Safe Question

VikingChick

I know this may sound a little harsh but I have a question about the safes in the room.

Okay, if the safe just opens with a card with a magnetic strip, who's to say that the room steward or anyone else with access to your room can't open your safe too. Isn't that why you put your DL, CC and $ in the safe...so it's safe from everyone else?

It's been almost 10 years since the last time I've cruised and I really can't remember what the safes were like in the room anyhow. I am not the overly paranoid type person that is likely to accuse someone of stealing my stuff, but unfortunately my DH (who has never cruised before) is slightly worried about this. So to ease his mind I told him I would find out.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

The magnetic strip has information embedded in it. It (the safe) is reading that embedded information.

If you use your grocery card to lock the safe, I can't come along and use my grocery card to open the safe because we have different embedded information on our magnetic strips.

I know this may sound a little harsh but I have a question about the safes in the room.

Okay, if the safe just opens with a card with a magnetic strip, who's to say that the room steward or anyone else with access to your room can't open your safe too. Isn't that why you put your DL, CC and $ in the safe...so it's safe from everyone else?

It's been almost 10 years since the last time I've cruised and I really can't remember what the safes were like in the room anyhow. I am not the overly paranoid type person that is likely to accuse someone of stealing my stuff, but unfortunately my DH (who has never cruised before) is slightly worried about this. So to ease his mind I told him I would find out.

It will open ONLY with the card you first use. The only folks who can open your safe without using your card are those in security....which is handy if you lose the card you used....

Your cabin steward has no access to it in any way, shape or form.

FYI: I have recently completed my 64th Carnival Cruise and have well over 250 cruises under my belt over the past 34 years or so.. I've never had anything stolen or missing from my cabin......ever......

As stated, it takes the exact same card which you locked it with, to open it again.

What would be the purpose of the safe if anyone could swipe any card to open it ??

Not all Carnival ships are using the mag stripe...

The Fantasy and the Splendor, the last two Carnival ships I've sailed on, both had keypads for access:

IMG_2822.jpg

OP: the only way anyone could get into your safe is if you accidently leave the card you used there and out for anyone to pick up. You're not likely to do that.

As for the safes with a combo lock, I'd be less worried about losing my magnetic card than I would of forgetting the code I programmed! LOL..my mind isn't what it used to be.;)

It will open ONLY with the card you first use. The only folks who can open your safe without using your card are those in security....which is handy if you lose the card you used....

Your cabin steward has no access to it in any way' date=' shape or form.

FYI: I have recently completed my 64th Carnival Cruise and have well over 250 cruises under my belt over the past 34 years or so.. I've never had anything stolen or missing from my cabin......ever......[/quote']

that is alot of cruises.

I have another suggestion that is a little different than the others offered. It is an alternative to using the cabin safe. A couple of years ago, I bought a Drypak bag just for cruising. It is a waterproof (not water resistant, but waterproof to 10 feet underwater) bag that you can take anywhere. I use this for wallets, passports, cameras, and anything else that I value. I've taken this Drypak bag in the ocean, to the pool, etc. and everything stays dry. I googled waterproof bags before deciding which bag to buy and chose this one after doing that research. It is well worth the money in my opinion. I just feel better keeping my stuff with me. It sounds like your DH might feel the same way.

I didn't buy mine at this website, but it has a good picture:

http://www.ebags.com/dry_pak/multi_purpose_waterproof_nylon_case_12x16x4/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=124474

Drypak makes lots of sizes and configurations of these bags, but I chose this one for my needs. I especially like the outside mesh pocket where I can keep my sail n sign card handy while at the pool. Mine has never leaked.

Just a suggestion................Enjoy your cruise!

Most ships have the magnetic strip safes. As Mach said, Fantasy is one that uses a keypad. I actually prefer the keypad, as DH and I use a number we also use at home for our garage door keypad. I also have never had anything stolen from our cabin or a hotel room for that matter.

I would worry a lot more about carrying all my valuables ashore with me all day. You're much more likely to have someone steal from you while walking around town than you are to have something taken from your cabin. For that matter, not all your fellow cruisers are honest either and falling asleep on deck with a waterproof bag nearby will not protect your valuables.

To answer the OP's question though, the safes are very secure.

that is alot of cruises.

I've been blessed. My career was in the travel industry and I spent years as a Tour Director/Cruise Host which gave me many travel and cruise opportunities.

Two summers were spent onboard ships doing back-to-back Alaska cruises. Also contracted with a huge tour operator that only did tours for alumni and professional associations....couple of years spent doing European cruises throughout the Med, Aegean and most of the major Rivers.... Worked back-to-back fall foliage/10-day Caribbean cruises out of New York and Boston for a couple of years too.

While I was "working", it certainly was a pleasant environment.

I've also cruised 3/4 times a year on my own for many years.... That has sort of come to a halt with this economy, however. I will continue to cruise but not as frequently. If I was a woman of "means" I'd be the crazy old lady who lives onboard the ship....like some we hear of....:D

If I was REALLY rich, you'd send my mail to ResidenSea!!!!!:D

I know this might sound a little harsh, but you can't seriously think the safe would be designed to operate the way you imagined, do you?

:p

If you were to use your sail and sign card to secure your safe, then everyone with a master could access it. Just use a personal credit card. Thirteen cruises here and we have never had anything taken from our room.

So then you carry your credit card with you at all times? To the pool etc. ?

So then you carry your credit card with you at all times? To the pool etc. ?

We use a grocery store card, that if lost wouldn't be a big deal. Most people seem to use empty gift cards, store bonus type cards, etc. I wouldn't recommend a credit card because if you lose it, it's a bigger problem.

Once you set the safe with a magnetic strip card, that's the ONLY card that can open it. So the room steward would need to have YOUR card to open it up.

Trust the Safe - it's the perfect place for your stuff. We just got off the Splendor "rounding the horn" and the safe has a combination now. Just as easy, but you don't need to have the card anymore.

Actually whatever card you lock it with is the only card you can open it with each time. You can use a different card each time you lock it as long as you use the same card, you can unlock it. It's not a "set up" for the entire cruise. It's each time you close it and run a card through-that will be the only card that can open it that time.

Archived