Sticker shock for Bermuda!

warmwinds

I just got off the phone with Celebrity Captain's Club, put a hold on a reservation for July 2010 for Bermuda...BUT...exact same cabin we were just in on the Summit (aft CC) - for more than TWICE the price! Fare including taxes for two people - $4,274.60!!!! For a ONE WEEK cruise!

I booked a cruise on Celebrity for next March for what I thought was a huge amount and I have been watching the price go up up up. I'm actually beginning to think I got a good deal, but I wonder what happened to all those supposedly Great prices..not so far on Celebrity. I'm planning a second cruise next year and so far for the great prices my TA is bringing are all Carnival which I would really rather not cruise...been there..done that...don't think I want to cruise Carnival again...but the prices are very good for them.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity Captain's Club, put a hold on a reservation for July 2010 for Bermuda...BUT...exact same cabin we were just in on the Summit (aft CC) - for more than TWICE the price! Fare including taxes for two people - $4,274.60!!!! For a ONE WEEK cruise!

Back in 2004 we paid $3,200 for one week to Bermuda on Zenith CC Class The summer is HIGH season and very expensive to go to Bermuda.

Hi Warmwinds !

Each year, we see posts like yours. Of course, I understand the sticker shock, but it is not hopeless. Apparantly, Celebrity likes to start the pricing high, and see where demand takes it. I cant say that I blame them. If the economy stays weak, pricing may decline over time. Fortunately, RCI & Celebrity are great about honoring price drops, though you do have to watch pricing carefully.

My advice ? I would make the booking, get the cabin you want, and not worry about today's price for now.

Hi Warmwinds !

Each year, we see posts like yours. Of course, I understand the sticker shock, but it is not hopeless. Apparantly, Celebrity likes to start the pricing high, and see where demand takes it. I cant say that I blame them. If the economy stays weak, pricing may decline over time. Fortunately, RCI & Celebrity are great about honoring price drops, though you do have to watch pricing carefully.

My advice ? I would make the booking, get the cabin you want, and not worry about today's price for now.

Or, check the pricing with HAL, who commences one week cruises from New York to Bermuda in Spring, 2010!

And do not forget, that with HAL, one is able to bring onboard UNLIMITED wine & champagne on embarkation, (as well as at each port of call)!!!

We've been to Bermuda several times when we lived on the East Coast, and my husband suggested I price out a week in a hotel there and all meals...he said it probably won't look so bad after that. Plus airfare will be cheaper there than directly to Bermuda, too.

I've got 16 months to think about it...will put the deposit down.

Or, check the pricing with HAL, who commences one week cruises from New York to Bermuda in Spring, 2010!

And do not forget, that with HAL, one is able to bring onboard UNLIMITED wine & champagne on embarkation, (as well as at each port of call)!!!

Yeah, but the T-pool is free on the Summit. The wine is a nice perk on HAL, but not enough to make me switch. Celebrity ROCKS!

We booked a CC midships for early Sept...--not quite so pricey but high enough! I guess there's more hurricane risk in sept.but fewer children off from school that week

We have wanted this itin & ship so for us it made sense.. a reg balcony was about $300 less--hoping the CC cabins come down in price along the way..

My wife and I are checking into going back to Bermuda next year. We already took a cruise with NCL and RCCL and decided those cruise lines were not for us. Then we checked into the much ballyhooed return of Holland America. Then I heard that Celebrity Cruise Line is sending the Summit to beautiful Bayonne, NJ to do the Bermuda run. We have sailed several times with Celebrity and it looks like we will cruise with them to Bermuda. Celebrity gives a good cruise. It is a premuim cruise line and won't be cheap. However, they are one of our favorite lines.

Bermuda has it's own season for cruising and it is expensive. That is the price you pay for going to Bermuda. Keep in mind that Celebrity gives a really good cruise. I imagine Alaska is the same thing.

Remember, prices tend to change on cruise lines if a sailing becomes popular or unpopular. My take on it is book it. If the price comes down then you get the accommaditions you wanted and you are going where you want to go. If it becomes popular and the prices rise then you may be getting a discount.

the only thing I'm not thrilled with about Celebrity's Bermuda itinerary is that it has 2 sea days in the beginning (a la NCL). With HAL only one sea day and then you're in Bermuda (a la Zenith/Horizon).

Guest LoveMyBoxer

WOW! We booked the Veendam in August 2010 for three of us a full suite is $5100. The Veendam will also be stopping in St. Georges and Hamilton. Having sailed Celebrity in the past, HAL is on par with Celebrity. We prefer more days in Bermuda. Cruises from NY to Bermuda are always pricey, but compared to flying and staying on the Island, it's a bargain.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
LoveMyBoxer that is a great price! I just quick checked the HAL website and suites in August are starting at $2,899 pp - so did you go through a discounter to get your rate?

Yes through a discounter, HAL is always a lot more. The prices through the discounter have already gone up since we booked the day it was announced that HAL was returning to NY. P.S. I just checked and there are a lot of cabins already booked for 2010. Bermuda from NY is very popular and usually sells out fast, especially the good cabins If you are looking for a bargain, then NY to Bermuda in the Summer is not a good way to go. The best prices we have gotten in the past is usually around September/October.

the only thing I'm not thrilled with about Celebrity's Bermuda itinerary is that it has 2 sea days in the beginning (a la NCL). With HAL only one sea day and then you're in Bermuda (a la Zenith/Horizon).

And at the Dockyard with another Vessel. The 5/2/10 Summit voyage throws in Newport, RI, and only 2 days in BDA.

I've calmed down since yesterday, LOL, and I really don't care about the expense. I was just shocked because we got off the Summit a week ago, same cabin (EXACT cabin, not just type), same ship, same number of days and it was half the price.

We're happy with what we have.

But I thought today was the day you could book on their website for Bermuda and I still don't see anything there.

I've calmed down since yesterday, LOL, and I really don't care about the expense. I was just shocked because we got off the Summit a week ago, same cabin (EXACT cabin, not just type), same ship, same number of days and it was half the price.

But I thought today was the day you could book on their website for Bermuda and I still don't see anything there.

Prices and Itin's should be on the website by this weekend. :)

Just went to Celebrity website and their itineraries and prices are listed.

I compared starting prices of Celebrity to Holland America using both websites.

I picked the same sailing date to give a fair comparison... July 25, 2010...

INSIDE:

Celebrity - 1299

HAL - 1049

OCEANVIEW:

Celebrity - 1499

HAL - 1199

BALCONY:

Celebrity - 1819

HAL - 1999

SUITE :

Celebrity - 2949

HAL - 2999

You forgot Concierge Class. It's $2,009 pp - that's only $30pp more than the next veranda category (I believe you just listed the LEAST expensive one). I just looked at the website and I'm surpised how many categories are already sold out, plus the guarantees are gone. Boy am I glad I grabbed our aft yesterday.

Comparing prices on cruises departing the winter vs the summer is like comparing apples and oranges. It's all supply and demand. Look at how many ships are in the Caribbean during the winter. The more ships in one location the lower the prices. If you go and look at pricing for the Oasis of the Seas for July 2010, a top level balcony cabin is going for $4298 for 2 people.

Comparing prices from San Juan and Bayonne once again is two completely different questions. The number of people who can drive to the port and the number of cheap flights in the the New York area as well as how long it takes to get there make a huge difference.

Once again prices in July are going to be different than August or other months based on the numbers of families with kids returning to school early. July is one of the highest

You forgot Concierge Class. It's $2,009 pp - that's only $30pp more than the next veranda category (I believe you just listed the LEAST expensive one). .

as I mentioned in my original post... yes, the comparisons were the STARTING prices for each category... and I picked a comparative date... JULY 25, 2010 .... PEAK season for Bermuda.

Archived