How often ..50% off sale?

JJPacer

We are fairly new to Princess. We went on 1 cruise, then received the 50% off offer for Alaska, and took advantage of that. How often does Princess have this type of sale? Is it offered only for Alaska, or for other itineraries as well?

This will be our 3rd PCL sailing and I dont remember ever getting a 2 for 1 offer prior to this. We seem to get one offer or another from PCL, RCCL, or HAL on a weekly basis. We also took advantage of the Alaskan 2 4 1.....I am hoping the do this with Hawaii, Panama Canal or New England.....We will be there...if they do :)

I think what is happening is a result of the down economy. I have read in multiple places that tourism related industries are down, and Alaska has been particularly hard hit. If you can afford to go, it appears this is one of the "up sides" if you want to call it that. On another thread (or maybe in another site) I saw discussion of cutback of cruise ship ammenities ..... which might be occurring for the same reason.

This is the first time I have seen Princess offering 2 for 1 fares for many years. I got 2 for 1 offers for Alaska and Europe this year. Was already booked for Alaska and got a great price drop when the 2 for 1 fares came out.

I haven't seen deals like this since right after 9/11. I am sure it is due to the economy and getting those ships filled. But with Princess ships sailing full (with waitlists) almost continuously, I was surprised to see so many offers.

But with so many ships now in Alaska for the Summer and Europe in the spring summer and fall, who knows how long these deals will last?

Oh, I'm definitely paying more in airfare than I am for the European cruise I just booked! But this deal was too good to pass up -- it's the itinerary I've longed to do for three years but never could afford. In a single on a small ships, it was nearly $6K for the past two years. I'm got it for a fraction of that price! If you're getting a good deal on that Asian cruise, you should probably jump on it -- who knows when or if these deals will come back, and the airfare is probably always going to be high.

CruisePRN, The deal on Ocean Princess for February 20 2010 is a great one, and I booked it for that very reason. I've always wanted to go to Japan, and decided this was the time. rdsqrl is right that the airfare will probably never get much lower, and possibly get higher, so with a deal that is about half price for the cruise, this is a great time to book. I doubt I'll ever get to Japan for less. I've also always wanted to try one of the Princess small ships, and this cruise will allow me to do that as well. I feel sad that I am benefiting in a small way from the bad economy (low prices on cruises) but feel good that I am helping the economy by booking this cruise with Princess. Though some of my money will go overseas, much of it will go the California-based Princess.

Our first cruise with Princess was a 2 for 1 on the Crown Princess. It was our honeymoon in May 1991. I believe that it was discounted due to the Gulf War. The sad thing about it is that back then cruising was still expensive. I believe that we paid around $2000.00 for both of us for an obstructed view forward. 18yrs later we are only paying $1000.00 for both of us for an obstructed view mid ship.

I'm looking at the fabulous deal on Ocean princess to China and Japan Feb 20 2010. It's about half off from what it was a month ago. The air is is $500 more then the cruise which is of concern to me.

Congrats. I would love to cruise Asia.

My offer is for Europe and Alaska. I've cruised Alaska already, and Europe might not work out for me this year.

I'd be on the watch for some good lead-in pricing when the next batch of itineraries are released for 2010. My perception is that many people are unwilling to commit to spending that is a long way off because they're just uncertain about their ability to afford that spending when the time comes. Princess will want to have early bookings and avoid fire-sale pricing later.

Archived