What upgrades did I actually get???

giginevelyn

In January, I booked the Eurodam as a Guarantee VH and Guarantee N(Inside). I was just assigned a Balcony "VB" and an Inside "K" (on deck 6 - both directly across the hall from each other). My TA said they were "excellent free upgrades." Can someone explain what the upgrades actually are?

Thanks!

In January, I booked the Eurodam as a Guarantee VH and Guarantee N(Inside). I was just assigned a Balcony "VB" and an Inside "K" (on deck 6 - both directly across the hall from each other). My TA said they were "excellent free upgrades." Can someone explain what the upgrades actually are?

Thanks!

You got higher-priced cabins than you paid for!

In the case of the VH to VB move, you got away from a cabin with just a shower (no tub), has a steel-walled railing (instead of plexiglas) that won't let you see anything but sky when seated, is at the very bounciest place on the ship, and is right above the show lounge with shows that run late on most nights. The VH verandahs are also smaller.

In the case N to K, the location is better and the cabin is larger.

I agree with your TA. :)

Cool! I was just happy that our cabins were directly across the hall from each other (which I wasn't expecting at all), and on a deck with only staterooms above and below. I've never booked as a 'Guarantee' or 'Run of the Ship' before, and was nervous about it. At the time it seemed like the best option as we booked fairly late and the ship was very full already. My TA said that more often than not people are pleasantly surprised to receive a nice upgrade. Luckily, he was right. Thanks for the information Carol! Our first time with HAl and loving them already!

My TA said that more often than not people are pleasantly surprised to receive a nice upgrade. Luckily, he was right. Thanks for the information Carol! Our first time with HAl and loving them already!
We've gotten upgrades on all seven of our guarantees, and only once were we somewhat unhappy with the location.

The VHs are always over-sold as guarantees since they are the cheapest, and with only four of them on the ship most people booking them as a guarantee don't end up there. (It may even happen that no people booking them stay there, but rather they are given to people who book OV or Inside guarantees.) However, to say that "more often than not people ... receive a nice upgrade" may be stretching it a bit. I believe we have just been very lucky.

I think you'll love HAL! :)

I'm still waiting to find out where we'll be in two weeks on the Westerdam. We also booked a VH guarantee. Going to any balcony after our last cruise's inside cabin is going to be a big upgrade for us.

I don't think I'll mind if we do end up in one of the four VH cabins. I actually like feeling motion on a cruise. We had a great inside cabin on the Sun Princess that was as far forward as possible. It we great when the ship hit swells.

And we have second seating for dinner and will be going to any shows that are going on after dinner.

Archived