Sea Princess vs. Island Princess thru Panama

O2Bcrusin

We are planning our first Panama Canal Cruise. We are looking at two different dates and ships. The dates are both in Sept one being mid September and the other about 9 days later. The Sea Princess has a better price but is that due to the ship not being as desirable? Does anyone have experience with either one of these ships? We are seasoned cruisers but have never done the Panama. Would appreciate any input anyone has.

I've been on sisters to both of those ships.

Generally, I would say Island Princess would be my pick, unless I was going to be traveling in a mini-suite, then I would choose Sea Princess.

Opinions can be very subjective.

The Coral/Island were specifically designed for the Panama Canal cruise, and have better viewing venues. For sun lovers, the tiered balcony design is more open than Sea Princess's "hull cut" balconies.

Generally speaking, with the exception of the mini-suites, cabins on the Island seem roomier. Balconies are larger on Island than on Sea.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think Island is a prettier ship.

Reference higher cost, you have to decide if you think it is worth it.

We are planning our first Panama Canal Cruise. We are looking at two different dates and ships. The dates are both in Sept one being mid September and the other about 9 days later. The Sea Princess has a better price but is that due to the ship not being as desirable? Does anyone have experience with either one of these ships? We are seasoned cruisers but have never done the Panama. Would appreciate any input anyone has.

Hi there karin: I also agree with Druke in that I have been on the Coral(sister to Island) and while I have not been on the Sea but have been on the Sun(sister) I also much prefer the Coral/Island to the Sea for the reasons that Druke gave. Love that ship. Have been on the Coral 5 times and will be on her next month again doing a full transit. Have also been on her doing another full transit and an partial transit. I find that the Coral/Island are so much easier to get around for some reason.

Marilyn

I have cruised on both of those ships, and while both are lovely ships, I too would opt for the Island. There's something about the Island that I was just more comfortable with. Maybe it's the layout.

But if there is a significant difference in pricing, I do think you would be happy with the Sea. She's older, and the balconies are cut from the hull, so don't have the open feeling that the ones on the Island have.

Are you planning to do a full or a partial transit?

We've done the Panama Canal twice: The first time on the Sun (sister to Sea) and the second time on the Coral (sister to the Island). The two ships are night and day. The Coral/Island feels very open and has a lot of the features of the Grand class ships i.e. two specialty restaurants, than the Sea. The only thing the Sea has that the Island doesn't have is Movies under the Stars.

Even at a difference in price, I would choose the Island. Larger staterooms and a much nicer spa.

The Panama Canal is awesome regardless of which ship, but we won't go again unless it is on the Coral/Island.

I would go Island, [i like it's sister ship Coral]. However there is one intangible however. Sea Princess is favoured by the 'Brits', and I, being one might be tempted to sail with them. An odd reason I know for choosing a ship.

john

Thanks to all of you for your input. That is just what I needed. We have a reservation on the Sea but a friend (who we may cruise with) also said the Island was a nicer ship. For whoever asked, we are doing a full transit for 15 days so the ship would be an important factor. Thanks again. You have all really helped.

I have sailed on both ships, and would pick the Island, without a doubt and even if more expensive. It is larger, newer, and the pools were warm and hot tubs hot! (Not so on the Sea Princess). Also, there is a covered pool area on the Island that is SO relaxing. The Sea Princess is going into dry dock in Sept., I believe? We did the 2 wk. Caribbean on her out of Mo Bay, and the itinerary was awesome, as well as being on the ship for both Christmas and New Year's. Thought of something else.............we had inside cabins on both, and the size and design of the one on the Island was much better. We didn't care for the MUTTS at all. It was just plain irritating on such a small ship with the silly thing at the only real pool area. Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun! (As you will, on either ship!):D

Julie

Thanks to all of you for your input. That is just what I needed. We have a reservation on the Sea but a friend (who we may cruise with) also said the Island was a nicer ship. For whoever asked, we are doing a full transit for 15 days so the ship would be an important factor. Thanks again. You have all really helped.

hmmmm.... well hands down if your friends are sailing on the island, you HAVE to join them - plus your friends sound like very SMART people..

And good looking too..

signed "your friends"

hmmmm.... well hands down if your friends are sailing on the island, you HAVE to join them - plus your friends sound like very SMART people..

And good looking too..

signed "your friends"

You are too funny "friend".

We've sailed both and like both ships. Major difference is Sea is older and has in-hull balconies thus making the cabins smaller and makes you feel like you are in a can peering over the side. Island is newer, has extended balconies with plexi-glass you can see through. The Sea has a pizzaria as a separate restaurant and Stella on tap. They are both nice ships. For the Panama Canal I'd choose the Island and for longer cruises in the Mediterranean, the Sea.

And good looking too..

signed "your friends"

Vickie

That's the cruise we want to do! When are you thinking of going? (No privacy here on CC :eek:)

Vickie

That's the cruise we want to do! When are you thinking of going? (No privacy here on CC :eek:)

Hello Karen, funny you tracked me down here too. I just added you on facebook too.

We are looking at the sept 14 on the Island that stops in San Fran on the 16th then continues on thru the panama. Karin (the one that started this thread) is on the 25th sailing currently on the Sea but we are trying to get her to "jump ship" on to this one. Another couple we know too is thinking of coming. More the merrier - but tell Allen no volcanos to hike this time!

Hello Karen, funny you tracked me down here too. I just added you on facebook too.

We are looking at the sept 14 on the Island that stops in San Fran on the 16th then continues on thru the panama. Karin (the one that started this thread) is on the 25th sailing currently on the Sea but we are trying to get her to "jump ship" on to this one. Another couple we know too is thinking of coming. More the merrier - but tell Allen no volcanos to hike this time!

Hi Vickie

We were looking at Jan or Feb. Originally looked at Feb. 5 (or 6th , I'm not sure), but Brian said they are looking at Jan. 5 so we were thinking of switching. Allan usually can't take that much time off when the weather is good, but I will ask him.

Another thing to consider is that the Sea is about 15,000 tons smaller than the Island and carries only 20 less passengers. You'll find alot more elbow room on the Island. :) I'd have to agree with most of the others... I'd take the Island...

I would go Island, [i like it's sister ship Coral]. However there is one intangible however. Sea Princess is favoured by the 'Brits', and I, being one might be tempted to sail with them. An odd reason I know for choosing a ship. john

John .... Not odd to us at all! We've picked other cruises on SEA PRICESS because of sailing with lots of Brits! :)

Still, on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise ... we booked Island Princess.

John .... Not odd to us at all! We've picked other cruises on SEA PRICESS because of sailing with lots of Brits!

Glad to hear it.:) My only problem was that I have been in Canada for such a long time that I found them hard to understand.

However, while having breakfast in the Horizon, while docked in Barbados, we met up with a charming Negro couple, who I was able to understand perfectly. Yes, they were Brits, 'But' I asked, 'Where were you from origionally?' The answer, 'Barbados!!!:)

john

Archived