Help with dress for wedding

Nuncie

My son is getting married this April in a small intimate ceremony inside at a resort in New Hampshire. I need help with what to wear. My future daughter-in-law wants us to be comfortable and has left it up to me with no guidelines as to the color or length of the dress. I assume the mom has not picked out anything yet because this wedding was suppose to take place in the fall but because the cost and the size was so overwhelming they have moved it up to April so as to not to loose their deposit.

I am 60 years old and wear a 14 and 5'6". Everything I find is way to young for me. I rather find something that is not too expensive and with sleeves. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

What time is the wedding? If it's late morning or early afternoon, almost any "nice" dress will be fine. Knee-length will be appropriate. If it's an evening wedding, you'll probably want to go a bit "fancier".

Talk to the mother of the bride---she has "dibs" on color choice first!

I'd get shopping soon--there should still be some long-sleeved dresses in the stores--and in April in NH, it's still cool!

Since they're leaving it to your judgement, just go shopping and buy what looks good on you! It doesn't have to be from a "bridal shop"! And don't worry about it being "too young"--at 60, you're hardly ancient!!!

There should be all kinds of things out right now for Spring with Easter coming up soon. Do you have a favorite color that you are thinking about? Has your future DIL picked any floral colors, etc. This might help in your decision. I don't think you will have any problem finding something that will be suitable, and at a rasonable price. Even if the dress were sleeveless, so many of them come with jackets or shrugs that would be nice.

What about some pretty separates? The typical MOG dress might be too "stuffy" and formal for a small intimate wedding. There are so many beautiful flowy skirts being sold now, and these would look gorgeous paired with a pretty blouse and/or jacket.

:)

My son is getting married this April in a small intimate ceremony inside at a resort in New Hampshire. I need help with what to wear. My future daughter-in-law wants us to be comfortable and has left it up to me with no guidelines as to the color or length of the dress. I assume the mom has not picked out anything yet because this wedding was suppose to take place in the fall but because the cost and the size was so overwhelming they have moved it up to April so as to not to loose their deposit.

I am 60 years old and wear a 14 and 5'6". Everything I find is way to young for me. I rather find something that is not too expensive and with sleeves. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Does it have to be a dress? I thought this would be really cute.

http://www.onestopplus.com/product.aspx?PfId=154386&DeptId=19093&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=I&pref=cs&pos=1&rec=Certona

0003_78461_mc_2984.jpg?wid=230&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

Candlelight & Champagne® rhinestone-buckle knit pantset

makes the occasion special.

• Gently draping tunic has gathered surplice neckline
  • Rhinestone buckle accent
  • Empire waist with shirring
  • Sheer sleeves with elastic cuffs, back zip
  • 30"
  • Flat-front pants with back elastic; 29"
  • Polyester knit

Sizes:12W-34W

Item #: 0003-78461-1337

Was: $79.99 - $89.99

Now: $69.99

How about something like this. http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Sequin-Bodice-Dress.aspx?PfId=156785&DeptId=12617&ProductTypeId=1

0503_50562_mm.jpg?wid=230&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

Sequin Bodice Dress

Stunning sequin bodice dress. V-neck empire waist dress has beaded mesh bodice, sleeves, and hem.

• Crinkle polyester georgette with polyester knit lining.
  • Back zip; abt. 42'.
  • Spot clean only.
  • Imported.
  • Sizes: 14W-34W

Item #: 0503-50562-1280

Was: $179.99 - $199.99

Now: $59.99

I suggest you have a talk with both the bride and the brides mother to find out the formality of the event. Just because it is small doesn't mean it's not formal. On the other hand, small may mean casual for them.

After finding out that information, then you can start the search. There are tons of online stores, I'd try a department store before resorting to a bridal shop (I'm just not crazy for the bridal shop dresses, too matronly MOB for me). Just because you are 60 and a size 14 doesn't mean you have to settle for dowdy or frumpy!

Just off Nordstrom site, I found at least 15 dresses that I would consider:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/SR/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014165?display=search&P=1&origin=styleResultsPager_numbers&viewAll=1&tuid=5ac8a3da-c3a2-4a79-9a40-46ccfcd02a6e&CatID=6014165&size=RegularL&findertype=2&searchorigin=ProductFinder&mediumthumbnail=Y&findertypereqd=N&pbo=6014165

My faves:

_5780177.jpg_5718463.jpg_5658901.jpg_5622260.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately my thighs seem to be a bigger problem than I thought. I would perfer to find a short dress or mid calf something that is free flowing so not to cling to the thigs. Didn't have much luck today at the mall. We only have a Macy's and Pennys close by. Hopefully to hit a larger mall this weekend to get some more ideas on a style so if I need to order on line. Time is ticking away.

Can you check with the bride about her mother's dress to get a better idea of length and how formal or casual she plans to be? That should give you a better idea of what to do. I suggest Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstrom's (including the Rack). If it is informal I would try Coldwater Creek or Chico's.

OK...here's my little backyard wedding story...

The groom was the best friend of my then-bf. They were getting married in her parents' backyard. I had never meet any of the family members.

Despite the bride and groom's wishes to be casual and comfortable (in July), most friends decided to go with dresses and suits (planning to remove jackets and ties after the ceremony).

I had recently purchased a new dress - a tank-style calf length dress with a matching jacket in a teal rayon jacquard (did I mention this was a few years ago??).

Well...Mother-of-the-groom had the same dress in royal blue!!

What could I do other then complement her on her good taste! (And send up prayers of thanks that we had on different colors, at least!).

Just thought of something!!! We'll ask Curt!!!! He always comes up with the best things!!! Okay' date=' Calling CJW....we need your input on this!![/color']

I just saw this! (I've been mostly answering Men's Suit questions the past couple of weeks)...

I think that a lot of the ideas are good so far, but I'm a big believer in options, as you never know what will just be the right thing to spur an idea or inspiration for someone or from someone else...

(And did you all know that I actually designed and had the dress made for my own mom for my wedding?!?!;))...

I'll check a few things, and just put any of my ideas out there later on...

I just saw this! (I've been mostly answering Men's Suit questions the past couple of weeks)...

I think that a lot of the ideas are good so far, but I'm a big believer in options, as you never know what will just be the right thing to spur an idea or inspiration for someone or from someone else...

(And did you all know that I actually designed and had the dress made for my own mom for my wedding?!?!;))...

I'll check a few things, and just put any of my ideas out there later on...

Well it's about time time Curt! I knew you were out there lurking around somewhere!:D

Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately my thighs seem to be a bigger problem than I thought. I would perfer to find a short dress or mid calf something that is free flowing so not to cling to the thigs. Didn't have much luck today at the mall. We only have a Macy's and Pennys close by. Hopefully to hit a larger mall this weekend to get some more ideas on a style so if I need to order on line. Time is ticking away.

Okay, so ideally, I'd love to know your coloring (hair, skin tone, etc.) to make a super personal stylist choice...

But, it sounds like you need ideas and inspiration right now...

So, I'm just going to post lots of ideas and inspiration, and if you let us know what is going in the right direction (including some of the ones that have been previously posted) that will help a lot...

So here we go!

Here are some that I love that you can order online from a great boutique in LA...

4732_royalblue_m.jpg3006_gold_m.jpg6250_blackwhite_m.jpg

I'm going to post this before I lose it, then post more from other specific stores...

;)

Okay, now that I've done "normal" options...

If I was your personal stylist, I'd think a little more "outside the box" here.

You are a size 14, which is basically the same size as a lot of the film stars of the 40s and 50s (so many people forget!)

and you are only 60!, which in this day and age, no need to be in the matronly realm at all...

It's also the same size as recent America's Next Top Model winner Whitney...

So, considering all of that, I'd go and think more vintage styles and cuts.

It would be nicely "conservative" for a wedding.

It would not be "too young", as it's a style from another age.

It would not be "too matronly", as it's still modern and hip in it's own way!

That being said, here are just some of my off the wall ideas that could get you to think in a different way, and be fantastic for your situation!

index.bvi?productid=153

so stylish and cute!

index.bvi?productid=185

cute and fun, but more casual...

index.bvi?productid=180

Cool, comfortable, fantastically cute collar. Wear it without the belt.

index.bvi?productid=158

Perfection in Gold and Turquoise!

index.bvi?productid=116

Something that combines all of the above...

Just more ideas and inspiration...

all from http://www.bettiepageclothing.com

SIgh .. CJW.. you are bad .. and you know it !!!

I personally love retro so I adore those ....

A quick note .. I believe the first three that Curt posted are from a boutique that I have ordered from and I am very impressed with the quality of the dress that I bought.

I love this dress, and each item on this site has all the reviews posted by women that have purchased and worn them:

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Lace-Jacket-Dress.aspx?PfId=156791&DeptId=14309&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

The reviews are especially good for getting a feel for the fit. Anything you buy comes with a return UPS label, and they charge a flat $6.50 for returns. It's quite simple.

Archived