER for the very people they are trying to "reward". I generally leave a little extra and a note for really good service. I never have reduced it.

I do notice and have posted that it appears the langauge on NCL has charged to make it at your descretion.

We are taking my 2 year old to be grandson on our next cruise. he will be doing the kids crew. he is the third in the room. NCL just increased the amount of the service charge for him from $5 to $12.00. I haven't thought it completely through yet but my current intention is to cut the suggested amount in half for him and leave it for the Kids crew. if the kids crew was included I wouldn't but that is really the only "extra" service he is getting...

The room steward get the full amount for the two of us....but as I said I haven't completely made up my mind...

Nice try. When I gave my credit card number to pay the balance due on my cruise, the balance due included all of the items you mentioned - government fees, taxes, fuel surcharge - but not the suggested tip amount/DSC. I guess that means they are different.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not automatically mean they are wrong. In fact, a balanced discussion is exactly what is needed. A number of people have tried to change my mind and nobody has make a convincing argument yet, so therefore I will try and inject my opinions where I think they will contribute.

Nice try. When I gave my credit card number to pay the balance due on my cruise, the balance due included all of the items you mentioned - government fees, taxes, fuel surcharge - but not the suggested tip amount/DSC. I guess that means they are different.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not automatically mean they are wrong. In fact, a balanced discussion is exactly what is needed. A number of people have tried to change my mind and nobody has make a convincing argument yet, so therefore I will try and inject my opinions where I think they will contribute.

you and I disagree on this. yes its your money and yes you can do what ever you want with it( I will refrain from telling you what I think you should do with it).

The problem with your approach is you make it harder for the people you claim you want to reward. if you remove it they have to turn it in on pain of being fired if they don't. Your approach also helps in the sense you give cover and succor to the people who want to remove it and then stiff the hard working crew which I'll give you is not your intention.

Tipping is part of the expected cost of cruising. NCL and many of the cruise lines take the hassle out of it by adding a daily amount, In some cases the amount is suggested and may be added at your discretion. NCL makes it mandatory and only take its it off if you go out of your way to take it off.

I don't need to lord the cash over the crew. they earn it whether its added to the fare, added on the ship or at my discretion.

So unless you have a problem leave it on and leave your ego about handing them the cash at home...

you and I disagree on this. yes its your money and yes you can do what ever you want with it( I will refrain from telling you what I think you should do with it).

The problem with your approach is you make it harder for the people you claim you want to reward. if you remove it they have to turn it in on pain of being fired if they don't. Your approach also helps in the sense you give cover and succor to the people who want to remove it and then stiff the hard working crew which I'll give you is not your intention.

Tipping is part of the expected cost of cruising. NCL and many of the cruise lines take the hassle out of it by adding a daily amount, In some cases the amount is suggested and may be added at your discretion. NCL makes it mandatory and only take its it off if you go out of your way to take it off.

I don't need to lord the cash over the crew. they earn it whether its added to the fare, added on the ship or at my discretion.

So unless you have a problem leave it on and leave your ego about handing them the cash at home...

Yes we disagree and I think that is perfectly fine. I've discussed it with you and others and noone is changing their minds, and that is also fine.

But I will chime in with my opinion when I see misinformation presented as fact in support of an argument. Two specifics that come to mind in this thread is the idea that people are paid $50/month to work on cruise ships and the idea that customers are contractually obligated to pay the $12 suggested tip amount per person per day.

I also will react when people are dismissive of my opinion only due to the fact I have 35 posts here as opposed to 3,500. Actually, I would be a little worried about myself if I had 3,500 posts anywhere.

I also will react when people are dismissive of my opinion only due to the fact I have 35 posts here as opposed to 3,500. Actually, I would be a little worried about myself if I had 3,500 posts anywhere.

No one is being dismissive of your opinion because of your post count. I was only commenting on your pompous belief that you are the only one presenting truth around here.

As for the topic at hand, there are always going to be a certain set of people that believe they are exempt from following rules/guidelines due to their interpretation of said guidelines. These are the same people that did not show up for dinner on the last night of a cruise when tips were traditionally handed out.

PE

No one is being dismissive of your opinion because of your post count. I was only commenting on your pompous belief that you are the only one presenting truth around here.

As for the topic at hand' date=' there are always going to be a certain set of people that believe they are exempt from following rules/guidelines due to their interpretation of said guidelines. These are the same people that did not show up for dinner on the last night of a cruise when tips were traditionally handed out.

PE[/quote']

Now I'm being called pompous! Well, if you read my contributions to this thread, you will see I am always stating that I am providing my opinions as to the topic. What bothers you is that my opinions do not match your narrow-minded interpretations that you try to foist on unsuspecting posters as fact.

Like I suggested in my last message and I will make clear now: 3,500 postings does not make you an expert, it simply makes you a person with too much time on their hands.

Like I suggested in my last message and I will make clear now: 3,500 postings does not make you an expert, it simply makes you a person with too much time on their hands.

3,500 posts is from being here since May of 2000 not having too much time on my hands. You on the other hand joined what, 1 1/2 - 2 months ago.

My experience also come from 27 cruises, 19 of which have been on NCL.

I state facts not interpretations. Most people around here state facts from documentation that exists to clarify issues. Your interpretations are what cause confusion to the many newbies around here. Please feel free to go back and re-read AWinkler's post (#37) and notice wording like "Pre-Paid Service Fee is required" and "In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced." These are not Awinkler's interpretation but the actual words from form your cruise contract.

PE

PE

Actually, I would be a little worried about myself if I had 3,500 posts anywhere.

3,500 postings does not make you an expert, it simply makes you a person with too much time on their hands.

Was wondering how long it would take you to stoop to personal attacks. Anyone surprised? Not me for sure.

CG

to the OP

The fact of the matter is you DO NOT have to pay the $12. pp per day charge if you feel the service didnt warrant it period. Like one of the posters above said.....if your in port on day 3 from 7-5 pm and ate in none of the dinning rooms, why should you pay tips that day? yes pay the steward for cleaning your room, but why tip anyone else that day? you were not there, you didnt use the service, so why should you pay. imo if you pay your steward cash that day for cleaning the room, and take the other tips off your bill for that day because you didnt use the services, and ncl takes that money away from the steward, then they are theones scr*wing their own employess.

Ok, here's a scenario, all quality responses appreciated.

We have been on a couple of cruises to Europe that have been so fast paced and port intensive that we really didn't eat in the dining rooms at all, we ate room service for breakfast and hit the ground running, eating lunch and dinner everyday in port.

At the end of the cruise, we adjusted the DSC down because we didn't utilize the dining service BUT we tipped the room service delivery and room steward heavily in cash for their extra trouble?

OK or Not?

why wouldnt it be okay?

makes perfect sense to me, why pay for something you didnt use.

Does NCL charge the full $12 a day for children in the same cabin too? That seems really expensive to me. And I still have to tip kids crew. I always tip the kids crew bc we use them. That seems like an awful lot of money to me for kids.

Also please tell me how they charge these fees. On a 4 night/5 day sailing, do they tip for 4 days or 5? I'm a little confused about this. It would seem parking in the port is the same way. Do they charge for 4 days or 5?

I have cruised before and you would have thought I would know these things by now but I never really had to pay attention to these fees bc my DH always paid them. But now I am divorced and have to pay them all myself and I'm so lost! LOL

Someone help please.:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Yes we disagree and I think that is perfectly fine. I've discussed it with you and others and noone is changing their minds, and that is also fine.

But I will chime in with my opinion when I see misinformation presented as fact in support of an argument. Two specifics that come to mind in this thread is the idea that people are paid $50/month to work on cruise ships and the idea that customers are contractually obligated to pay the $12 suggested tip amount per person per day.

the base is $50 per month(or close to it) but they do pay a minimum draw against the service charge of about $1500 per month which includes the base and an amount from the service charge. It also includes room and board and airfare to and from if they complete the contract as well as some healthcare on the ship. On some cruise lines without a mandatory or suggested amount its only the minimum. You have no proof that it is different. As to the obligation it arises both from the cruise contract and as being part of a society where tipping is expected.

but do you honestly believe that it is ok not to tip at all? I know that isn't exactly the way you want the question phrased but that is really what in the end is the result of what you post- I am sure an unintended.consequence.

Does NCL charge the full $12 a day for children in the same cabin too? That seems really expensive to me. And I still have to tip kids crew. I always tip the kids crew bc we use them. That seems like an awful lot of money to me for kids.

Also please tell me how they charge these fees. On a 4 night/5 day sailing, do they tip for 4 days or 5? I'm a little confused about this. It would seem parking in the port is the same way. Do they charge for 4 days or 5?

I have cruised before and you would have thought I would know these things by now but I never really had to pay attention to these fees bc my DH always paid them. But now I am divorced and have to pay them all myself and I'm so lost! LOL

Thanks in advance.

Yes the new rule is 12 per person age two and above. I posted elsewhere I think it in excessive for the third and higher person in the room if the person is a child especially when the kids crew is not part of the pool.

Its per night. so a five day four night is charged for 4 services charges/

to the OP

The fact of the matter is you DO NOT have to pay the $12. pp per day charge if you feel the service didnt warrant it period. Like one of the posters above said.....if your in port on day 3 from 7-5 pm and ate in none of the dinning rooms, why should you pay tips that day? yes pay the steward for cleaning your room, but why tip anyone else that day? you were not there, you didnt use the service, so why should you pay. imo if you pay your steward cash that day for cleaning the room, and take the other tips off your bill for that day because you didnt use the services, and ncl takes that money away from the steward, then they are theones scr*wing their own employess.

Be careful, you are disagreeing with the "veterans" on here. The pounding you take will be merciless.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, sorry to say they increased the childrens service charge to the same as an adult. I also think this is a bit excessive.

If you cruise is a 4 day cruise you will be charge for 4 days. A 4 day cruise does sort of appear to be a 4 night/5 day cruise but it is not.

PE

Be careful, you are disagreeing with the "veterans" on here. The pounding you take will be merciless.

You have not been pounded. Your opinion was just brought into question as being incorrect.

Are your feelings getting a little bruised and you feel the need to lash out. Poor baby.:rolleyes:

PE

the base is $50 per month(or close to it) but they do pay a minimum draw against the service charge of about $1500 per month which includes the base and an amount from the service charge. It also includes room and board and airfare to and from if they complete the contract as well as some healthcare on the ship. On some cruise lines without a mandatory or suggested amount its only the minimum. You have no proof that it is different. As to the obligation it arises both from the cruise contract and as being part of a society where tipping is expected.

but do you honestly believe that it is ok not to tip at all? I know that isn't exactly the way you want the question phrased but that is really what in the end is the result of what you post- I am sure an unintended.consequence.

Of course it is not okay to not tip at all, but my point is around the entire $50/month statement. If you read just the original post that mentions that, you would think the cruise staff are paid $50/month plus tips and that is just not true. I disagree with some of the people on here, but I am respectful of their opinions - it just drives me nuts when inaccurate, incomplete or misleading information is used to suport them, especially when they know it is such.

You have not been pounded. Your opinion was just brought into question as being incorrect.

Are your feelings getting a little bruised and you feel the need to lash out. Poor baby.:rolleyes:

PE

Naah, I'm okay.

If you can scrape the time together, can you put everything you know as fact regarding cruising into one big post so I have one place I can go to get everything I need to know. Thanks very much.

Was wondering how long it would take you to stoop to personal attacks. Anyone surprised? Not me for sure.

CG

Don't worry, with more than 2,300 posts since April last year, you'll get to the magic 3,500 and more before you know it.

OK fair but....when you purchase the cruise, you are also buying/accepting the terms which say the DSC will be added and it doesn't matter if it's on your credit card as balance due or added once on board.

......( I will refrain from telling you what I think you should do with it).....

I'm assumng that's a very dark place.:D:p

I for one would like to see NCL just add the DSC as part of the fare like they do with taxes, fees. etc., then If anyone wanted to give someone extra, maybe they would understand that, that's the part that is discrestionary. It sure would put an end to some of the discussions.:D

I always felt that by calling it a DSC, NCL was trying to close the gap created by those who did not tip or tipped very little. Seems they need to close the gap even further. ;)

Don't worry, with more than 2,300 posts since April last year, you'll get to the magic 3,500 and more before you know it.

Again, typical response. And again, not one bit surprised. :)

Oh and btw, glad to see you made a new friend on this thread. The two of you will be very happy together. LOL

CG

Archived