Mariner Society questions

lysolqn

If the other cruiselines have to entice people to sail with them, and offer other perks, maybe they aren't providing the same quality cruise that HAL offers.

JMHO of course.:rolleyes:

That's just the parochial mindset I've been bucking throughout this thread. That other cruise lines offer loyalty perks is not necessarily an indication that they provide a cruise experience of any lesser quality than does HAL. Some lines reward loyalty and still offer an excellent cruise product, dare I say arguably even better than HAL.

Many cruiselines offer the aforementioned as both loyalty perx and suite perx. Contrary to what some suite pax may believe, not all perx offered to them are exclusive.

They can't both charge for AND give them as free. They are being paid for by Suite pax in their fare. We choose to buy those features when we choose to pay a considerably higher fare. We are buying more than just more square footage cabin.

What do you do about the guest who has paid money for those features because they booked a suite and that same guest happens to have 500 days on HAL?

They can't priority board twice. :D

They will be getting less for their money if that becomes a 'gimme' and if many more people are getting priority boarding., it becomes far less priority. ;)

So you're not opposed to the 'gimmies' HAL has chosen for you and for which you already pay, just to ones offered by other cruise lines?

Nope. :) Never said that. Just said that anything more they add as 'gimmies' will cost us more. There is nothing for free.

So the lapel pins, porcelain tiles and Mariner lunches/teas chosen by HAL on your behalf are not 'the sort of 'free' things arbitrarily chosen to be something [you] want as a 'gimmie?'"

These things currently exist and may or may not continue. Who knows? I am generally of the thinking no more is necessary or (for us) particularly sought after. JMHO......

"Crummy"! Great turn of phrase. Takes me back to Bloody Mary and South Pacific.

HAL seems to be doing fine with the Mariners program they have. I doubt we're likely to see major changes unless they see some benefit to the company in making such changes.

We like 'em for many reasons that have nothing to do with any incentive program.

They can't both charge for AND give them as free. They are being paid for by Suite pax in their fare. We choose to buy those features when we choose to pay a considerably higher fare. We are buying more than just more square footage cabin.

What do you do about the guest who has paid money for those features because they booked a suite and that same guest happens to have 500 days on HAL?

They can't priority board twice. :D

They will be getting less for their money if that becomes a 'gimme' and if many more people are getting priority boarding., it becomes far less priority. ;)

Nope. :) Never said that. Just said that anything more they add as 'gimmies' will cost us more. There is nothing for free.

These things currently exist and may or may not continue. Who knows? I am generally of the thinking no more is necessary or (for us) particularly sought after. JMHO......

Many cruise lines reward loyal pax with many, though not all, of the same amenities afforded suite pax - all you have to do is check some of the competition's loyalty programs against suite amenities to confirm that. As for 'the guest who has paid money for those features because they booked a suite and that same guest happens to have 500 days on HAL," I guess that falls into the category of "As Long As You're Getting Everything to Which You Are Entitled, What More Do You Want?" Suite pax do not get less for their money when other pax are being rewarded for their loyalty with some of the same perx. Suite pax continue to get exactly what they pay for, minus the much sought after exclusivity perhaps, but everything nonetheless.

For many cruise lines (and I imagine HAL is one of them) a non-suite pax who returns time after time after time is just as valued a customer as someone who books a suite. I expect that's a difficult pill for some suite pax to swallow, considering how impressed they are with what they perceive to be their own exclusive status.

We've cruised just shy of fifty times but only twice on HAL (Statendam and Westerdam), and are considering booking Eurodam for later this year. I was surprised to learn from my travel agent that unlike other cruise lines which offer specific benefits to members of their loyalty programs, HAL does not - no discount on cabins, no upgrades, no book-an-outside/get-a-balcony, etc. I'm also told that HAL never offers senior rates and rarely offers regional rates. According to my TA, Mariner pricing applies only to specific cruises chosen by HAL and noted in the Mariner booklet received by members several times a year - return passenger or not, everyone pays the same cruise fare. In fact, the TA said that despite (or perhaps because) HAL has some of the most loyal pax in the industry, their loyalty program is one of the worst.

Have I been given correct information? Is it impossible to pay a discounted fare for a HAL cruise? Other than receiving a pin and a private party, just what are the benefits to being a Mariner member and exactly how does HAL reward loyalty?

Thanks.

Having done over 330 days now in HAL, there are hidden perks, but they are hidden....;) Rgds

For many cruise lines (and I imagine HAL is one of them) a non-suite pax who returns time after time after time is just as valued a customer as someone who books a suite. I expect that's a difficult pill for some suite pax to swallow, considering how impressed they are with what they perceive to be their own exclusive status.

It seems you just don't understand the point many are trying to explain to you...

Lets say you've sailed HAL as a non-suite passenger and have just reached the required days to receive loyalty rewards (which happen to be similar to those automatically afforded to suite passengers) and decide to book a suite for, say, a special occasion. What good are those long anticipated perks to you for that cruise? You're not getting them as a loyalty reward anymore. You're suddenly paying a pretty penny for the exact same things with your decision to book a suite. How would you feel about that?

Offering suite amenities as loyalty rewards just isn't "fair" to suite passengers, and your assumptions regarding them is condescending and presumptive.

What good are those long anticipated perks to you for that cruise? You're not getting them as a loyalty reward anymore. You're suddenly paying a pretty penny for the exact same things with your decision to book a suite. How would you feel about that?

I'm not sure I see your point.:confused::confused:

How would you feel about your decision to book a suite? Would you be upset if you didn't get your suite benefits in a veranda room which you paid $2,000pp less for?

Besides, Holland America does not offer suite benefits as part of their Mariner Program. Which cruise line are you talking about?

You'd have to check eBay to see what value current Mariners place on their 'Loyalty Rewards'... ;) Strictly sentimental value for the most part. :D

Pretty clear that OP has an agenda and nothing we say is going to change that. So why waste our time.

Do feel the need to say that I have cruised w/ Sail and she is a gracious, outgoing lady and puts on no airs... not at all the type to feel self important over her CHOICE of accommodations.. that crack about suite passengers was totally uncalled for .. surely you were raised better

HA has many fans (some would call them cheerleaders on this forum) that choose to primarily cruise with HA (many will not go on any other line). But, there is an increasing group of cruisers (this would be me) that love to cruise and do so on many different cruise lines (we have been on 11 lines). The Mariner program is among the worst in the industry! This does matter to some. For us, we will generally grab a Princess (we are Elite), RCI (Diamond status), Celebrity, etc where we get some great amenities. On Princess, we get free laundry/dry cleaning, free mini-bar set-up, priority tendering, hundreds of free internet minutes, etc. On RCI we get access to concierge lounge (even by booking the cheapest cabins) and get several hours of free cocktails every day as wel as discounts, upgrades, etc. On HA, we get a silly tin button that is so ugly its hard to imagine ever wearing the thing (even the old Orient Line gave out a nice looking pin with a fake diamond). Before anyone flames me, keep in mind that we do like HA (am on a 26 day HA cruise next month) but tend to only book HA when its cheap (our upcoming cruise was a steal) and does a great itinerary. All things being equal, we would tend to pick Princess or RCI..partially for the amenities. Listen folks, it is a good marketing tool and it does matter. For those that want to boast that HA is a very old cruise line...keep in mind that it was bought-out by little ole Carnival Cruise Lines....who built its success on good marketing. Many of HA's biggest fans are seniors (and the seniors parents) who are loyal, but the generations coming behind will look for more than a tin button.

Hank

Archived