Help my teenagers are going to break me.

debandken

My wife and I have sailed Celebrity three times this time we are taking the kids. Trouble is our daughter and son will go mad if we give them an onboard cashless card. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to limiting the amount that can be charged to the onboard account on a daily basis.

Ken and Deb

When our older daughter was around 9 or 10, we were on a cruise and she had finally figured out what that card could do...at the first opportunity, she visited the onboard shops and came back with a bottle of "Giorgio" Cologne!!!

Our answer since then has been nothing special...We allow them to charge a REASONABLE amount of drinks...ask them to clear it with us before they make any gift shop or photo or spa purchase...

When it really comes down to it, there isn't THAT much they can or need to charge...They can get all the food they want...We set up their shore excursions for them...same with spa visits...And, they DO show reason...they know we can check on their charges regularly...

The internet thing now available adds one factor to this and it can get expensive...We just let the girls know exactly how expensive it is and give them a budget and ask them to limit their internet use...DON'T use it like at home...The girls have been fine with this...

Our girls are now 18 and 20 and have been on 8 or 9 cruises with us...and we have never (aside form the Giorgio episode) had a problem...

BTW, my wife decided to keep the bottle of Giorgio for herself...

Why don't you set a "budget" for them each day (ie: "you can spend up to $10.00 each per day and that's it!"). Or maybe they could start saving their allowance and you could give them some of that each day.

There are numerous ways you can tell them how much they can spend each day.

Seems to me, if they're going to go mad, I'd put them in kennel.

You make your kids out to be lousy losers.

You make yourselves out to be even lousier losers. If you can't control their spending behavior on your dime, how do plan to control their other behaviors?

I hope y'all aren't on my cruise.

You make yourselves out to be even lousier losers. If you can't control their spending behavior on your dime, how do plan to control their other behaviors?

What a low down, horrible thing to say.:( :mad: Sometime people want to ask a question that may sound ridiculous, or appear to be a no-brainer to others, but IMHO sometimes people simply wish to join in the camaraderie that is, or should I say USED TO BE, found on this board.

One should feel comfortable enough that if they ask a cruise related question, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to someone else, that they can get a RESPECTABLE answer without being flamed, slammed, harrassed, condemned, etc. I thought that's what these boards were for! :confused: Why can't those have nothing nice to add to a thread, just keep their thoughts to themselves?

Please do those of us a favor who enjoy these boards and who utilize them in the manner they are intended for -- as a means of sharing our common love of cruising, and to gain cruise related information...If you can't say anything nice to someone, just don't say it at all.:mad:

I apologize for taking this thread further OT, but as of late have felt that there are those who are definitely ruining the tone of these boards. Thanks for taking the time to read/listen.

AND, to the OP, I would simply set a reasonable amount that you will allow them to charge each day. Attach to this a consequence for abusing this privilege. Maybe you could tell them that you will take the card away from them which means they would then have to come to you for every purchase, to get back into the cabin, etc. This will become very inconvenient to them -- but may be enough to deter them from going wild with their charges. IMHO, I would use this as a means of allowing them to learn about responsible financial choices while at the same time letting them know that their actions have repercussions. Or, maybe you could collect from them (from allowances, etc.) an upfront amount as a sort of insurance "on account." Tell them that if they utilize the card in a responsible manner (spell out up front what you consider to be responsible) they can have that returned to them at the end of the cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

You have two choices, do not incude their names on you card, or leave them behind. Put these to them and ask 'Which one?' Good luck. john taylor

I agree completely. Either don't include them on the account OR see if the cruise line can put a limit on the children. If they go over the limit let them know they somehow will have to pay for the difference or maybe even their total invoice amount. Too bad. You are the parent and you set the rules & regulations. You tell them it's my way or the gang plank LOL :D :D

8_5_7.gif

My wife and I have sailed Celebrity three times this time we are taking the kids. Trouble is our daughter and son will go mad if we give them an onboard cashless card. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to limiting the amount that can be charged to the onboard account on a daily basis.

Ken and Deb

We have simply told our kids not to use the cards for anything without our approval. Works great and is very easy to implement. If you have kids that wont listen to what you tell them then I sugesst, as many have, that they do not get a card for charging.

JKS

What a low down, horrible thing to say.:( :mad: Sometime people want to ask a question that may sound ridiculous, or appear to be a no-brainer to others, but IMHO sometimes people simply wish to join in the camaraderie that is, or should I say USED TO BE, found on this board.

One should feel comfortable enough that if they ask a cruise related question, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to someone else, that they can get a RESPECTABLE answer without being flamed, slammed, harrassed, condemned, etc. I thought that's what these boards were for! :confused: Why can't those have nothing nice to add to a thread, just keep their thoughts to themselves?

Please do those of us a favor who enjoy these boards and who utilize them in the manner they are intended for -- as a means of sharing our common love of cruising, and to gain cruise related information...If you can't say anything nice to someone, just don't say it at all.:mad:

I apologize for taking this thread further OT, but as of late have felt that there are those who are definitely ruining the tone of these boards. Thanks for taking the time to read/listen.

AND, to the OP, I would simply set a reasonable amount that you will allow them to charge each day. Attach to this a consequence for abusing this privilege. Maybe you could tell them that you will take the card away from them which means they would then have to come to you for every purchase, to get back into the cabin, etc. This will become very inconvenient to them -- but may be enough to deter them from going wild with their charges. IMHO, I would use this as a means of allowing them to learn about responsible financial choices while at the same time letting them know that their actions have repercussions. Or, maybe you could collect from them (from allowances, etc.) an upfront amount as a sort of insurance "on account." Tell them that if they utilize the card in a responsible manner (spell out up front what you consider to be responsible) they can have that returned to them at the end of the cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Hello Elaineb2

We have been reading these boards for the last five years, and appreciate your comments with regard to the negative posting. Some folks have nothing better to do I guess.

At any rate thanks for your comments and thanks to all the other posters good advice. We are taking our kids as a once in a lifetime treat as they actually are now both adults 23 and 19 however they do not have credit cards of thier own. We want them to have the best time possible and at the same time not be stuck with a large bill at cruise's end which they will have to pay back to us.

Thanks Again

Deb and Ken

Elaine, thank you:) .....I was about to post everything you had typed...but then decided to delete it.

I also felt like that was a very mean thing to say.:(

You're welcome:) I figured you wanted to say something along the lines when I saw your "never mind" post! Have fun on your upcoming cruise (I think it's coming up pretty soon - isn't it?) I do a lot of lurking/reading but not a whole lot of posting.

Although I don't agree with the vernacular, I concur with the content.

By indicating that the children will "go mad" and "break us", the OP verifies that their offspring have not had any sense of civility or responsibility instilled in them by parents. They are "OUT OF CONTROL" and I also would have no desire to encounter them while attempting a relaxing cruise vacation.

Had the OP asked what could be done to limit or monitor their spending without mentioning "going mad" and "breaking us", a perfectly normal question might have been answered in a civil, informative manner.

So they aren't exactly teenagers, at 19 you would definately be considered an adult. I would think giving them a cruise would be more than generous and that they could probably raise the spending money with a full- time job or part-time job if they are still in school. That wouldn't be asking too much.

So they aren't exactly teenagers, at 19 you would definately be considered an adult. I would think giving them a cruise would be more than generous and that they could probably raise the spending money with a full- time job or part-time job if they are still in school. That wouldn't be asking too much.

Three choices.... #1 Don't give them a card. #2 Have them save their own money from a job. #3. Or set a limit {for example $20} per day. You could always say next time you're staying home. LOL :D

I'm sorry if this is construed as mean, but I have to agree to some degree with others -- if, at any teen age, kids don't have a sense of money and the parents have to worry about the "kids" "break"ing them, there's going to be a problem.

Now, knowing they're 19 and 23, there's a simple solve: Explain to them now that they will be expected to fund their own cards. If, in fact, they don't have a credit card, that can easily be solved by them getting a secured card , where they send in $250 or so of their money, and the cc company issues a card for that amount. Another alternative would be a debit card which works as a credit card.

I've cruised with my 17 year old, and he had a card which was enabled for purchases, but he understood clearly that they first time he abused it, he'd have a card with no powers and would be wearing one of those little wristbands with his muster station on it ;)

We have cruised w/ our three DD's and also have taken them on many nice resort vacations w/ us -- they are all young adults now. We have NEVER had a problem. If you feel there "could" be a problem......talk w/ them about it b/f you go, so they know the limits -- they are not teenagers, they are adults. Wishing you all a wonderful cruise!

My thanks to Cruzn Tom for being my Colin Powell.

It just steams me when parents are being held hostage by their kids....which is the implication of the title of their post. Had they merely asked how to limit spending, I would have ignored the post, since I have no first hand knowledge.

And by referring to their kids as teenagers (which, wasn't exactly true), most people would assume high school kids.

So...

To the OP, it is wonderful that you are willing and able to treat your adult kids

to such a great vacation. And I hope you all have a great cruise together.

To Elaine and Lois...you are right! I had absolutely nothing postive and/or informative to add, that was wrong. I'm sorry.

Nitnyleo - that was very nice of you to apologize:) There are some others on this board who would have kept on.

I must say that in the OP posted the question, I too thought that she was referring to young teenagers (maybe 13, 14 - somewhere around there). I didn't realize she was referring to her adult children as teenagers. I have a 21 and a 17 year old that I no longer consider teenagers (even though technically the 17yo is still a teenager) but as young adults. So, I guess everyone has a different view on things.

Also, I too agree that it is very nice to treat your young adult children to a cruise. But, in my house, the 21 yo would pay her way, the 17 yo would need to pay for "extras" (predetermined by me:) -- I just may determine that the whole cruise is an "extra" :D ).

This past July on the Century was the first time we let our 11 yo daughter use her card to charge (that was her 3rd Celebrity cruise). We gave her a daily budget that she had to follow, and she did. On 1 occassion (mid-cruise) she went to the shops & came back because the shop manager told her that she needed our approval for a large purchase (all of $20.00). We accompanied her to the shop & gave our approval, the managere never questioned her purchases the rest of the cruise. When we were talking to the manager she told us that very often children over spend on the card & she wanted to avoid a return of merchandise & angry parents. We were happy that the manager was so concerned and even happier that our daughter was able to manage her daily budget successfully.

Archived