What happens if Princess won't allow you to board because of a cold?

burm

Last year while we waited to board the Constellation there was a woman with a nasty cold standing in the very crowded space with us. She hacked and wheezed all over us (to the point where DH's arm was wet) and sure enough, DH came down with a cold after the normal incubation period.

After spraying us this lady went to the counter and signed a document saying that she had no infectious illnesses. :eek:

What happens if the cruiseline does not let you board? Do they refund the entire cost of the cruise?

Princess Contract:

Carrier may without liability for refund, payment or compensation, except as provided herein, disembark or refuse to embark You, confine You in a stateroom, quarantine You, restrain You, change Your accommodations or disembark You at any time if, in the sole opinion of Carrier, the Captain or any Doctor, You or any minor or other person in Your care during the Cruise are unfit for any reason for the Cruise, or Your presence might be detrimental to Your health, comfort or safety or that of any other person. Carrier reserves the right to request a letter from Your physician attesting to Your fitness to travel, but by requesting such letter does not waive its right to disembark or refuse to embark You as set forth in this paragraph.

They can claim from their travel insurance. May be if you had sneaked a peek at their name, you could have told the Purser (for whatever good it would have done!).

What happens if the cruiseline does not let you board? Do they refund the entire cost of the cruise?

Princess Contract:

Carrier may without liability for refund, payment or compensation, except as provided herein, disembark or refuse to embark You, confine You in a stateroom, quarantine You, restrain You, change Your accommodations or disembark You at any time if, in the sole opinion of Carrier, the Captain or any Doctor, You or any minor or other person in Your care during the Cruise are unfit for any reason for the Cruise, or Your presence might be detrimental to Your health, comfort or safety or that of any other person. Carrier reserves the right to request a letter from Your physician attesting to Your fitness to travel, but by requesting such letter does not waive its right to disembark or refuse to embark You as set forth in this paragraph.

They can claim from their travel insurance. May be if you had sneaked a peek at their name, you could have told the Purser (for whatever good it would have done!).

Thank you for your answer.

I have always been paranoid about coughers and sneezers around me before I cruise. How awful to plan and dream about your cruise for months and then be refused embarkation. That is my worst nightmare!

The lady that I mention was so obviously sick though, that I can't imagine how she slipped past.

Hi- What a rotten experience. However I wanted to mention that I often have my nasal allergies act up when I cruise & I worry that others may think I have something catchable(of course it isn't). How could any cruise line be able to tell a cold from allergies? Obviously it's most important for fellow passengers to be considerate. I'm hoping for healthy cruising for all.

Meg

I have allergies too. so I know that all sneezers don not have something contagious; however, I do not remain close to anyone sneezing. I move away from them. If it means I lose a place in line or whatever, I still move away from them. If you can hear and see them coming, there is no reason to let them sneeze on you.

I also don't think the cruise line will stop someone with a cold. They are mainly looking for Norovirus which is way more contagious. good luck all.

Colds are not the contagious illnesses they are looking for. They are looking for Norwalk and Rota viruses, and that is all have ever seen anyone denied boarding for is a gastrointestinal illness (and we screened lots of people every Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

You are also right, though, that very few people were honest enough to admit that they had been ill or in contact with illness within the past 72 hours, either.

Hi- What a rotten experience. However I wanted to mention that I often have my nasal allergies act up when I cruise & I worry that others may think I have something catchable(of course it isn't). How could any cruise line be able to tell a cold from allergies? Obviously it's most important for fellow passengers to be considerate. I'm hoping for healthy cruising for all.

You make a valid point.

Due to the similarities between a regular cold and hay fever it can sometimes be very difficult to differentiate between the two.

SeattleCruiselover - Colds are not the contagious illnesses they are looking for. They are looking for Norwalk and Rota viruses, and that is all have ever seen anyone denied boarding for is a gastrointestinal illness
They are mostly looking for measles, rubella, varicella, meningococcal meningitis, hepatitis A, & legionellosis. To name a few.

To protect passengers and crew, cruise lines will deny boarding to travelers who recently suffered symptoms consistent with norovirus - gastrointestinal illnesses.

If you fail to disclose any specified medical conditions before boarding may result in your insurance being invalidated.

on my last cruise I was worried because I did have the sniffles. However when I saw the form they actually only asked if I had had any vomiting or diahrea(sp) in the last 48 hrs. Nothing about a cold.

John

If you fail to disclose any specified medical conditions before boarding may result in your insurance being invalidated.

I guess that's why I don't document my movements LOL.

Please point out in the travel insurance certificate where it says this. I must have missed that clause. Its not like a standard insurance policy where there is an application process and medical questions. All I have seen in the certificate is that you certify that you are able to travel at the time you purchase the policy.

I'd be very interested to see where in the policy I should look for this clause as I really haven't read anything like that.

I have always been paranoid about coughers and sneezers around me before I cruise. How awful to plan and dream about your cruise for months and then be refused embarkation. That is my worst nightmare!

I also think it's more the norovirus that would prevent embarkation, rather than a upper respiratory virus. But I sure wish that planes would deny boarding to anyone exhibiting URV symptoms!!! There you are trapped for hours with very sick people and poorly filtered air.

I'm paranoid about it too, and if I have to fly (especially internationally on long flights) to a vacation, I ALWAYS wear a mask on the plane, and even in the airport. Who cares what it looks like...if anything people might assume that I am keeping my germs to myself.

I've never worn one boarding the ship, though. At some point, you have to start taking chances (and let handwashing basics be the prevention). If only adults would do what any preschooler knows is the right thing-sneeze or cough into the crook of their arm- germs wouldn't get spewed through the air nearly as much.

If only adults would do what any preschooler knows is the right thing-sneeze or cough into the crook of their arm- germs wouldn't get spewed through the air nearly as much.

My kids' preschool (years ago, as my 'baby' is now 10!) called it your "cough pocket". :D

Not only does it keep the germs out of the air, but it keeps them off your HANDS! So many people sneeze or cough into their hands... and then touch things without washing.

I went on a cruise a few years ago, with a group from work, winners of a sales challenge, and one of the guys who had never cruised before, mentioned when they asked him, that he had the 24 hour stomach flu, within the week before cruising. He was confined to his cabin for the whole cruise, and not allowed to be out in the open, or get off the ship. People from the group were allowed to visit with him occasionally, as he had no further symptoms during the week. But he was still not allowed out of his cabin. We all felt so sorry for him, and would bring him goodies to cheer him up. Fortunately he had a balcony cabin, and could sit outside and enjoy some rays of sun. He read a few books during that time as well!

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh!:p

Lovely Sphynx! Do you bath him and clean his ears every week? Is he a snuggler cause he needs to keep warm?

Thanks everyone for reassuring me that I don't have to be too terrified of catching a cold before cruising.

As we have 9 ports though, and lots of interesting (and expensive) excursions planned, I would not want to have to spend the entire cruise on my balcony.

This talk of sniffles reminds me of Hong Kong. Prior to going ashore we were given a form asking us to indicate if we had the "snivvles" and when we disembarked all passengers were met at the bottom of the gangway with a person wielding an electronic thermometer that was then pointed at our forehead. Talk about a welcome committee!!!. :rolleyes:

You make a valid point.

Due to the similarities between a regular cold and hay fever it can sometimes be very difficult to differentiate between the two. They are mostly looking for measles, rubella, varicella, meningococcal meningitis, hepatitis A, & legionellosis. To name a few.

To protect passengers and crew, cruise lines will deny boarding to travelers who recently suffered symptoms consistent with norovirus - gastrointestinal illnesses.

I can't speak to other cities, but here in Seattle the health forms that we provided to the pax and the questions that we asked dealt ONLY with GI illnesses.

However, if you have any chronic illnesses (COPD, heart disease, cancer, et cetera), you ARE obligated to report it to the line's medical department for review, so that they can determine if they would be able to provide medical care aboard ship in the event of an emergent exacerbation of the condition. This includes using CPAP, oxygen, peritoneal dialysis, and complex--but self administered--treatment modalities.

At Princess, our Chief Medical Officer reviewed every one of the medical forms submitted, and conferred both with the pax' personal physician and the physician aboard. They try to deny boarding to as few people as possible, but yes, it does happen.

Just one more reason to make sure that you have excellent cancel for any reason travel coverage.

Archived