Mariner Society questions

lysolqn

We've cruised just shy of fifty times but only twice on HAL (Statendam and Westerdam), and are considering booking Eurodam for later this year. I was surprised to learn from my travel agent that unlike other cruise lines which offer specific benefits to members of their loyalty programs, HAL does not - no discount on cabins, no upgrades, no book-an-outside/get-a-balcony, etc. I'm also told that HAL never offers senior rates and rarely offers regional rates. According to my TA, Mariner pricing applies only to specific cruises chosen by HAL and noted in the Mariner booklet received by members several times a year - return passenger or not, everyone pays the same cruise fare. In fact, the TA said that despite (or perhaps because) HAL has some of the most loyal pax in the industry, their loyalty program is one of the worst.

Have I been given correct information? Is it impossible to pay a discounted fare for a HAL cruise? Other than receiving a pin and a private party, just what are the benefits to being a Mariner member and exactly how does HAL reward loyalty?

Thanks.

I'd say your information is essentially correct. The HAL Mariner program is virtually worthless unless you consider lunch with 3/4th of the passengers on your cruise, or the receipt of a 3 1/2" square tile, left in your stateroom, perks.

Don't get me wrong. We love cruising with HAL and come back repeatedly, but certainly not because of the Mariner Program.

IMO, others will surely disagree

We've cruised just shy of fifty times but only twice on HAL (Statendam and Westerdam), and are considering booking Eurodam for later this year. I was surprised to learn from my travel agent that unlike other cruise lines which offer specific benefits to members of their loyalty programs, HAL does not - no discount on cabins, no upgrades, no book-an-outside/get-a-balcony, etc. I'm also told that HAL never offers senior rates and rarely offers regional rates. According to my TA, Mariner pricing applies only to specific cruises chosen by HAL and noted in the Mariner booklet received by members several times a year - return passenger or not, everyone pays the same cruise fare. In fact, the TA said that despite (or perhaps because) HAL has some of the most loyal pax in the industry, their loyalty program is one of the worst.

Have I been given correct information? Is it impossible to pay a discounted fare for a HAL cruise? Other than receiving a pin and a private party, just what are the benefits to being a Mariner member and exactly how does HAL reward loyalty?

Thanks.

Unlike Royal Caribbean, or Carnival passengers, many of HAL's Mariners would be considered seniors, therefore offering senior rates wouldn't be a wise decision from a business perspective. There are from time to time specials discounted rates, which can only be booked if you are a mariner.

Yes their loyalty program isn't the best, but it doesn't need to be because their mariners are very loyal and therefore HAL doesn't need to invest a lot of resources/money into it's program.

Thanks...glad to know the info I have is reliable. Past performance aside, one would think that given the present economic climate and the cruise industry's ever-growing need to fill an increasing number of berths, HAL would jump on the "cruise deals" bandwagon as has just about every other cruise line whether bargain, mainstream or luxury. Why bother with a loyalty program if it offers virtually nothing in exchange for loyalty? Curious, to say the least.

on most cruises on HAL, 60-70% of the pax are mariners. The fact is that despite cutbacks over the past few years, the bulk of us who sail HAL are very loyal and enjoy the HAL experience. Most of the 7 HAL sailings we've been on have been sold out. That being the case, why would HAL want to discount?

You can get somewhat better deals than those offered on the HAL website by looking into online TAs but even their pricing is the same for a newbie or someone w/ a dozen cruises under their belt.

You can get the best pricing on HAL's Vista class ships, but those of us who have sailed w/ HAL a bit tend to prefer the R or S class ships.

The best way to pay a discounted fare on HAL is book through a TA that offers them! :)

Since last Sept or so there have been whispers swirling of a new Mariner rewards program. At first it was said that implementation would be "Dec", and the date has slipped a couple of times since then. Currently the rumor is Apr, I believe. We're all waiting to hear the announcement of what it will be like ... and how much credit will be given for past loyalty! :):)

HAL must be doing something right with a loyalty program that offers not much more than a pin and a way-to-go slap on the back. It's interesting, though, that the line has been able to maintain a loyalty program that doesn't reward loyalty, especially when just about every entity in the travel/hospitality industry is doing more and more to maintain its loyal customer base.

Let's give HAL a little credit.

They've been in business over 140 ? years.

You think they know how to run a cruise line.

I doubt any of us think they want to go out of business and have no intention of letting that happen. They will do whatever marketing is required to keep Mariners returning to the ships. If they think they need to start offering us some 'gimme', they will. If they don't do that, I will think they don't feel the need.

Will they lower prices? Yes, of course. They do that now and always have for cruises that aren't selling well.

Two cruises we booked about a year ago (Canada/New England) have risen in price. There is demand for that itinerary. I went searching for a price break and found we had a 'bargain'. :)

HAL gives us the vacation we want at a fair price and treats us very well. Because of that, we keep coming back. I am rewarded for my loyalty every time I get on another HAL ship to begin another wonderful, unforgettable experience.

HAL gives us the vacation we want at a fair price and treats us very well. Because of that, we keep coming back. I am rewarded for my loyalty every time I get on another HAL ship to begin another wonderful, unforgettable experience.

Thanks, Iris.

You said it all.

That is how we feel.

I think everybody that has commented has said it as I would have said -"our loyalty to HAL is because"....Another cruiseline that we cruised years ago bumped us up with a 5 category upgrade as a "surprise" and we were thrilled and pleased; We STILL were thankful, even as we found that this wonderful upgrade was a cabin RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the original cabin -NO difference except in THEIR marketing. We thought it was simply funny [We were NOT "offended" -no NEED to be. But HAL doesn't play that game; and in fact they play very FEW games with "my" money.] What we get is fulfilling our needs, our joy [ Asia and Australia and World...."Grand" cruises mostly] With their EXCEPTIONAL crews we feel as if THEY are "Loyal" to us as well. So we'll keep coming back also......

Anne

And that's a problem because...?

I never said it was a problem; I was simply trying to verify information I was given.

It appears, however, that the Mariner Society is in fact one of the only loyalty programs in the travel/hospitality industry that offers few, if any, perx to its members, and pretty much everyone who has posted here agrees with that. That's not a problem at all, just an observation. No need to get defensive.

There is no such thing as free.

The cost of any and everything is built in somewhere.

In these times, none of us want higher fares.....do we?

This is a 'for profit' business and I for one hope it thrives. I want for us to have the opportunity to sail for many more years on the HAL ships we love with the HAL crews that IMO have no equal.

I'm glad you asked, lysolqn, about what you see as a weak loyalty program. Here's my take on it for what it's worth:rolleyes:

The way I am treated every time I sail with HAL keeps me coming back. The gracious and kind crew and the beautiful and elegant surroundings ARE my loyalty program.

Should I care if the pax next door pay more, less, or the same as I do? Umm, nope, I am just not wired that way.

I enjoy the longer itineraries which are populated almost exclusively with long time Mariners. If you asked most of us, I suspect you'd find we are just there because we want to be. I don't need shiny objects and lures.

I'm glad you asked, lysolqn, about what you see as a weak loyalty program. Here's my take on it for what it's worth:rolleyes:

The way I am treated every time I sail with HAL keeps me coming back. The gracious and kind crew and the beautiful and elegant surroundings ARE my loyalty program.

Should I care if the pax next door pay more, less, or the same as I do? Umm, nope, I am just not wired that way.

I enjoy the longer itineraries which are populated almost exclusively with long time Mariners. If you asked most of us, I suspect you'd find we are just there because we want to be. I don't need shiny objects and lures.

Actually, I never asked why you (or any other loyal HAL cruiser) return time after time but I'm glad you responded!

My initial inquiry was to determine the accuracy of information I was given and was not in any way a criticism of either HAL or the Mariner program. It's clear HAL enjoys a loyal following (the absence of "shiny objects and lures" notwithstanding) for the many fine reasons posted in this thread, and if DH and I didn't enjoy the two HAL cruises we've already taken, we certainly wouldn't be considering another.

The fact is that many of the cruise lines that choose to give back to their loyal pax through loyalty perx also treat those pax well, also have ships that are staffed with a gracious and kind crew, also offer equally beautiful and elegant surroundings and also offer great itineraries. Without a doubt HAL is the line of choice for many but it doesn't have a monopoly on offering an excellent cruise product. Even though HAL does not do so, there is no crime in rewarding loyalty above and beyond providing the aforementioned; it does not make cruise lines that do so or the pax who are loyal to them, any less worthy than HAL and/or its loyal following.

I agree. It would be nice if HAL added some substance to its Mariners program. However, I personally would rather they make every effort to keep real value in their cruise experience.

Giving the best cruise they can give for the amount charged, and keeping that amount as low as is reasonable, is most important to me.....not some special favor for repeat sailings with them.

...... it does not make cruise lines that do so or the pax who are loyal to them, any less worthy than HAL and/or its loyal following.

But it does cost money. It isn't free, we can be sure. Whatever they are 'giving', they are pricing when quoting the amount of the fare. I prefer to not get those sort of things picked for me and charged to me.

I don't want the free glass or champagne, I definitely don't want anything from the spa or salon, forget drink card........

Just provide me with the outstanding cruise experience we have come to count on from HAL.

I really don't want the 'gmmie's.'

But it does cost money. It isn't free, we can be sure. Whatever they are 'giving', they are pricing when quoting the amount of the fare. I prefer to not get those sort of things picked for me and charged to me.

I don't want the free glass or champagne, I definitely don't want anything from the spa or salon, forget drink card........

Just provide me with the outstanding cruise experience we have come to count on from HAL.

I really don't want the 'gmmie's.'

While this was never intended to be a thread about loyalty perx, I would like to address a few recurring responses in this thread.

Firstly, not all loyalty perx have a dollar value; in fact, most do not. Priority embarkation/debarkation, priorty dining assignment requests, priority shore excursion availability (to name but a few) cost the cruise line $0. Even cabin upgrades cost nothing when someone is moved to a higher cabin which would otherwise remain empty during a particular cruise.

Secondly, whether or not you are a member of the Mariner Sociey, if you cruise with HAL you are already paying for the "gmmie's," "shiny objects and lures," "surprises" and "freebies" so many in this thread disparage. Those lapel pins, porcelain tiles and Mariner member luncheons/teas cost HAL money and aren't really free at all, are they? Your preference "not get those sort of things picked for me and charged to me" is, in fact, already being factored into your cruise fare. Thus, HAL's choice of perx may differ from loyalty perx offered by other lines but HAL pax are paying for them just like other lines' pax are paying for theirs.

Thirdly, some folks in this thread seem to believe that loyalty perx offered by other cruise lines come at the expense of being treated well, a fair price, a gracious and kind crew, beautiful and elegant surroundings, great itineraries, real value in a cruise and/or a wonderful cruise experience. That is not the case. Many cruise lines offer loyalty perx in addition to doing a fine job in providing all the important things loyal HAL cruisers rightly demand. They may not be your cruise lines of choice but you can still give credit where credit is due.

Finally, it is not in any way disloyal for even the greatest HAL cheerleader to admit that HAL's loyalty program falls short of loyalty programs offered by other cruise lines. It is likewise unnecessary to defend that shortfall by trying to rationalize it away.

While this was never intended to be a thread about loyalty perx, I would like to address a few recurring responses in this thread.

Firstly, not all loyalty perx have a dollar value; in fact, most do not. Priority embarkation/debarkation, priorty dining assignment requests, priority shore excursion availability (to name but a few) cost the cruise line $0. Even cabin upgrades cost nothing when someone is moved to a higher cabin which would otherwise remain empty during a particular cruise.

Actually, things such as priority embark/debark; priority dining assignment requests and priority tender boarding do have dollar $$ price. That price is paid by guests who book Suites. These items are part of the amenities included in the price of their cruise. If they were to be given as Mariner perks, what would you do about the Suite guest who paid for those things in their fare and also happen to have 500 days with HAL? Have them embark twice? Board the tender twice? :D

Secondly, whether or not you are a member of the Mariner Sociey, if you cruise with HAL you are already paying for the "gmmie's," "shiny objects and lures," "surprises" and "freebies" so many in this thread disparage. Those lapel pins, porcelain tiles and Mariner member luncheons/teas cost HAL money and aren't really free at all, are they? Your preference "not get those sort of things picked for me and charged to me" is, in fact, already being factored into your cruise fare. Thus, HAL's choice of perx may differ from loyalty perx offered by other lines but HAL pax are paying for them just like other lines' pax are paying for theirs.

If you request they add more 'gimmies', the cost will increase. The more they GIVE, the more we pay.

Thirdly, some folks in this thread seem to believe that loyalty perx offered by other cruise lines come at the expense of being treated well, a fair price, a gracious and kind crew, beautiful and elegant surroundings, great itineraries, real value in a cruise and/or a wonderful cruise experience. That is not the case. Many cruise lines offer loyalty perx in addition to doing a fine job in providing all the important things loyal HAL cruisers rightly demand. They may not be your cruise lines of choice but you can still give credit where credit is due.

I am sure many feel that way and for many it is reality. In our personal experience, we have never encountered the kind of crews we always enjoy on HAL ships. We've had about 5 cruises on Princess, about 5 or 6 on Celebrity, one on RCI (that was enough for us - not to our liking) and one cruise (sort of) on Carnival....but that is a long story I have told here in the past. :)

Finally, it is not in any way disloyal for even the greatest HAL cheerleader to admit that HAL's loyalty program falls short of loyalty programs offered by other cruise lines. It is likewise unnecessary to defend that shortfall by trying to rationalize it away.

My expressions and opinion of Mariners program have nothing to do with appearing loyal. I am a through and through cheerleader because I think it is just fine the way it is. I understand others may not and that couldn't be more fine. In my view, there is no 'free' on any ship and I don't want to pay for the sort of 'free' things arbitrarily chosen to be something I want as a 'gimmie'. I don't need or want almost any of the things other lines offer to lure their past cruisers back.

I want what HAL offers. Gorgeous ships (to my eyes and taste) and fabulous crews (that are the finest on the high seas - in my opinion.). :)

Actually, things such as priority embark/debark; priority dining assignment requests and priority tender boarding do have dollar $$ price. That price is paid by guests who book Suites. These items are part of the amenities included in the price of their cruise. If they were to be given as Mariner perks, what would you do about the Suite guest who paid for those things in their fare and also happen to have 500 days with HAL? Have them embark twice? Board the tender twice? :D

Many cruiselines offer the aforementioned as both loyalty perx and suite perx. Contrary to what some suite pax may believe, not all perx offered to them are exclusive.

If you request they add more 'gimmies', the cost will increase. The more they GIVE, the more we pay.

So you're not opposed to the 'gimmies' HAL has chosen for you and for which you already pay, just to ones offered by other cruise lines?

I am sure many feel that way and for many it is reality. In our personal experience, we have never encountered the kind of crews we always enjoy on HAL ships. We've had about 5 cruises on Princess, about 5 or 6 on Celebrity, one on RCI (that was enough for us - not to our liking) and one cruise (sort of) on Carnival....but that is a long story I have told here in the past. :)

Thank you for acknowledging that HAL doesn't have a lock on happy pax.

My expressions and opinion of Mariners program have nothing to do with appearing loyal. I am a through and through cheerleader because I think it is just fine the way it is. I understand others may not and that couldn't be more fine. In my view, there is no 'free' on any ship and I don't want to pay for the sort of 'free' things arbitrarily chosen to be something I want as a 'gimmie'. I don't need or want almost any of the things other lines offer to lure their past cruisers back.

I want what HAL offers. Gorgeous ships (to my eyes and taste) and fabulous crews (that are the finest on the high seas - in my opinion.). :)

So the lapel pins, porcelain tiles and Mariner lunches/teas chosen by HAL on your behalf are not 'the sort of 'free' things arbitrarily chosen to be something [you] want as a 'gimmie?'"

HAL is lucky to have you as a loyal pax, crummy Mariner program or otherwise.

I'm with Sail.... the old "ain't no such thing as a free lunch" way of thinking has proven to be true over the years. As I said in one of my previous posts, with 60-70% of the pax being Mariners on any given sailing, there is little that you could do in the way of priority boarding etc that would prove workable.

I don't think that many of us have taken shots at other loyalty programs, we have just affirmed your view that HAL's program offers little or nothing in the way of perks and that is ok with the bulk of us who keep coming back to HAL.

IMHO if they want to do something to show their appreciation to past customers, reverse some of the staffing and program cuts that they've implemented over the last 10 years. But that costs money. I've said before that I'd be willing to pay more in fare to get those things back, but many would not.

If a crummy loyalty program is a deal breaker for you, then there are many other options out there for you

I'm not really a cheerleader for any cruiseline, I have 1 cruise on Carnival, 1 cruise on NCL, 1 cruise on RCCL, 1 cruise on Celebrity, 1 cruise on Princess and 2 cruises on HAL.

HAL must be doing something right, their ships are sailing full, people keep going back (myself included, it's the only one I've repeated). I don't even worry about any loyalty programs that are offered (airlines, hotels, cruiselines) I could care less.

Give me a good product, in great surroundings, at a price I'm happy with, and I will continue to sail that cruiseline. And that seems to be HAL's policy or they wouldn't have such a loyal following.

If the other cruiselines have to entice people to sail with them, and offer other perks, maybe they aren't providing the same quality cruise that HAL offers.

JMHO of course.:rolleyes:

If a crummy loyalty program is a deal breaker for you, then there are many other options out there for you

If a cummy loyalty program were a deal breaker for us, we wouldn't be considering booking a third cruise on HAL - so clearly it's not. Frankly, I can't imagine that many people choose a cruise based solely on a line's loyalty program - an airline, yes but a cruise line, no. Other than an upgrade here and there (a valued 'thank you for your loyalty' perk), most cruise line loyalty programs are little more than window dressing. HAL's windows just appear to be dressed down a bit more than the others. An observation, not a criticism.

Archived