Panama Canal

I don't think it makes much different, as the weather doesn't change much at that latitude. Maybe it's a little warmer in the fall.

We liked our Spring weather just fine. We told at our stops in Costa Rica and southern Mexico (Puerto Chiapas and Huatulco) that Jan was their rainy season, so you don't have to worry about that either way.

Personally I think the spring is better because you will not be in hurricane season. I went once in April and the weather was awesome. I was fortunate on my last cruise (Nov.10 - Dec.6/08) to go through the canal twice. On the first go around the weather was mainly cloudy and it started raining in the afternoon. The second time through the canal it was just brutal. It poured the entire day. Apparently they had a state of emergency there and it had been raining for a week solid.

What did you do in Puerto Chiapas?
Virtually nothing! That was a "relax" day for us. We watched some dancers, browsed some shops, had a drink in bar right near the dock, used an internet cafe, and went back on the ship before lunch. :)

Growing up in Florida, we have opted to always make Caribbean and Canal ventures in the spring or earlier as hurricanes are just not fun.

harry

That is usually my plan to stay away from the Caribbean between June and December but it hasn't turned out that way lately.

We've done the partial transit in March, first of April and the weather was great. The water at Half Moon Cay was a little cold for me but my husband enjoyed some snorkeling. Aruba and Curacao was very warm and pleasant. It drizzled in the early morning hours as we approached the canal locks, but it was a warm drizzle and didn't last long. Our excursion in Panama was down right HOT. :rolleyes: We did the Canal Experience that takes you thru the other set of locks and it was hot, hot, hot. I will say the seas were very choppy the whole trip, but that was ok, I had Bonine. ;)

We did a fall transit in 2001 and enjoyed it although we did have rainy drizzle almost all morning. We are doing a spring transit in April this year on the Zuiderdam and hopefully it will be drier this time.

We are always looking for more people to join our roll call. See the link below.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived