IBS and the preboarding questionaire

rubytue

Those health forms are meant to find out about norovirus, or a present illness, not about a chronic condition. It's a shame that we should even have to think about not telling the truth, but when you read the story above, you do realize that the person who allows you to board is in danger of losing their job. Norovirus is a serious illness that HAL and other ships are trying to prevent so it's understandable that they don't want ill people to board. But, IBS is not Noro.

Speaking about that form, I was surprised to see that it doesn't ask if you've had a fever. That shows, they only are concerned with Noro.

Thanks for the story. That is the exact situation I am trying to avoid *sigh*

I tried to talk to him about it last night, but its a bit of a stubborn old man thing, he hardly admitted he had problems. So I will have to talk to my step-mom about it.

Just make sure that he or step-mom gets a letter from his doctor "just in case". It might save the cruise. Good luck! :)

... story above, you do realize that the person who allows you to board is in danger of losing their job.
And yet she let the rest of the party board, who all could have been infected (at an earlier stage) if it had indeed been Noro. IIRC the form does say "or anyone else in your party." If that's correct, then if dad lies step-mom will have to also.

I totally hate thinking of lying. I will wait for the response from HAL, talk to step-mom about it, and then really hope that he doesn't have a flare up in the days before we go. That would be the best thing and then we'd never have to cross that bridge.

Here are the nine questions on HAL's 'Pre-Boarding Health Questionnaire & Declaration" (verbatim):

Pre-Boarding

Health Questionnaire & Declaration

Prior to embarking the vessel, the below questions must be answered.

Each guest must fill out a separate questionnaire.

Please be sure to sign and date this form at the conclusion, including

your assigned stateroom number and return it to the check-in staff ashore.

This form will be kept on record for future reference.

During the past 2 days, or today;

1. Have you experienced diarrhea (more than 3 stool per day)? Yes No

2. Have you experienced vomiting? Yes No

3. Have you experienced fever? Yes No

4. Have you experienced abdominal pain/cramps and/or headache associated with any of the above symptoms? Yes No

5. Has anyone in your group experienced diarrhea (more than 3 stool per day)? Yes No

6. Has anyone in your group experienced vomiting? Yes No n/a

7. Has anyone in your group experienced fever? Yes No n/a

8. Has anyone in your group experienced abdominal pain/cramps and/or headache associated with any of the above symptoms? Yes No n/a

9. Other relevant health related information

Below that:

We require this information for the safety of all guests. No one will be denied boarding for answering 'yes' to any question. If, however, it is later determined that any guest provided us with false information, that guest will be required to disembark the vessel in the next port and make their own arrangements to return home.

I have read the above and answered all questions

truthfully

Signature (print name)

(date) (stateroom)

Well, we know that's not true!!

It is my understanding that if a guest answers 'yes' to anyone of the nine questions asked, that will lead to an interview with a person from the ship's medical department (either the ship's doctor and/or a nurse). The results of that interview/evaluation will determine what happens next

Here are the nine questions on HAL's 'Pre-Boarding Health Questionnaire & Declaration" (verbatim):

Pre-Boarding

Health Questionnaire & Declaration

Prior to embarking the vessel, the below questions must be answered.

Each guest must fill out a separate questionnaire.

Please be sure to sign and date this form at the conclusion, including

your assigned stateroom number and return it to the check-in staff ashore.

This form will be kept on record for future reference.

During the past 2 days, or today;

1. Have you experienced diarrhea (more than 3 stool per day)? Yes No

2. Have you experienced vomiting? Yes No

3. Have you experienced fever? Yes No

4. Have you experienced abdominal pain/cramps and/or headache associated with any of the above symptoms? Yes No

5. Has anyone in your group experienced diarrhea (more than 3 stool per day)? Yes No

6. Has anyone in your group experienced vomiting? Yes No n/a

7. Has anyone in your group experienced fever? Yes No n/a

8. Has anyone in your group experienced abdominal pain/cramps and/or headache associated with any of the above symptoms? Yes No n/a

9. Other relevant health related information

Below that:

We require this information for the safety of all guests. No one will be denied boarding for answering 'yes' to any question. If, however, it is later determined that any guest provided us with false information, that guest will be required to disembark the vessel in the next port and make their own arrangements to return home.

I have read the above and answered all questions

truthfully

Signature (print name)

(date) (stateroom)

Thank you so much!!!!!! By that definition of diarrhea, I think even an IBS flare up could answer no, as its usually just one. :D

Got a response from HAL. Slightly less useful than the information provided here. Paraphrased: If there is a yes, then a nurse would be "summonded" and the passenger(s) will be asked to explain the answer.

No clarification on the questions (but Copper10-8 answered me that), nor confirmation that they will not automatically be denied boarding. Oh well.

Got a response from HAL. Slightly less useful than the information provided here. Paraphrased: If there is a yes, then a nurse would be "summonded" and the passenger(s) will be asked to explain the answer.

No clarification on the questions (but Copper10-8 answered me that), nor confirmation that they will not automatically be denied boarding. Oh well.

And you've already read Marc's story. I would not rely on the ship's nurse to make an informed decision.

The paper is a self-assessment to see if you are infected with the Noro-virus.

If you have a chronic disease involving diarrea or vomiting, then this is of no concern, as this is not a viral infection and thus of no value to HAL.

In that case, answer NO on all questions. I state again, the questionnaire is meant to self assess NORO-VIRUS.

And you've already read Marc's story. I would not rely on the ship's nurse to make an informed decision.

Very true. Like I said earlier, I'm going to (a) hope that its not an issue (b) advise that the wording of 3-per-day means it should be easy to answer no. But I did promise to report back what HAL said.

• 2 months later...

I have Ulcerative Colitis...AND IBS. Even with my UC in remission on a good day I go at least 3 times hahaha. I'd put no, but I do think getting a note from the Dr. is a good idea.

I also know that if it gets worse while I'm there and there's no way to get to my doc.. I have medicine to help me calm down a flare.

My biggest concern period.. is not having a bathroom in a long line waiting to get on the boat...

Archived