Need some help

We have never tried the alternative dining options and want to try one of them out on our next cruise in June on Freedom (eastern) and the other in August on Liberty (eastern). My question to you guys would be what night would you suggest as the best night to not be in the MDR?

First let me preface this by saying I can't believe that I am anwering this considering I've been on 4 cruises and you've been on more than 10....

My opinion is that I like to dine in the MDR on the first and last nights for sure, I also like the lobster night - or whatever it's now referred to but I too have trouble figuring out when that is. I think its the last formal night if I'm not mistaken. We are eating at Chops on the 2nd night of our upcoming cruise which is also the first formal night. I want to eat at Portofinos also one night but not sure when we should do that either - I think maybe mid cruise is best? Anyway - good luck.

We like to see and meet our tablemates--there have been times when we've so enjoyed them, that we simply don't use the "specialty" restaurants, because we don't want to miss a night of dining with our new "friends"!

We've found that the last night usually has the poorest menu choices in the MDR (again, this is our opinion). So, since we have late seating, we book the specialty restaurant for about 7 p.m. - this gives us plenty of time to have dinner then join our tablemates for coffee in the MDR, say our goodbyes, hand out tip envelopes, etc. It's a win-win situation.

We like to see and meet our tablemates--there have been times when we've so enjoyed them, that we simply don't use the "specialty" restaurants, because we don't want to miss a night of dining with our new "friends"!

I agree... our last cruise was great we meet some great friends and keep in touch with them all the time now. I make sure we do not miss formal night. To me that is one of the fun things about a cruise....So if you are going to pick a night make sure it is not the formal night....

We have never tried the alternative dining options and want to try one of them out on our next cruise in June on Freedom (eastern) and the other in August on Liberty (eastern). My question to you guys would be what night would you suggest as the best night to not be in the MDR?

Italian night!

Saturday night is always hard to get a reservation, but Friday night is usually open. We missed the lobster because we were in Portofino. That's OK, because now the lobster is just a small tail...almost the size of a crawfish.:rolleyes:

We always travel with either friends or family, so I know who my table mates are, but we are kinda leaning towards doing Specialty Dining on a formal night. On the last cruise on the Indy we did one formal night in the MDR and one in Chops. I dont mind dressing up and think if its a formal night you should dress up, but we are leaning towards an alternative for one if not both in the future. Its less to pack and to be honest I am more comfortable in dockers and a polo shirt than a suit. We have done formal nights on every other cruise but this last one and didnt miss it....:rolleyes:

We always travel with either friends or family, so I know who my table mates are, but we are kinda leaning towards doing Specialty Dining on a formal night. On the last cruise on the Indy we did one formal night in the MDR and one in Chops. I dont mind dressing up and think if its a formal night you should dress up, but we are leaning towards an alternative for one if not both in the future. Its less to pack and to be honest I am more comfortable in dockers and a polo shirt than a suit. We have done formal nights on every other cruise but this last one and didnt miss it....:rolleyes:

We ate in Portofino for our Friday formal night and wore exactly what we would have worn in the dining room. Most everyone had on formal attire, which is what they should have been wearing. ;) The specialty restaurants are more formal than the dining room in atmosphere. One guy had on a Hawaiian shirt, which looked out of place, although the Hawaiian shirt is considered formal in Hawaii. :D

Archived