Need Help With taking Baby on Cruise questions!! Alaska Cruise.... PLEASE HELP!!!!

wadeod

We are taking a 14 month old child on a cruise next year. It is a big family cruise so he has too go.

Any advice would be helpful because we have never traveled like this with our child.

But here are a few questions:

1) i believe under 2 yrs of age that you dont have to buy him a seat on the plane. But what happens when we take him in the cab to the port? do we need to lug this big car seat around just for that? is it illegal if he doesnt have a car seat in the cab?

2) do you recommend just a small umbrella stroller to get around?

3) what should we bring him on the cruise???? does the cruise line supply anything like baby food or diapers? or do we bring it all?

4) should he just sleep with us in bed? or do they have crib like things, or bring a pack and play????????????//

TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and give me suggestions on things i havent asked...................

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

The cruiseline can supply SOME food, but you are best to bring your own, they do not supply diapers, so again - bring twice what you need. But in Alaska - there will be opportunities to buy them in port if needed. Unless you are only taking a short flight- I would NEVER consider a lap child for anything more than an hour or two. Buy the seat and take an approved car seat- be CERTAIN to verify it is ACCEPTABLE, there are very specific guidelines. It is UP to YOU if you want an unsecured child in a cab, but with taking the seat then that solves the problem. You will need to verify with the cruiseline if cribs are available. Take only the fold up stroller, more than enough for your needs. I also would NOT consider any tours more than an hour- you will definately not be able to guarantee no disruptions and a child that age will not remember much if anything, having an extremely short attention span.

On flights, if you hit turbulance it can be dangerous for your child if he does not have a seat of his own. He or she really can "fly" up out of your arms and be hurt. Ask any stewardess if they would fly their child in their lap. I think the answer would be no. If you decide to save the money, then you might look into one of those harness looking things that you can wear and place the baby in so he/she would be safely restrained.

We cruised several times with our son when he was a toddler (he's 11 years old now... wow), and it isn't much different from taking him on any vacation. Actually, a cruise was easier, and a cruise with family was the best as they made sure my husband and I had a chance to go out by ourselves a couple of nights.

1) i believe under 2 yrs of age that you dont have to buy him a seat on the plane. But what happens when we take him in the cab to the port? do we need to lug this big car seat around just for that? is it illegal if he doesnt have a car seat in the cab?
As far as I know, car seats are required in all states. I agree with the others who say to use it on the plane, as well, for safety's sake. When in the cabin, the seat stowed well in the bottom of the closet.

2) do you recommend just a small umbrella stroller to get around?
Yes. See if you can get one with a basket below so you won't have to actually carry as much. When going on the plane, ask them to gate check the stroller, so you can have it in the airport, too.

3) what should we bring him on the cruise???? does the cruise line supply anything like baby food or diapers? or do we bring it all?
Definitely bring the diapers -- more than you will need -- as well as santized bags in which to dispose them. (The extra space you'll have in your luggage on the way home can be used for souveniers.) At 14 months old, your son will likely be able to eat off the children's menu on the ship. Milk and juice are available on board. But most importantly -- bring medications such as Children's Tylenol or whatever you use at home as getting it on board might not be possible.

4) should he just sleep with us in bed? or do they have crib like things, or bring a pack and play????????????//
Reserve a crib as soon as possible. On many ships, the "double" bed is actually two beds pushed together, and it may be uncomfortable, or even unsafe, for him to sleep between you.

Happy to answer any other questions.

First of all take a deep breath, this will be easier than you expect as long as you do a lot of advance planning.

First of all, pay the money and buy the baby a seat on the plane. It is safer and will be easier for all of you. No baby wants to be held for 5 or 6 hours. Your baby knows how to act while in his car seat and will act the same way in his car seat when it is strapped into an airplane seat.

Invest in a baby food grinder. They are small, fit into a baby bag or back pack and can turn any table food into baby food with a few cranks of a handle. At 14 months your baby will be able to eat a lot of regular stuff too!! Bring several tupperwares filled with goldfish, cheerios and teddygrahams. I say tupperwares b/c they will keep the contents from being smashed into oblivion in your luggage.

Since you are going to Alaska you will be able to buy diapers in the ports. However I would guess they would be very expensive. We used to unpack the diapers from their original bags and then pack them 3 or 4 at a time in the front pockets of our suitcases....you will be amazed how many you can get in there. Also bring a lot of plastic grocery store bags. You can use them for lining garbage cans and for wrapping up the poopy diapers. Your room steward will really appreciate it if you go the extra mile here.

I personally would go with a pack and play rather than the crib b/c you can fold up the pack and play during the day and leave more room for the baby to play. What we did was have my DH sleep in the upper bunk and then my son and I slept in the two bottom beds pushed together. I brought a portable bed rail, but found I didn't need it as the steward just pushed the beds against the wall. At 14 months he should be big enough that slipping into the middle crack should be a problem. The steward can also make the bed with big sheets so that kind of eliminates the middle crack problem too.

I would definitely bring the car seat. I know it is huge and a pain to haul around but if you bring the umbrella stroller you can lay the carseat in the stroller and wheel it through the airport. You can gate check the stroller and the airline will have it waiting on the jetway when you land.

I have travelled with our now four year old since he was a little baby. Feel free to email me direct if you have any questions. My email address is listed in my public profile. Just click on my name up here in the upper left corner.

We are taking a 14 month old child on a cruise next year. It is a big family cruise so he has too go.

Any advice would be helpful because we have never traveled like this with our child.

But here are a few questions:

I'm assuming you are cruising out of Seattle. According to the seat belt laws for Washington State, passenger cars for hire (taxi, limousines, towncars) are exempt from the carseat laws. Knowing that you are not breaking the law if you don't have a carseat for your child in a taxi, it is up to you to decide whether you want to bring a carseat for your child for that 10 minute ride from the airport to the port. You will be on the highway as well. Some parents decide to risk it, others do not. The towncar we hired had a little armrest which acted as a booster seat and our 4.5YO sat on it and belted in like an adult would. That seat belt fitted her snugly. It is a dilemma, one that the parents need to decide for your child.

As for the plane ride, as long as your flight is not full, the check-in person can always blocked off the seat between you and your husband so your child can have a seat, even if you didn't buy the ticket. If the flight is full, we simply check-in the carseat as one of the luggage. If you decide against bringing a carseat, you can always find out ahead of time by calling the airline to see if your flight is full. If the empty seat next to you is available, it's easier for you and the child to strap him into the carseat for the duration of the plane ride. The child will not think any different than if she was in a car.

do you recommend just a small umbrella stroller to get around?

We brought the stroller that we use regularly. Our baby falls asleep in the stroller readily, so it's like his home away from home. We would use the stroller on deck--push him all the way into the dining room. Sometimes he would fall asleep in the dining room while in his stroller. We have a Combi convenience stroller. It's not too wide to manuver down the corridors of the ship. Some Graco strollers are too wide to convenient push down the corridors because the service carts are parked outside cabin doors when the cabin stewards are cleaning the rooms. The umbrella stroller would not have this problem.

We walked a lot for our visit to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria. Strollers with baskets are great for diaper bag, shopping bags, and thick jackets (that we took off when weather turned hot.)

We didn't join any planned tours. We simply did a little research ahead of time and walked around the towns with our kids and did a lot of shopping.

The great thing about Princess is that they allow parents into the kids' zone. Although your 14M old is not old enough for kids' club, but there is a ball pit that he can go into and play in there if you are there with him. I'm talking about Diamond/Sapphire Princess. Not sure about other ships though in terms of their kids' zone set up.

At 14M, he should be able to eat lots of different kinds of food. You do need to bring Cheerios if that's the only cereal he'll eat. Princess only has Kellogg's rice krispies, corn flakes, and fruit loops that kids would like. They have tons of fruits which you can cut up for your child. Bring plastic spoons or utensils your child can use if he can eat on his own. It's hard to find teaspoons on board. Princess provide stage 2 baby food and rice cereals. I think by 14M, your child would be too old for baby food.

It's hard to imagine what a 14M old can eat when your child is still a baby now, but besides fruits, there is yogurt, toasts, different kinds of breads, french fries, eggs, meats, and vegetables. You can always ask the wait staff in the dining room to bring you steamed vegetables for your child. As long as the food is soft and cut up into small pieces, your 14M can learn to chew or "swallow".

It is the best time to find out what kind of food your 14M old like without being a short-order cook.

At 14M your baby should be drinking regular cow's milk. You can get that easily at the Horizon Court (buffet) during breakfast hours and store the extra milk you get in the refrigerator in your cabin. That will save you the time and energy trying to find milk throughout the day. We do that with Orange Juice and apple juice as well. I simply ask for a lot during breakfast hours and store them in sippy cups and refrigerate them.

If your baby is still on formula at 14M, you would have to bring your formula.

Princess provides a crib. Depending on whether you like the family bed concept. You can put two beds together and just sleep together or you can have him sleep in the crib if that's what he is used to. No need to bring a portable crib.

You do need to tell your TA to put cribs and baby food in your booking.

Please post your question again 2 weeks before your sailing date. At that time, you'll know more of your toddler's behavior, likes and dislikes. I'll be able to answer in more detail your questions then.

In my mind, cruising is the easiest way to vacation when you have a toddler.

If you want to know all the answers to your questions, please check the family cruising board (I have posted quite a bit on that board) or email me at jtsaila@excite.com.

Jennifer

For clairfication- Seattle flights run at load factors in the 90% + "s in the summer and the rest of the seats given to stand bys. So I would NOT count on a vacant seat- purchase on, then you have a confirm seating. There are some excellent comments on the food here, but in the main dining rooms I would be well prepared to exit if your child becomes disruptive, few toddlers can tolerate the extended multicourse dining there and frankly it is very disturbing to other passengers.

One advantage of Princess "Anytime Dining" is that you can schedule dinner in the main dining rooms around your schedule.. check with the maitre'd the first night if you'd like to try and get the same wait staff each evening .. they can often accommodate that. Since you will be cruising with a family group I don't know if all of you plan to dine together each night.. if so I'd definitely try for same wait staff.. they will be able to help you get things situated with your little one:)

You will also find the Horizon Court to be a great alternative.

When you buy a seat for baby, you then get to take luggage for baby. Otherwise you get to pack baby's stuff in your already jammed suitcase.

When I traveled with my 18 MO we flew out of LAX. I was terrified that he would get away from me in the International Terminal. I begrudgingly bought a leash type of apparatus that I connected to him and myself. During our trip we went on a ferry boat that had simple railings that a todder could easily have climbed or fallen through to the ocean below. Out came the hand holder as I called it. Every mother of a toddler on that ferry wanted to buy it from me. I could have made a fortune.

To keep my toddler busy on the airplane and various time on the trip, I bought inexpensive toys and wrapped them like a gift. They get to open one or two on the plane and then save them for bored times on the trip when you are despirate for them to be entertained. Bubbles, toy trucks, books, duplo blocks, etc. You pick out the toy prior to opening, you obviously don't want the bubbles unwrapped on the airplane.

See if he or she is interested in the painting books with the paint embedded in the picture. All you have to do is add water. You let them "paint with a wet Q-tip.

The airline let me send a case of diapers as a piece of luggage, but we were gone 18 days to a foreign country so I had to carry a few more diapers than what you will need in Alaska.

I bought a special water bottle that was also a toy. This encouraged the children to drink water. A dehydrated child can be a cranky constipated child.

Don't forget the sunscreen, insect repelent, and a hat of some kind.

If you have room in the suitcases, bring one of the sheets from the crib, then it will feel more familiar even if it doesn't fiit the crib on the ship.

Deb

When you buy a seat for baby, you then get to take luggage for baby. Otherwise you get to pack baby's stuff in your already jammed suitcase.

..... I begrudgingly bought a leash type of apparatus that I connected to him and myself. .....

I bought a special water bottle that was also a toy. This encouraged the children to drink water. A dehydrated child can be a cranky constipated child.

Don't forget the sunscreen, insect repelent, and a hat of some kind.

This person has very good advice, especially with the child harness. The only thing I can think to add is that a Child Carrier like one of these would be and excellent thing to have on an excursion. I know that I was really, REALLY happy that I had one when my son was little. It was the only way I could take him shopping or somewhere I wanted to go where a stroller wouldn't work very well.

We've cruised with all of our children as babies (and are taking a Panama Canal cruise this February with our 9, 7 and almost 2 y.o.). One thing that we have always done to avoid having to bring a carseat is to arrange for limo transfers. For example, we are flying into Miami in February, and are paying $85 for a limo (which we have pre-arranged to have a carseat) to drive us to our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. It turns out that this is cheaper than almost any other type of transfer (there are 5 of us, so with our luggage we would need to take 2 cabs), and the kids love it! Great way to avoid bringing a carseat.

We took the DD to Alaska when she was 18 mo. If you are not coming from the Western time zone, start adjusting your child's bed time ahead of time. Our daughter didn't adapt to the time difference until day 3, which was not fun. The aerobics studio is a good, big empty place to let them run around at 4 a.m.

Visit your child's doctor right before you go. Try to bring a filled (as in the actual medicine) prescription for anything like anti-seasickness medicine, any medicines the child takes regularly and an antibiotic. Our daughter came down with pneumonia while we were traveling and the ship's doctor was not very comfortable in examining or prescribing medicine for small children. The words "We might put you off the ship in Juneau so she can go the children's hospital" came up. This didn't happen, but the doctor did have to radio a pediatrician on shore to get appropriate dosages for medicine from the ship's dispensary. Bring plenty of Baby Tylenol and other meds the child might use as they do not carry those things on the ship and ships do occasionally miss ports.

There are stores in the ports, but prices in Alaska are really sky high. We had trouble in the dining room with our daughter in getting food brought to her quickly enough and ended up buying little pop-top cans of vegetables in port. Advanced planning on your part and possibly planning ahead from the buffet as mentioned above could save your bacon.

If anyone in the large family is a teenager, you might want to consult with them ahead of time for some paid babysitting as this is not available from the ship.

Don't forget swim diapers, if your ship has an indoor pool.

I endorse both an umbrella stroller and a baby backpack for maximum moveability. Things like a full-sized stroller and a car seat will take up a lot of space in your cabin. The airline will not let you use one of the smaller restraints listed above, even if the seat is empty. It has to have an FAA sticker.

One last note, many of the crew have small children at home that they are working to support. If they want to play with your child, by all means let them.

CAD

Actually a lot of ships now do NOT allow unpotty trained children in pool and no one in swim diapers. For the life of me, I don't understanding people wanting to be in the pool with these?? Just simply, way too much bacteria for my preferences. :)

Wadeod: please re-send email .. I do not have yours.. and put something in subject line to I.D. it.!

I'd start a list now of what you need to take, can buy in embarkation port, etc. There were several very young children in the pool on RCI this past September.. not the indoor pool but the outdoor one in swim diapers but I would check directly with Princess on these things. There's really no other way to get the correct answers to specific questions.

Archived