Entrance into the Vatican

The Vatican is a city and country with multiple sites within it, there are different types of tickets so it helps to specify which areas you want to see. The site from the previous poster does let you reserve a time slot for the Vatican Museums which leads you to the Sistine Chapel. You will need to wait until you are within 60 days of your visit to make your reservation. Some people prefer a guided tour of the museums, some people get through the museum as quickly as they can to get to the Sistine Chapel and others prefer to do the museums at their own pace. If you want a tour of the museums, you can arrange one directly with the Vatican or use one of the many tour companies. St. Peter's Basilica does not require tickets, but the climbing of the dome does require tickets, as of now there is no way to reserve them, if there is a line you will need to wait. If you are talking about getting tickets for a papal audience on a Wednesday, then you will also need to wait until they publish the Pope's schedule for September and the Santa Susanna web site is where you arrange for those tickets. There is also the Scavi tour which you have to pre-reserve and pre-pay for from the Vatican web site. This is the necropolis area under the Basilica and ends in the papal tomb area below the Basilica. Groups can also reseve tours of the Vatican Gardens, I have heard it is very worthwhile but have not personally done that.

If you get tickets through the Vatican web site 2 months prior to the date of your arrival, do you have to specify times you want to go? Will you still have to line up to get in? If you are on a tour, do you get in quicker?

When you reserve an entry time for the Vatican Museums, you specify the time you want. The system is only about 6 months old now, but those who have used it reported that they walked up past the line to the door and were then directed on where to go. You still need to go through security and wait in the line to buy your ticket once you are in the door but you bypass the outside line.

If you book a tour through the Vatican, you will not have to wait in the long line to get tickets.

Some private guides advertise tours that "skip the line". Be aware that there are only a few agencies that can legitimately offer this. Others promise that you can skip the line, but what they mean is that they will have someone stand in line for you and will coordinate with your guide as the line moves. This can free you up to see St. Peters in the meantime if the line is long. (But whether you want to pay their higher prices for this service is up to you....)

Finally, if you do decide to brave the line, be aware that it is generally shorter in the early afternoon than in the morning. Waits of 2+ hours have been posted for peak times during high tourist season.

I booked entrance to the Vatican Museums, and I printed out my ticket at home. I imagine the line guard will scan the bar code once I get there. I do not know what will happen if I am late though.

Thank you for posting this wonderful information.:)

The Vatican is a city and country with multiple sites within it, there are different types of tickets so it helps to specify which areas you want to see. The site from the previous poster does let you reserve a time slot for the Vatican Museums which leads you to the Sistine Chapel. You will need to wait until you are within 60 days of your visit to make your reservation. Some people prefer a guided tour of the museums, some people get through the museum as quickly as they can to get to the Sistine Chapel and others prefer to do the museums at their own pace. If you want a tour of the museums, you can arrange one directly with the Vatican or use one of the many tour companies. St. Peter's Basilica does not require tickets, but the climbing of the dome does require tickets, as of now there is no way to reserve them, if there is a line you will need to wait. If you are talking about getting tickets for a papal audience on a Wednesday, then you will also need to wait until they publish the Pope's schedule for September and the Santa Susanna web site is where you arrange for those tickets. There is also the Scavi tour which you have to pre-reserve and pre-pay for from the Vatican web site. This is the necropolis area under the Basilica and ends in the papal tomb area below the Basilica. Groups can also reseve tours of the Vatican Gardens, I have heard it is very worthwhile but have not personally done that.

Great information, thanks so much.

Marilee

If you book a tour through the Vatican, you will not have to wait in the long line to get tickets.

I've looked at the Vatican website for the actual tour tickets, and only see a listing for 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM...do you know if they have a 12:00 in english???

I've looked at the Vatican website for the actual tour tickets, and only see a listing for 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM...do you know if they have a 12:00 in english???

When we visited, the midday tour was in Italian. We had requested that time, but also requested an English tour. They gave us the time we asked for, but I guess they didn't notice the language.

It worked out OK in that we got to skip the line and only paid the basic admission, but we didn't get a tour. Anyway, I would bet that time is still non-English.

The Vatican switches around the tour times depending on the time of year, crowds, etc.

They will give you whatever options are available (and not booked). I'm guessing the 12:00 is either not in English or maybe already full.

The Vatican switches around the tour times depending on the time of year, crowds, etc.

They will give you whatever options are available (and not booked). I'm guessing the 12:00 is either not in English or maybe already full.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking a 12:00 is not available...so I think I'll just buy the tickets online through the Vatican and do the museum on our own. We have Scavi tickets for 9:15 that day...so 10:00 or 14:00 won't work!! icon8.gif

14:00 would work. Finsh the Scavi tour around 11:45, then go to the Basilica which can easily take an hour or so, grab a bite for lunch on the way to a 14:00 tour reservation.

I thought the Scavi tour only took 1-1/2 hours...so that would get us out at 10:45...then one hour in the Basilica...which is why I thought a 12:00 tour would be perfect. Maybe I'm off on the times???!!

Just a thought, Tomkat, but you MAY want to consider the elevator ride to the top of the dome (and the hundreds of steps up further!) to see th incredible views up there for the time you would have after the Scavi Tour and before a 14:00 Vatican Museum tour time? There probably still would be time to grab a bite to eat as well!

Just a thought, Tomkat, but you MAY want to consider the elevator ride to the top of the dome (and the hundreds of steps up further!) to see th incredible views up there for the time you would have after the Scavi Tour and before a 14:00 Vatican Museum tour time? There probably still would be time to grab a bite to eat as well!

We are actually planning on climbing to the top, and then touring the museum around 12 noon for a couple of hours. We, along with alot of other first time Rome visitors, are probably trying to fit too much into 24 hours!! The reason I didn't want to do a 2 PM tour, is because I wanted to get to the Borghese gardens between 2 and 3 and do alittle biking and possibly see the Capuchin crypts. Probably too much???

Doh! Sorry, yes, it is about an hour and a half. We spent over an hour in St. Peter's Basilica and if you also wanted to climb the duomo, that would take more time so 14:00 would still be a reasonable time for the museum tour if you wanted to grab some lunch, that way you wouldn't have to rush through the Basilica. It can take 10-20 minutes to walk over to the museum entrance from the St. Peter's Square.

Where is this special exit :confused:

It is easy to find. You will enter the Sistine at one end and walk all the way through. When you have gazed your fill, you will exit at the other end from where you entered.

The exit door to the left takes you back into the Vatican Museum. The exit door to the right (which often has a sign that says "tours only") will take you through a longish corridor all the way to the entrance vestibule of St. Peters. You won't have to traipse all the way back to the museum entrance and then make the walk over to St Peters -- genius!! (btw, just ignore the sign and look like you know where you're going......)

Archived