Anyone on board Golden know why it is delayed?

DanaPointBob

I'm not Patty, but I can give you the good news. Right now it's gloomy out, but by Tuesday we're expecting eighty degrees. This is supposed to be the most beautiful week we've had in a long time. You're going to love it!:D

We have had a long hard winter in Alberta, but its +8 celcius this wekend,thank goodness..:)

80 degrees will take me a few days to adjust to, but it will be welcome after -36..lol..

One extreme to the next..guess I wont need my rub ~on lotion tanner..haha!:D

On the Golden as I write!

Thanks Coral for posting that before I could. Had to get to trivia and it was really quite rough in our cabin.

We were also told by our TA for this cruise about the delayed boarding due to the norovirus. They actually started boarding from the Elite lounge about 12:15, which was much earlier than we thought it would be.

The norovirus has been a definite issue on the ship. The first Saturday night they put the rolls back on the table and we could serve ourselves, but that only lasted the one night and then it was back to the deep sanitizing of the ship. As of last night, Friday 13 they lifted the level from red back to yellow. So much easier for the staff now also. Hopefully this will last through the rest of the cruise.

We signed up for the Chef's Table, but there were only 3 other couples that signed up also and then it was canceled due to noro. Now I doubt we will have it since there is so little interest of it on this cruise. I'm disappointed by that as I was looking forward to it.

For anyone who has a full suite booked, be sure and take advantage of the breakfast in Sabatini's. It is delicious and Pedro the Head Waiter in Sabatini's is the best also. We didn't go the first two days, but have been trying to get there every morning. Such a treat and not to be missed.

Last night the Captain said we have been cruising along at 21 knots. It has been really pretty bouncy. We are at the back of the ship in the Grand Suite and we have felt a lot of movement. Right now though the sun is shining and we have the door open to the living room. It is wonderful.

We have thought the food and service on the ship has been wonderful, though there have been so many complaints on this cruise. Talked to the Maitre d' the other morning and he said this cruise has been one of the worst for complaints. Don't know what people are complaining about, but we have had a wonderful time.

Getting back on the ship has been interesting in all the ports in Hawaii. Be sure to always have a picture ID with you along with the cruise card. They have really been tight on the security there, more so than other ports we have been at. Always had to go through the airport type walk through screeners. Very senstive and many women have set off the beepers because of their undergarments, me included. Maui they wand over everyone. Does hold up the lines for getting back on the tenders there. I'm sure this had something to do with us leaving Maui about an hour late.

If there are any questions, I can try to answer. We have the computer in our cabin and it is quite nice also having the wifi in here as well.

Thanks so much for your post.. Hulagirl..your description of your suite, service, etc., has me excited to be aboard!:):)

Thanks, to Patty as well for the quick reply..

I suddenly got the urge to pack this afternoon too..about done.

NOw I just have to book the "Airporter limo ' for Tuesday at 7 AM..lol..

hubby is having trouble sleeping at night..keeps thinking of details..;)

Thanks so much for your post.. Hulagirl..your description of your suite, service, etc., has me excited to be aboard!:):)

Thanks, to Patty as well for the quick reply..

I suddenly got the urge to pack this afternoon too..about done.

NOw I just have to book the "Airporter limo ' for Tuesday at 7 AM..lol..

hubby is having trouble sleeping at night..keeps thinking of details..;)

My husband is having no trouble sleeping...I'm the one who does all the packing. I have a list of things to remember. I've always packed for him, I guess I just don't trust him :) He would grab his suit and a few comfy shirts he likes and think he's done. I feel much better when I know what's gone in the bags. I am very excited now!

Just thought I would post again about the embarkation on Wednesday!

Talked to our cabin steward tonight before we went to dinner. She told us that they are definitely doing another complete sanitation of the ship again on Wednesday before anyone boards. She said they are changing over everything again in the cabins and public areas around the ship. This means even down to the pads of paper will be tossed and started new for the next cruise. They did this with our cruise also, but either someone new came aboard with norovirus or it was still on the ship when we boarded. But another complete round of sanitizing will take place.

It has been quite rough coming back from Hawaii. Like the last cruise, after we left Maui, the ship really did start to rock and roll. We feel it so much at the back of the ship, so it has been nice to be mid ship at times.

Hope this helps for Wednesday so you know what is actually going on. We did get to the pier around 11:10 and weren't turned away. There were quite a few people already there, so we certainly were no where near the first. Talked to a couple that came around 1:30 and they said it was very hectic then to board. Even for those in the Elite lounge they had numbers.

Our new friends Alice and Russ are on this cruise and will be on the next one also. They were the most traveled with 868 days this time. So with another 14 they are adding them up quickly. Very nice people.

Enjoy your cruise.

When we did this cruise a few years ago, the info on the docs said not to arrive before 1pm, but we got there around 12:15pm (and only that late because we had major traffic going south on the 405) and were immediately taken to an available check in clerk. I guess if they forsee having to do a complete cleansing, they just don't want people waiting a long time in the terminal.

Can I ask a favor of those about to go on the Golden on Wednesday? If you get a chance, can you see if any Princess staff will reveal which ship is going to do the Hawaiian sailings in the 2010-11 season? I'm going crazy waiting for the upcoming announcement as we're thinking of doing this cruise again. Thanks in advance.

80 degrees will take me a few days to adjust to, but it will be welcome after -36..lol..

One extreme to the next..guess I wont need my rub ~on lotion tanner..haha!:D

-36 is a bit tough for Calgary, but positively balmy for High Level. Hope you're going for more than a week, since it will take that long in the sun just to get rid of the blue. :)

:DHey Sponge..are you on this tour? Guess I'm not the only insomniac today..lol..

I once lived in Cambridge Bay, NWT..it was cold all the time, and dark for 6 weeks at Christmas..

Have friends who operated "High and Dry" Drycleaners in High level..they moved South as well..smart folks..lol..

Saw your pics of Continental business class..nice!

number one - this ship cant do 31 knots :)

I was kind of wondering about that.... usually only ocean liners can go that fast, since cruise ships aren't built for that kind of speed.

We are on the sailing after next, for April 1st, so I am watching this thread closely ;)

On the Golden as I write!

Thanks Coral for posting that before I could. Had to get to trivia and it was really quite rough in our cabin.

We were also told by our TA for this cruise about the delayed boarding due to the norovirus. They actually started boarding from the Elite lounge about 12:15, which was much earlier than we thought it would be.

The norovirus has been a definite issue on the ship. The first Saturday night they put the rolls back on the table and we could serve ourselves, but that only lasted the one night and then it was back to the deep sanitizing of the ship. As of last night, Friday 13 they lifted the level from red back to yellow. So much easier for the staff now also. Hopefully this will last through the rest of the cruise.

We signed up for the Chef's Table, but there were only 3 other couples that signed up also and then it was canceled due to noro. Now I doubt we will have it since there is so little interest of it on this cruise. I'm disappointed by that as I was looking forward to it.

For anyone who has a full suite booked, be sure and take advantage of the breakfast in Sabatini's. It is delicious and Pedro the Head Waiter in Sabatini's is the best also. We didn't go the first two days, but have been trying to get there every morning. Such a treat and not to be missed.

Last night the Captain said we have been cruising along at 21 knots. It has been really pretty bouncy. We are at the back of the ship in the Grand Suite and we have felt a lot of movement. Right now though the sun is shining and we have the door open to the living room. It is wonderful.

We have thought the food and service on the ship has been wonderful, though there have been so many complaints on this cruise. Talked to the Maitre d' the other morning and he said this cruise has been one of the worst for complaints. Don't know what people are complaining about, but we have had a wonderful time.

Getting back on the ship has been interesting in all the ports in Hawaii. Be sure to always have a picture ID with you along with the cruise card. They have really been tight on the security there, more so than other ports we have been at. Always had to go through the airport type walk through screeners. Very senstive and many women have set off the beepers because of their undergarments, me included. Maui they wand over everyone. Does hold up the lines for getting back on the tenders there. I'm sure this had something to do with us leaving Maui about an hour late.

If there are any questions, I can try to answer. We have the computer in our cabin and it is quite nice also having the wifi in here as well.

Hi Hulagirl,

Thanks for writing. We were on the cruise before you and so can relive a little. We had REALLY rough seas and the noro also, but the staff was wonderful. Tell Angelo (MaitreD') that the people with all the wine (late seating) say hello and we hope to see him in the future. Sorry about all the complainers. As I said, the staff works SO hard, I don't understand what there is to complain about.:confused:

Karen:

I followed your posts closely from your cruise also. The norovirus thing really did hit the ship. We thought the first weekend we were going to be done with it, but unfortunately that didn't happen. But so far it is looking good.

The cruise has been excellent, but there have been such a group of complainers on the ship. We are going to the Maitre d' wine tasting today, so I will pass on your messaage.

Was a bit disappointed that the Chef's Table wasn't a go on this cruise. Initially only 4 couples (us being one) signed up for the Chef's Table for this cruise. Now that shocked me because it is usually a waitlist for it. Then noro broke out and of course they had to cancel, hoping that we would have it on the way back to California. Not going to happen now because there is only one other couple that wants it other than us. When the 2 other couples found out they had to pay for it, then they decided to back out. The Maitre d' was quite surprised about this also. Hopefully another cruise.

The weather has been pretty cool on this cruise. Going and coming to Hawaii have not been warm. Today is only 61 degrees out and a pretty good wind, so people are dressed outside for walking around the deck looking like we are in Alaska. So not a warm cruise at all.

Not too many more days in this beautiful cabin. It has been a nice cruise and we have met some wonderful new friends. Wish everyone on board was as happy about the cruise as we have been.

Thanks Hulagirl for all the great info. We are on the last sailing 4/1 and

I have been concerned about all the talk about the noro problem. That

can really ruin a nice vacation for those that come down with it as well

as putting up with all the precautions for everyone else. I have been

watching the "marine weather" on the underground weather website

and there was quite a large disturbance over and west of the islands

about the time you left Maui, but when you watch the antimated

version, it looks to get smoother everyday from now on AND warmer

and for the next group going out next Wed, the seas look exceptionally

smooth. It's about time. I know the last several cruises have been

rough. So, enjoy the next few days and keep us updated. The only

questions I have is that I really would like for my DH to be able to take

the "ultimate Ships Tour". Has this been really crowded and where and

how soon should one sign up? Thanks for the info, if you can find out!

Cindy

Karen:

I followed your posts closely from your cruise also. The norovirus thing really did hit the ship. We thought the first weekend we were going to be done with it, but unfortunately that didn't happen. But so far it is looking good.

The cruise has been excellent, but there have been such a group of complainers on the ship. We are going to the Maitre d' wine tasting today, so I will pass on your messaage.

Was a bit disappointed that the Chef's Table wasn't a go on this cruise. Initially only 4 couples (us being one) signed up for the Chef's Table for this cruise. Now that shocked me because it is usually a waitlist for it. Then noro broke out and of course they had to cancel, hoping that we would have it on the way back to California. Not going to happen now because there is only one other couple that wants it other than us. When the 2 other couples found out they had to pay for it, then they decided to back out. The Maitre d' was quite surprised about this also. Hopefully another cruise.

The weather has been pretty cool on this cruise. Going and coming to Hawaii have not been warm. Today is only 61 degrees out and a pretty good wind, so people are dressed outside for walking around the deck looking like we are in Alaska. So not a warm cruise at all.

Not too many more days in this beautiful cabin. It has been a nice cruise and we have met some wonderful new friends. Wish everyone on board was as happy about the cruise as we have been.

Ignore all the complainers and have a GREAT time!

We also felt the weather was kind of cold, cloudy and WINDY most of the cruise but we both came back with deep tans!:confused: We usually were able to find someplace with no or minimal wind and if we lay down on the loungers the sun made it feel a lot warmer.

Have you participated in the ukulele classes? We really loved those. Dave Cole is the most organized cruise director I've encountered, although we haven't cruised as often as you.

The breakfast in Sabatini's sounds wonderful! I will keep that in mind as an incentive to book a suite!

We did have a chef's table at the beginning of our cruise BNV (before Noro Virus) but we are vegetarians and I asked the Maitre D' and he said it would be a waste for us to attend. You will just have to save the experience for next time.:D;)

Oh, this may be silly, but I make it a point not to touch anything I don't have to (railings on stairways, elevator button with knuckle, etc.) on the ship. May help in not catching the NV. Also, maybe just lucky.

Thanks for writing about your cruise. It brings back nice memories for us.

As I said ENJOY!!!

Thanks Hulagirl for all the great info. We are on the last sailing 4/1 and

I have been concerned about all the talk about the noro problem. That

can really ruin a nice vacation for those that come down with it as well

as putting up with all the precautions for everyone else. I have been

watching the "marine weather" on the underground weather website

and there was quite a large disturbance over and west of the islands

about the time you left Maui, but when you watch the antimated

version, it looks to get smoother everyday from now on AND warmer

and for the next group going out next Wed, the seas look exceptionally

smooth. It's about time. I know the last several cruises have been

rough. So, enjoy the next few days and keep us updated. The only

questions I have is that I really would like for my DH to be able to take

the "ultimate Ships Tour". Has this been really crowded and where and

how soon should one sign up? Thanks for the info, if you can find out!

Cindy

You sign up with the Pursers desk when you get on the ship. Someone I made friends on our cruise took it and loved it. She didn't sign up until midway through the cruise so don't worry. However, if you still have Noro on the ship they won't do the tour.:(

You sign up with the Pursers desk when you get on the ship. Someone I made friends on our cruise took it and loved it. She didn't sign up until midway through the cruise so don't worry. However, if you still have Noro on the ship they won't do the tour.:(

Thank you for the reply. My DH will be 84 in June and he has a vast

nautical background and would love this tour. At his age, I want him

to enjoy everything he can because at the moment, he is in excellent

health, is very active and enjoys life to the fullest, so wish me luck in

getting him a spot on that tour. Hopefully, and surely, after a second

cleaning, they will get this noro under control Hope so.

Thanks again, Cindy

I see Karen answered about the ships tour. I have no idea if they were able to do it on this cruise or not. If so, it would have been only in the last day or so. I have no idea if they need as minimum amount of people for that like they do for the Chef's Table. If so, I have a feeling they may not have had enough want to spend the money on this cruise. Now that said, Bingo is raking them in.

Also agree with not touching anything. We don't touch railings at all and push the elevator buttons with our knuckles. As soon as we are back in the cabin we wash our hands before doing anything, just in case. I do that at home anyway, so no different. Just don't want to take any chances. The Capt. has come on the speaker system twice into the cabins asking people to take every precaution they can and to wash and use good habits for cleanliness. Also we have had 2 flyers delivered to the cabins about this too. Still, it can break out. Hopefully this will be the end of the virus for this ship for quite a while.

Have had a wonderful cruise in spite of the complainers. Just turn and go the other way.

The three top most traveled cruisers from our cruise are staying on for the March 18 cruise. They start well into the 700 days and go upwards by quite a bit. It will take us a long time to compete with that.

A cruise ship that does 31knots :confused:, only if it's a Nimitz class carrier :eek::confused::eek::confused:

Bob

I was kind of wondering about that.... usually only ocean liners can go that fast, since cruise ships aren't built for that kind of speed.

We are on the sailing after next, for April 1st, so I am watching this thread closely

The Grand Voyager, cruise speed is 28knt, top speed in the mid 30's

Hi Hulagirl,

Thanks for writing. We were on the cruise before you and so can relive a little. We had REALLY rough seas and the noro also, but the staff was wonderful. Tell Angelo (MaitreD') that the people with all the wine (late seating) say hello and we hope to see him in the future. Sorry about all the complainers. As I said, the staff works SO hard, I don't understand what there is to complain about.:confused:

I figured I would fine you over here Karen :) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Just so you all know Karen had our Cabin C752 before us and left us a lovely surprise of Champagne and Beer! Karen, our cabin attendant brought it to us, LOL she said you were insistent we got it!:D

It was a wonderful cruise I loved the motion of the ocean so I was in the right cabin!:eek: We had extended family health issues that happened the day we left but were assured all was well so the champagne was enjoyed.

:D

The Noro Virus was there but really didn't cause us a problem. I very rarely touched railings and washed my hands continually. If you follow their directions I think your pretty safe. I think it's a common sense thing.

That poor crew were continually washing walls and floors, most of them told me they have never gotten Noro.

We had some great excursions on of my favorites was Captain Zodiac Rafting and Snorkel, soon as we arrived in Hilo we jumped on a 20 passenger bus and headed for Kona. The problem is it's 2 hours over but the scenery was wonderful!! The ride in the zodiac was off the charts fun...wet wild and crazy! Good snorkeling, Lunch and back to Hilo, this is an all day thing and with 4 hours of bus time it was still worth it to me. We saw whales galore, turtles and amazing fish! Really had a good time. I would only do this one through Princess though you really do cut the times close, I wish they would go to Kona again.

The other fun one was Tubing the Hanamaulu Ditch in Kauai, You grab a tube and a head lamp and float down 2miles through open ditches tunnels and flumes! Lots of laughing and giggling on this one. You can get going at a pretty good pace on some of these and you just can't control a tube!

Anyway I'm tired but I had too come and find Karen and tell her, Thank you so much for being so thoughtful!

Dianne

I figured I would fine you over here Karen :) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Just so you all know Karen had our Cabin C752 before us and left us a lovely surprise of Champagne and Beer! Karen, our cabin attendant brought it to us, LOL she said you were insistent we got it!:D

It was a wonderful cruise I loved the motion of the ocean so I was in the right cabin!:eek: We had extended family health issues that happened the day we left but were assured all was well so the champagne was enjoyed.

:D

The Noro Virus was there but really didn't cause us a problem. I very rarely touched railings and washed my hands continually. If you follow their directions I think your pretty safe. I think it's a common sense thing.

That poor crew were continually washing walls and floors, most of them told me they have never gotten Noro.

We had some great excursions on of my favorites was Captain Zodiac Rafting and Snorkel, soon as we arrived in Hilo we jumped on a 20 passenger bus and headed for Kona. The problem is it's 2 hours over but the scenery was wonderful!! The ride in the zodiac was off the charts fun...wet wild and crazy! Good snorkeling, Lunch and back to Hilo, this is an all day thing and with 4 hours of bus time it was still worth it to me. We saw whales galore, turtles and amazing fish! Really had a good time. I would only do this one through Princess though you really do cut the times close, I wish they would go to Kona again.

The other fun one was Tubing the Hanamaulu Ditch in Kauai, You grab a tube and a head lamp and float down 2miles through open ditches tunnels and flumes! Lots of laughing and giggling on this one. You can get going at a pretty good pace on some of these and you just can't control a tube!

Anyway I'm tired but I had too come and find Karen and tell her, Thank you so much for being so thoughtful!

Dianne

You're welcome! It was so much fun to be able to do!:D

I hope all of the health issues in your family are resolved and that everyone is healthy now!

Archived