What are the advantages of using a travel agent

As you can tell from my signature we have been on numerous cruises and I'm looking for our next one (a 3 night for just hubby and I out of Miami).

I can usually find a good deal since I check RCCL web site religiously most days and have never used a TA.

So I'm now wondering what advantages are there for using a TA? Can you get a better deal and if so, how do you find a reputable one? I would assume there must be a commission/fee in going this route so is it really worth it if you don't already have an established relationship with a TA?

I never use a TA. I like to have control of my reservation. I watch the rates and just call RC to get the lower rate. I can call RC 7 days a week for any assistance I may need.....most TA are closed on weekends or they are out of town, don't return calls or emails.

How many times have we seen on here where a poster is panicked because they can't get ahold of their TA for a problem or a rate drop?

While you may get a nice OBC or super service from a TA, I still like to handle my own and deal with RC direct. Never had a problem in all our cruises.

You will see differant opinions on this subject depending on ones personal preferance. If your fortunate to get a great TA, then you don't have to worry, they will alert you to price changes, get to know your personal preferances. We have used ours for the 4 cruises and she has been able to get terrific prices for us. If you choose a TA make sure they don't charge a Commission. If we didn't use her then I would go directly with the cruise lines.

I think good TA is worth their weight in gold but you have to kiss a lot of frogs along the way. I love ours but we had to endure a lot of uneducated salespeople trying to rush us into buying, first.

A good TA is a great advocate if there are speedbumps and hopefully, they know the buttons to push.

We "own" our reservation til the last second and then transfer to a TA. Best of both worlds.

I have always used a TA but learned my lesson about a month ago. I had used a TA that I found on here. Then the rates for my cruise dropped by half. I knew it was a temporary drop. I spent all morning trying to get her on the phone because as a few others said, once it is booked with the TA only the TA can make any changes. Finally after hours of stress and frustration, she called me back. She was clearly disappointed to have to give the discount, and even admitted that it cut into her pay. (So then I felt bad - for a minute; the cruise was literally 1/2 the price it had been a year before and this was a spring break cruise.)

Likewise, we are going to Disney in a few weeks and I had also booked with a different TA. Again, I wish I had not. I can't easily change things.

Maybe I would use a TA for a more complicated trip - but not for this.

For one thing, if the travel agency is large enough, they can book blocks of cabins up to 18 months out to guarantee inventory and lower prices for their clients. If the price of the cruise drops, then the prices on the groups can also drop. Because they buy in volume, they are able to offer perks like OBC, pre-paid gratuities, and gifts. They also can book your shore excursions, do your online checkin, etc. Some people appreciate the service.:)

Yes, I have had bad TAs. But there are some gems out there that will provide very good service, and are available other that M-F 9-5.;)

You will see differant opinions on this subject depending on ones personal preferance. If your fortunate to get a great TA, then you don't have to worry, they will alert you to price changes, get to know your personal preferances. We have used ours for the 4 cruises and she has been able to get terrific prices for us. If you choose a TA make sure they don't charge a Commission. If we didn't use her then I would go directly with the cruise lines.

How do you think the TAs make their money? Are you perhaps thinking of junk fees such as document or cancellation fees? I agree that one should avoid those, but if the TA isn't getting a commission, they aren't making any money.

I think most experienced cruisers do fine booking on their own with RCI and monitoring prices/cabin availability. Other lines, such as Princess, allow TAs to discount their prices, so just from a basic pricing standpoint it could pay to use a TA.

RCI often gives TAs incentives to sell cruises - they give Group Amenity Points, worth about $25 per point. The TA can choose how to apply the points - onboard credit, dinner at a specialty restaurant, a bottle of wine, etc. That does not come out of the TA's commission, so everybody on the purchasing side is happy:). Those are only available for group bookings. I'm recall seeing that RCI is now allowing individuals to book groups directly again, but can't remember where I saw that or if it's true.:confused:

I do recall reading here about a year ago that somebody who wanted to transfer a booking made with a large agency couldn't do it because she'd been booked into a group without her knowledge and the agency wouldn't let her out of it. Presumably she could have cancelled and booked something else, but the agency had a cancellation fee. So there are questions to ask the TA before they have your deposit money.

As for complaining about how a price drop affects commission, that's just unprofessional. I love to save money, whether it's for myself or my client.

If you choose a TA make sure they don't charge a Commission.

I agree with Jean. How do you think TAs make their money? :confused: There is commission built into every cruise price, whether you book direct or with a TA. It is a certain percentage of the cruise fare, before port fees/taxes are added on.

And really, the commission is not all that much, especially if the TA only makes 40% of it, while the company they work for makes 60%.:rolleyes:

Any TA that would complain about their commission dropping with a price drop is not one that I would want to do business with. All they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot.;)

Perhaps I worded it wrong, I am sure they are getting their money from the bookings they do. A couple who were on our last Cruise, ran into a big snag with their TA . The woman, charged to their credit card, her commission, plus final payment, but never sent the money into RCL. When they went to print out their Set Sail they were unable to due to cancellation of their Cruise, after numerous calls they finally got ahold of her to learn their payment was never made, now we are 1 month out of sailing. Long story short, the TA had to make good the Deposit + final payment and our friends were reinstated back in their room which RCL held and didn't release for booking. Our TA calls in final payment directly to the Cruise lines and gives them the authorization to charge the amount, and I receive within 5 days a statement showing the payment and any balance. I know this because I check our Credit Card online and it is always to the Cruise lines.

Perhaps I worded it wrong, I am sure they are getting their money from the bookings they do. A couple who were on our last Cruise, ran into a big snag with their TA . The woman, charged to their credit card, her commission, plus final payment, but never sent the money into RCL. When they went to print out their Set Sail they were unable to due to cancellation of their Cruise, after numerous calls they finally got ahold of her to learn their payment was never made, now we are 1 month out of sailing. Long story short, the TA had to make good the Deposit + final payment and our friends were reinstated back in their room which RCL held and didn't release for booking. Our TA calls in final payment directly to the Cruise lines and gives them the authorization to charge the amount, and I receive within 5 days a statement showing the payment and any balance. I know this because I check our Credit Card online and it is always to the Cruise lines.

Then that was a dishonest TA. I've encountered those, too. I'm glad your's is good.;)

I use a travel agent who only specializes in cruises. Her knowledge is worth her weight in gold. If you find somebody good, latch onto them. A few years ago Royal Caribbean use to allow agents to discount their cruises, but they stopped allowing agents to do so. So now since my agent can't discount the cruise, she gives me the money in the form of a on board credit. Since my agent only does cruises, she cruises a lot herself. I've called her on numerous ocassions with questions regarding specific ports and she has always been right on the money.

As you can tell from my signature we have been on numerous cruises and I'm looking for our next one (a 3 night for just hubby and I out of Miami).

I can usually find a good deal since I check RCCL web site religiously most days and have never used a TA.

So I'm now wondering what advantages are there for using a TA? Can you get a better deal and if so, how do you find a reputable one? I would assume there must be a commission/fee in going this route so is it really worth it if you don't already have an established relationship with a TA?

We always use the TA for our big holidays. He has looked after us for years.

We always check the prices online though to make sure of what we should be paying.

For example on our cruise next Dec he got us for UK £100 (approxUS$140)

less than the cheapest online price. And as well they're organising a coach to take the local bookings to the airport and back included in the price. The return fare to the airport would have cost another £130 by transfer taxi.

I'm in the "find a good one and hold" on category.

Our TA has done all out cruises. I call, tell her what cabin and where (she knows "midships") and forget about it until we go. She does price changes, revisions, etc.

I do our air travel, hotels and limos/car rentals myself but that's just because I'm anal.

For a 3 night cruise it will be a disadvantage. If there's a price reduction you can't RCL immediately to take advantage. You have to wait for your TA to do anything. On a 3 nighter you won't get any perks from a TA so I wouldn't bother.

Unfortunately I have to say a lot of the value of travel agents has been taken away.

You used to be able to get an onboard credit or a gift. Good service but like others have said it's really hard to find.

EXCEPTION: some discount agencies or agencies in general will book group space and get charter air and be able to sell a cruise at a discount. The way you can tell the difference is if the agency only has specific dates, they are probably doing this. If they are offering any date, any cruise line, well... you can do this yourself. But if they have block space, charter air, it's only going to be for a few specific sailings so they might be a good deal-so check into it. The service may not be great but you've got to decide if you want to save $$$ or get a little more service (maybe not even get more service-who knows these days!) from the agency or cruise line.

dirtgirl we have a wonderful TA and will stay with her. I was talking to her about possibly doing a Med/TA for 2011( b2b) as our friends are this Nov and gave her the price they are paying which I thought was good ( 7 day Cruise /Med + 14 Day TA) plus 1 nite Hotel and Air and she came back saying that seemed high. We all book our way based upon what works best for us, so that is the important thing.

If you use a TA, THEY own the reservation---I like to "own" my own booking! I don't want to have to contact a "3rd party" to ask a question, make a change or whatever! I always book through the cruiseline.

These are the exact reasons why I book direct too.

For a 3 night cruise it will be a disadvantage. If there's a price reduction you can't RCL immediately to take advantage. You have to wait for your TA to do anything. On a 3 nighter you won't get any perks from a TA so I wouldn't bother.

Not necessarily true. If RCI is offering group amenity points, a TA could offer OBC or other perks. We have booked with a TA that always offers OBC, depending on the price of the cruise. For 3 nights we've gotten as little as $25 and as much as $350 (we splurged on the RS just once to see how we liked it - it suited us).

It can pay to shop around a bit, although I wouldn't spend a lot of time chasing $25.

Not necessarily true. If RCI is offering group amenity points, a TA could offer OBC or other perks. We have booked with a TA that always offers OBC, depending on the price of the cruise. For 3 nights we've gotten as little as $25 and as much as $350 (we splurged on the RS just once to see how we liked it - it suited us).

It can pay to shop around a bit, although I wouldn't spend a lot of time chasing $25.

Good to know. Most 3 or 4 night cruises are so cheap there's no room for a TA to give anything away. Sometimes I have given my booking to a TA just before final payment for a longer cruise for some OBC .

for our last 2 cruises we've used a TA. wasn't going to for the last one, since RC doesn't discount. i called RC told them that i saw one TA on-line giving pre-paid tips as an incentive, they told me that they at RC could not do it. i then called the TA we used for a previous cruise, she looked into it and got the same deal for us.

I have always used an online travel agent who specializes in cruises and offers some type of incentive :D (free insurance, pre-paid gratuities and/or onboard credit). I have never had a problem with having prices adjusted or getting cabin upgrades due to a drop in price. Just booked a 7 day on Freedom for 3. Got prepaid gratuities for two of us + a $75 on board credit.

As far as commissions go, I would assume that is how the reservation dept. at RCCL gets paid too.

Using a TA has many benefits. As a TA I hate to hear of horry stories from people on these sites. I take pride in my clients and I personnally review them to see if the price drops. I am happy when a price drops for clients and I am able to contact them and advise them. They know I am looking out for them. I have a lot of repeat business b/c uf this. A reputable agent will not charge "fees" to book your vacation. We are paid by the cruise lines. We can at times offer OBC. My agency is rather large so we are able to secure many sailings to offer the client the best pricing. The most value for using a TA at least my clients they have me from the beginning stages all the way through the end until they are home. Any issues I handle. You have the backing of an agency if any problems arise. People have to be careful with the web agency b/c you may not deal always with the same agent. No one "owns" anything. We just handle any changes so not too many hands are in the reservation b/c that is how things will get messed up. I do my clients online check in, assist in shore excursions anything that they need I am there. Most of my clients have my cell number so if our office is closed they can still get a hold of me.

I have always used an online travel agent who specializes in cruises and offers some type of incentive :D (free insurance, pre-paid gratuities and/or onboard credit). I have never had a problem with having prices adjusted or getting cabin upgrades due to a drop in price. Just booked a 7 day on Freedom for 3. Got prepaid gratuities for two of us + a $75 on board credit.

As far as commissions go, I would assume that is how the reservation dept. at RCCL gets paid too.

I always used an on line ta too (cruise Value) until they went bely up and took all my money. RC stood by me and so did the Credit Card co....so now I am in the market of looking for a new TA

Archived