Barcelona to cruise ship?

Does anyone know if they run a shuttle to the port from Las Ramblas. I read somewhere there is one at the bottom, near the Christopher Columbus statue. Is that correct?

I am staying at the Hotel Universal in Las Ramblas, pre-cruise. Is it easy to get to the ship from where the hotel is located?

Does anyone know if they run a shuttle to the port from Las Ramblas. I read somewhere there is one at the bottom, near the Christopher Columbus statue. Is that correct?

I am staying at the Hotel Universal in Las Ramblas, pre-cruise. Is it easy to get to the ship from where the hotel is located?

2008-NCL-Jade-30152-BCN.jpg

This picture is the Columbus Column.

Back to the open sea

Face to Column

Right side on the opposite side of the square: La Rambla ends here.

2008-NCL-Jade-30143-Hafenbus.jpg

You still see the foot of the Columbus Column.

Between the trees there are the lanes of the Port Bus.

The left one is an arriving bus from the port.

You need to go to the right side where you can see the waiting hut of glass.

2008BCNPortbus-vi.jpg

It's 2 EUR for one-way and 3 EUR for return.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed

I am fairly new to CC and I am always amazed when I see your posts. The detail and care that you put in to help fellow cruisers is very heartwarming. Thank you for all the help you have given me and I am sure many others. This post is especially helpful as I too am doing a pre-cruise day in Barcelona.

~ BJ

Although HeinBloed's reply is spot on, I personally wouldn't do hotel to the ship by the shuttle. It can get packed and if its a short cruise, the bus will be packed with local Spainiards... its a real scrum even without bags! Get a taxi from your hotel to the port; it will only be about €17.

Simon

A taxi takes about 30 mins Mick (cost about €35). I think the real problem will be will they wait to fill up the bus before you head off. We had this once in Miami and we were hanging around on the bus for over an hour before doing the 10 minute drive to the hotel!

Simon

To the OP--you will be MUCH better off taking a taxi from your hotel to the ship. I am very frugal and take public transport everywhere in Europe but in this case it's way too much of a hassle. The bus IS packed and just not worth it IMO. From our hotel on Las Ramblas, it was 13 euros to the ship.

Having said that, we go to the port by taxi and drop off our luggage and check in, THEN take said port bus back into town (without luggage) for a few more hours enjoying Barcelona before sailing.

Cathy

Thank-you so very much for the pictures and awesome reply. The step by step instructions is wonderbar. For those of you who suggest a taxi, is there a time to avoid the shuttle so that it will not be so packed? How often does the shuttle run?

How often does the shuttle run?

There is no fixed schedule and someone told us max. waiting time is 25 minutes... BUT when we were there:

at the peak-time: arrival of ships or check-in times it was very frequently... so partly every few minutes... no normally you never have to wait too long.

The shuttle need 5-10 minutes depending to the Terminal you are.

Here is a map of the port area:

http://www.apb.es/wps/wcm/connect/1a5b228049290ccda8b8b873eb65d2bd/ca.planol.q.100.4992x1498.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1a5b228049290ccda8b8b873eb65d2bd

You see MONUMENT A COLUM - that's the origin point of the Portbus for the Cruise Terminals. Right above is La Rambla.

Left below (in the green sector to the West): that's the major cruise terminals for larger ships. The smaller ships berth at World Trade Center mostly.

Now you have your orientation.

Regards,

HeinBloed

When using the port bus, is there a place to put your luggage?

Of course... Subject you do not carry more than the bus can accomodate...

Do not worry...

See on the picture how many folks are waiting there with all their bags and they made it to the ship...

They all fit into the bus incl. their bags.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the tips on the port shuttle. Most helpful. Would you know if taking the aerobus or the train from the airport to Las Ramblas via metro(hotel Universal) with luggage is doable? If so, is it easy and safe to do?

Would you know if taking the aerobus or the train from the airport to Las Ramblas via metro(hotel Universal) with luggage is doable? If so, is it easy and safe to do?

We did it - easy and safe. Aerobus to Placa Catalunya. Walk across the square to the Metro, a couple of stops to Drassanes then a 100yd walk from the Metro to the Port Bus. MUCH cheaper than taking a taxi and no real issues. You will have to carry your cases down some stops to the Metro. The only problem was one we've encountered in many places in Europe which is that the British (and Americans) are very polite when it comes to queuing, whilst some others are not :rolleyes: so be prepared to stand your ground when it comes to getting onto the port shuttle.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again - at a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

We did it - easy and safe. Aerobus to Placa Catalunya. Walk across the square to the Metro, a couple of stops to Drassanes then a 100yd walk from the Metro to the Port Bus. MUCH cheaper than taking a taxi and no real issues. You will have to carry your cases down some stops to the Metro. The only problem was one we've encountered in many places in Europe which is that the British (and Americans) are very polite when it comes to queuing, whilst some others are not :rolleyes: so be prepared to stand your ground when it comes to getting onto the port shuttle.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again - at a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

This you can have it much more "cheaper", i. e. easier...

When you transfer with the metro you have to change the levels up and down...

Take Commuter Train line 10 to Franca...

At the airport there are escelator and elevators at the Airport station (the moving walkways do not move anymore...).

At Franca station there are more or less no stairs as this is a terminal station.

From here it's two stops by bus (street level) to Columbus Column.

From one bus stop to the next to the port bus it's half of the way of Drassenes to port bus and no level difference...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the tips on the port shuttle. Most helpful. Would you know if taking the aerobus or the train from the airport to Las Ramblas via metro(hotel Universal) with luggage is doable? If so, is it easy and safe to do?

We stayed just round the corner of your hotel...

But we took a taxi: it was about 25 EUR from the airport...

We did only the commuter train. It was safe. But use the doors at the center of the train. The cars are lower to handle your bags. It was safe and fast.

Sants was also o.k.

And Parallel is a great subway station - the funicular (ropecar) to Montjuic just starts here and from there the ropecar to Castell.

It was easy to walk over to La Rambla and to La Boqueria (Market Hall).

Your hotel has such a good description:

http://www.nnhotels.com/en/hotelbarcelonauniversal/how_to_arrive.php

I cannot do it better.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbload,

I'm a little confused - is the Franca station AT the airport? I assume this bus is equipped for luggage? Are there separate fares for this bus and port bus?

Thank you for your invaluable information, as always.

Heinbload,

I'm a little confused - is the Franca station AT the airport? I assume this bus is equipped for luggage? Are there separate fares for this bus and port bus?

Thank you for your invaluable information, as always.

What have I done???

O.K. Let's do it in HeinBloed style and watch this picture:

2008-NCLJade-40224-Abreise.jpg

The Commuter Train Route 10 connects

Airport

with Barcelona Sants (the main railways station - connects you to Subway (Metro) and HoHo-Bus)

Passeig de Gracia (in the Gothic District / close to Placa de Catalunya)

and

Estacio de Franca (the second major railways station. It's important if you want to go to France by train).

And now open this map:

http://www.apb.es/wps/wcm/connect/1a5b228049290ccda8b8b873eb65d2bd/ca.planol.q.100.4992x1498.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1a5b228049290ccda8b8b873eb65d2bd

On the right you can see Estacio de Franca.

From there you go left to Monument de Colom.

And from here the port bus starts.

You need a separate ticket for the port bus as the bus is operated independently by the Barcelona Port Authorities.

If you go by train and bus to Columbus Column:

1.35 EUR for the train from Airport to Franca

1.35 EUR for the bus from Franca to Columbus Column

2.00 EUR for the bus from Columbus Column to the port

If you use the Aerobus

4.05 EUR for the bus from Airport to Placa Espanya

1.35 EUR for the subway from Espanya to Drassenes

2.00 EUR for the bus from Columbus Column to the port

IF YOU HAVE A PRE-CRUISE:

1 Day-pass incl. train (but not Aerobus) and all other means of transports within Barcelona it's 5.80 EUR (also passes for several days available) +

2.00 EUR for the port bus.

It's a regular city bus between Franca and Columbus Column. And they can accomodate wheelchairs or baby strollers so for a limited number of baggage it should not be a problem.

But from Franca it's very close and cheap to make this last mile to the port maybe by taxi.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I noticed that there is a Port Bus Symbol on the map near the Parllel metro station. Is this correct? Do they stop there and pick up passengers? How often do they come?

Sorry... only for workers to other parts of the port.

The port bus for cruisers starts only at Columbus Column... Nothing for you!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the info Heinbloed. I guess we will walk from our hotel (Hotel Universal) to the column to find the port bus. From what I can figure it is about 1000 meters from the hotel to where the port bus is. Thanks a whole bunch!

Thanks for the info Heinbloed. I guess we will walk from our hotel (Hotel Universal) to the column to find the port bus. From what I can figure it is about 1000 meters from the hotel to where the port bus is. Thanks a whole bunch!

Spend 1.35 EUR for a metro ticket from Parallel to Drassenes and cut 850 meter...

By the way: if you miss your Governour Arnie... he is tonight here in town...

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived