Orient Beach -- families concerned about nudity beware

• 2 weeks later...
What an "experience" for a group of 9 women ranging from the 30s to 60s... But, not my experience beyond the rocks at Pedro's after 9:00 am or so. FWIW, I walked the entire length of that beach nude before 9:00am in January and I maybe saw a half-dozen "like" people. And, BTW, I saw very few others, if any, after that...

Those of you who want to keep your kids away from this "evil", try Le Galion or just stay on the ship. Those of you who come to gawk, be a little less obvious...

I don't think anyone said "evil"....I know my DS (9yrs old)...would be very uncomfortable and I would prefer to go to a beach that doesn't allow full nudity. Modest/Conservative people are allowed to enjoy a beach or too also

I don't think anyone said "evil"....I know my DS (9yrs old)...would be very uncomfortable and I would prefer to go to a beach that doesn't allow full nudity. Modest/Conservative people are allowed to enjoy a beach or too also

Don't think the Dutch side allows nudity. You may want to try Dawn Beach. I guess the problem is that Orient Beach really is a great beach. We did take our kids there a couple of weeks ago (11 and 9). Didn't see any total nudity but did see some topless women. My 9-year old son was definitely not happy about that. But being "exposed" to different cultures isn't going to cause irreparable harm. I don't think the French culture considers topless to offend anyone. There are people who consider American women to offend "moderate/conservative people" since they don't cover their hair. This is a cultural thing and not a "modest/conservative" thing. As such, you may find the Dutch culture, when it comes to beach attire, to be more in tune with what you are used to.

Don't think the Dutch side allows nudity.

As such, you may find the Dutch culture, when it comes to beach attire, to be more in tune with what you are used to.

There is a tendency for the dutch beaches to have less toplessness, but it is certainly not banned - I doubt you will find full nudity on the dutch side but I have for sure seen topless sunbathing.

I think it's more a case of nude bathers gravitating to Orient Beach - I don't think there's the demand on the island for too many other places. This is such a non-issue with kids, if the adults in the party treat it as a insignificant, the children very quickly accept the fact and get back to their swimming and sandcastle building.

This is such a non-issue with kids

-if the adults in the party treat it as a insignificant, the children very quickly accept the fact

and get back to their swimming and sandcastle building.

Why do adults transpose their sexual guilt-hangups onto their kids?

-particularly their daughters?

I see it happening time and again particularly on this Western side of the Atlantic

-the Europeans aren't like this! ;)

What happens when we become parents? -does the 'kid' in us die?

Does becoming a parent make us cross an irreversible attitudinal 'threshold'?

At the ripe old age of near-60, I never had any kids of my own

and consequently find myself thinking that most (Victorian-based?) adult impositions of their kids are so weird

but I accept that I'm still a big ole kid who was never forced to cross the above threshold.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think there's much truth to ikelmay's comment

about adult nudity being a big non-issue with kids

There is a tendency for the dutch beaches to have less toplessness, but it is certainly not banned - I doubt you will find full nudity on the dutch side but I have for sure seen topless sunbathing.

I think it's more a case of nude bathers gravitating to Orient Beach - I don't think there's the demand on the island for too many other places. This is such a non-issue with kids, if the adults in the party treat it as a insignificant, the children very quickly accept the fact and get back to their swimming and sandcastle building.

Yup, I forgot all about that on the Dutch side. Even though it's less prevalent, I do remember hearing about nude beaches there as well.

Orient Beach is just one of my favorite beaches in the Caribbean. Maybe it's #2 to Trunk Bay and St John.

I have no problem with OP "warning" those with hangups about topless women. I do take issue with those expecting foreign cultures to comply with their request to allow them to enjoy a beach that conforms with their american modest/conservative way of living. When we go to foreign countries, we are THEIR guests.

Don't think the Dutch side allows nudity.

Cupecoy Beach is the nude beach on the Dutch side. A pretty beach that is quiet and relaxing . . . not the "circus" atmosphere of Orient.

Cupecoy Beach is the nude beach on the Dutch side. A pretty beach that is quiet and relaxing . . . not the "circus" atmosphere of Orient.

Yeah, I remembered that after i was first corrected. I am a big fan of Orient Beach. The beach itself, including the water, the snorkeling, and sand are great. I also like the fact that you can get a bite to eat there and drinks don't cost an arm and a leg. I don't mind the topless beach. I can live without the total nudity thing. I hope that doesn't make me sexist.

Orient is still one of my favourite places is the caribbean, and I can't explain why........ I find it such a shame if visitors (and particularly families) are put off visiting because of the potential problems with the clothing issue. For me, it just adds to the ambience of an island with european influences rather than the conformist british and american influenced destinations.

I guess it's just my idea of an almost perfect beach - something for everyone, if you want to escape, just walk for a few minutes and you'll be away from the restaurants and bars - if you want a lounger and some shade there's plenty of choice. It's easy to get to by shared taxi and there's a frequent service to and from the beach back to Philipsburg.

OK, enough of the promo LOL

Orient is still one of my favourite places is the caribbean, and I can't explain why........ I find it such a shame if visitors (and particularly families) are put off visiting because of the potential problems with the clothing issue. For me, it just adds to the ambience of an island with european influences rather than the conformist british and american influenced destinations.

I guess it's just my idea of an almost perfect beach - something for everyone, if you want to escape, just walk for a few minutes and you'll be away from the restaurants and bars - if you want a lounger and some shade there's plenty of choice. It's easy to get to by shared taxi and there's a frequent service to and from the beach back to Philipsburg.

OK, enough of the promo LOL

Just to point out that Britain is part of Europe and as such topless beaches are fairly commonplace and therefore not really an issue for us Brits.

You may not see much toplessness on British beaches themselves but this is more due to weather conditions rather than a conservative nature!;)

Just to point out that Britain is part of Europe and as such topless beaches are fairly commonplace and therefore not really an issue for us Brits.

You may not see much toplessness on British beaches themselves but this is more due to weather conditions rather than a conservative nature!;)

We could never get away with this stuff in the States. We have too many perverts to be concerned with.

My posting was more concerned with the traditions and influences on caribbean islands that had british colonial history rather than mainland european colonial history. The islands least likely to welcome toplessness/nudism are those with a british or american connection.

I would agree though that the lack of topless bathing in the UK has more to do with hypothermia than anything else..............

My posting was more concerned with the traditions and influences on caribbean islands that had british colonial history rather than mainland european colonial history. The islands least likely to welcome toplessness/nudism are those with a british or american connection.

I would agree though that the lack of topless bathing in the UK has more to do with hypothermia than anything else..............

Not to post that you are wrong, but I think islands/Central America/Mexico that had Spanish colonial history are also the least likely.

We could never get away with this stuff in the States. We have too many perverts to be concerned with.

I hardly know where to begin.

There are "too many perverts" in the US for topless sunbathing to be acceptable? Every country in the world has its share of perverts. Being in the US has not a darn thing to do with anything like this.

Topless sunbathing isn't something we could "get away with"? There are hundreds of beaches, parks, and other places in the US that allow topless and even nude sunbathing--and yes, most of the them are public and not private locations.

Seeing topless women automatically means that a "pervert" will somehow be more "perverty" and go do something wrong (no, make that evil)? Ridiculous. Sexual predators do not need any enticements to feel or behave the way they do.

I think you misunderstand many things about topless and nude sunbathing. There are hundreds of thousands of people around the world who enjoy it without feeling the need to compare the practice to either condoning or worsening sexual crimes. The idea that the US is so full of "perverts" that we couldn't "allow" topless sunbathing is insulting (and wrong) on so many levels.

Everyone is certainly entitled to his or her own comfort level and preferences. That is not, or at least should not, be in dispute. If someone is bothered or offended or uncomfortable around topless or nude sunbathing, he or she should not be made to feel wrong for it. OTOH, he or she should not behave as if those who do enjoy it are immoral or act as if another country and culture should change its non-harmful customs. It is also wrong for people to imply/state that beaches where toplessness or nudity are customary must be automatically non-family friendly. That's an insult to the thousands of families throughout the world who enjoy those beaches together.

beachchick

I hardly know where to begin.

There are "too many perverts" in the US for topless sunbathing to be acceptable? Every country in the world has its share of perverts. Being in the US has not a darn thing to do with anything like this.

Topless sunbathing isn't something we could "get away with"? There are hundreds of beaches, parks, and other places in the US that allow topless and even nude sunbathing--and yes, most of the them are public and not private locations.

Seeing topless women automatically means that a "pervert" will somehow be more "perverty" and go do something wrong (no, make that evil)? Ridiculous. Sexual predators do not need any enticements to feel or behave the way they do.

I think you misunderstand many things about topless and nude sunbathing. There are hundreds of thousands of people around the world who enjoy it without feeling the need to compare the practice to either condoning or worsening sexual crimes. The idea that the US is so full of "perverts" that we couldn't "allow" topless sunbathing is insulting (and wrong) on so many levels.

Everyone is certainly entitled to his or her own comfort level and preferences. That is not, or at least should not, be in dispute. If someone is bothered or offended or uncomfortable around topless or nude sunbathing, he or she should not be made to feel wrong for it. OTOH, he or she should not behave as if those who do enjoy it are immoral or act as if another country and culture should change its non-harmful customs. It is also wrong for people to imply/state that beaches where toplessness or nudity are customary must be automatically non-family friendly. That's an insult to the thousands of families throughout the world who enjoy those beaches together.

beachchick

I'm very happy that someone wrote a response to the assertion. I read it and couldn't decide whether it was a joke or not. My response would have been much less cogent than yours . . . good job!

I'm very happy that someone wrote a response to the assertion. I read it and couldn't decide whether it was a joke or not. My response would have been much less cogent than yours . . . good job!

I wasn't joking and I do believe that the US more than its share of whackjobs (maybe predator is a better term) out there who could not handle topless or nude beaches. I have absolutely no doubt that pictures of topless of women would be more likely to wind up on the internet if topless or nude bathing was allowed in the US. I do think other societies and cultures deal with this better on mainstream beaches. That is the differences. It's cultural, societal, and behavioral. I do understand that there are some beaches in the US that have this. But none are mainstream. You have every right to disagree with me and call me an idiot. I've been called worse on CC. Possibly, I think more about this because I have an 11-year old daughter about to enter some important years in her life. If I am an overprotective dad, you can insult me for that as well.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I never mentioned that I believed that perverts would automatically show up at a US mainstream beach if it allowed topless and nude sunbathing. All I believe is that it is a more likely outcome. Our uniquely American culture is just not the same as others. The same could be said for drinking ages. I fully understand that youth in France are taught to drink and enjoy wine responsibly. I have no problem with the French being easier on drinking policies. But that doesn't mean I believe Americans could handle that either.

Oh, and for what it's worth, if you don't believe that certain cultures are able to deal with certain activities better than others, then I give up. :mad: My other points in this thread (if you bothered to read them) were that I have no problem with Orient Beach and that Americans should not impose their own values on other cultures nor expect other cultures to conform to visiting Americans values. :rolleyes:

I wasn't joking and I do believe that the US more than its share of whackjobs (maybe predator is a better term) out there who could not handle topless or nude beaches. I have absolutely no doubt that pictures of topless of women would be more likely to wind up on the internet if topless or nude bathing was allowed in the US. I do think other societies and cultures deal with this better on mainstream beaches. That is the differences. It's cultural, societal, and behavioral. I do understand that there are some beaches in the US that have this. But none are mainstream. You have every right to disagree with me and call me an idiot. I've been called worse on CC. Possibly, I think more about this because I have an 11-year old daughter about to enter some important years in her life. If I am an overprotective dad, you can insult me for that as well.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I never mentioned that I believed that perverts would automatically show up at a US mainstream beach if it allowed topless and nude sunbathing. All I believe is that it is a more likely outcome. Our uniquely American culture is just not the same as others. The same could be said for drinking ages. I fully understand that youth in France are taught to drink and enjoy wine responsibly. I have no problem with the French being easier on drinking policies. But that doesn't mean I believe Americans could handle that either.

Just want to say that I never called you an idiot nor would I. I also didn't believe you were joking. I disagree with your assertions, but that doesn't mean I think you are an idiot or stupid or anything else derogatory. I think whackjobs isn't too far off the mark, but for me it implies they are "crazy" in a way that could absolve them of some responsibility. They are predators who know exactly what they are doing and who prey on others.

My DH and I are parents of a DD too. Granted, she's grown with a baby girl of her own now. But we well remember her teen years. We were quite protective of her well being, especially her father (my DH, of course). He still is for that matter.

There are mainstream topless and nude beaches in the US. There are millions of pix of topless women and nude women/men all over the internet. They are from all over the world and viewed by people all over the world. And topless/nude sunbathing is allowed in the United States. It's not allowed as widely as in some other countries, but it's not a federal issue either. It's based on local laws and customs and varies from place to place.

I do have a question. What is the difference between you believing that predators do/would show up if more US beaches, etc. allowed topless sunbathing and believing that it's a likely outcome? Aren't both basically the same thing based on your personal opinions? (No, I am not saying you are wrong for believing this; just asking you to clarify the difference.)

There are several things I disagree with you about. I do not believe there are more predators (by population) in the US than in other countries. There are countries where behavior we deem criminal is not illegal, which bothers me quite a lot. In some cases, we may seem to have "more" sexual predators because we have developed more laws regarding sexual behavior. For pity's sake, it wasn't very long ago when a judge in Italy ruled that a woman could not have been a rape victim because her jeans were too tight and, thus, she must have "helped" remove them; if she helped her rapist in any way, then she wasn't raped; never mind whether he was holding a gun or knife to her head when she removed those jeans! On the flip side in the US, an 18-y/o high school senior who has sex with his 16-y/o high school junior girlfriend can be prosecuted for statutory rape and be forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life with no differentiation between that unfortunate young man and a child rapist-murderer. Statistics are tricky things. IMO, these types of things need to be kept in mind when addressing how many sexual criminals we have versus other countries.

I do not believe that we, as a society, are unable to "handle" topless or nude sunbathing. I do not believe that US cultural, societal, and behavioral customs are as homogenus as you do and I give them/us more credit than you as to what they/we can "handle."

I do commend you for protecting your DD from dangers. She will no doubt "chafe" at some of your rules and restrictions, but she will thank you later. This I know from personal experience. We didn't try to shelter our DD from everything or overprotect her and prevent her from maturing, but we did lay down rules, curfews, and behavioral expectations with appropriate consequences. There were times she thought we were the most restrictive parents in the world (or maybe the universe), but she also knew we loved her and took her safety and well being seriously. We all survived.

Oh, and for what it's worth, if you don't believe that certain cultures are able to deal with certain activities better than others, then I give up. :mad: My other points in this thread (if you bothered to read them) were that I have no problem with Orient Beach and that Americans should not impose their own values on other cultures nor expect other cultures to conform to visiting Americans values. :rolleyes:

The last part of my previous post was directed generally and not at you directly/personally. It was my error not to make that clear and I apologize for not doing so.

beachchick

Well, at least the discussion is more civil. I do think we have more problems in the US and now it has grown and we now have "sexting". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexting While this is not confined to the US, it is also reported in Great Britain, New Zealand, and Australia, which have cultures closer to the US culture and maybe a bit different from France.

I live in a part of the country where we have many public beaches and none of our mainstream beaches allow topless women or nudity. I am comfortable with that. I am also comfortable with Orient Beach. Again, it's cultural. Am I a prude for not wanting to see this allowed on mainstream popular beached on Cape Cod, in Maine, or RI? I guess that depends on your definition.

THE BEACHCHICK RULES!!!

I just love it when the "sweetheart of toplessness" speaks her mind in a fashion that can easily and clearly be understood.

After spending 3 weeks at Orient, I worshipped at the alter of womankind. It's such an interesting day when you can sit and have a lengthy conversation with a new lady aquantaince sitting next to me on a beach lounge with her wearing only a string bikini bottom. It's a real challenge to maintain constant eye contact and still carry on a thoughtful conversation. And my wife complimented me in never uttering a word about me telling the lady "I like your outfit"!

And I didn't even mind that she had been to the body shop for some "enhancements".

Archived