A Question about Suntan Lotion

nypdblue12

Hi everyone,

I'm sailing on the Celebrity Century on 4/20 to the Western Carribean. My question is I am fair skin and I'm wondering would #SPF I should bring. I am going to get spray tan before the cruise so everyone doesn't think "Hey, there's Casper the friendly ghost":eek:, lol, but of course I'm still gonna use sunblock while laying out.

In the summers here in NY I usually were SPF 30 but of course the carribean sun is much stronger let alone laying out in the middle of the ocean on a ship. Should I go higher than 30? Or maybe bring a varying # of SPf's?

Thx, Lupe

Hi,

I too am very fair and try very hard to avoid burning. I spend a lot of time in the sun (living in Florida, deep sea fishing, scuba diving, etc.) and rely on Neutrogena SPF 70 spray on with helioplex. I love this product! It goes on easily and does not feel greasy or sticky on my skin.

Give it a try - I think you will like it.

SPF 30 is not high enough in the caribbean for a fair-skinned person.

Have a great trip,

Barbara

I come from a family with a history of skin cancer, and my docs tell me that the best you can get in the US is Neutrogena with Helioplex, as noted above. It protects against UVA and UVB. Put on at least 30, and make sure you put on enough--they said a shot glass worth for an "average" size person. Put it on often. And you should be fine. Have a great time!

Thx everyone for the replies. I thought 30 would be enough so I'm glad I posted the question.

I've previously heard good things about the Neutrogena helioplex so I'll definitely try that.

Again, Thx for the replies.

Lupe

Spray tan affords NO protection from the sun. In the Caribbean, the sun is a WHOLE LOT STRONGER than even in Fla.....use at LEAST a 15 spf, since you said you're pale...more if you burn easily. Nothing will ruin a vacation faster than being burned!

Thx everyone for the replies. I thought 30 would be enough so I'm glad I posted the question.

I've previously heard good things about the Neutrogena helioplex so I'll definitely try that.

Again, Thx for the replies.

Lupe

Yes, definitely stick w/ the high SPF's, and don't forget you have to re-apply. Coppertone makes one that's SPF 70 in a spray can, which makes it easy to reapply often.

And don't forget your hat!!! I'm not a hat person (they don't look good on me), but I found out the hard way that a burned scalp is extremely painful, and looking like Rudolph is no fun.

I also have fair skin and burn easily, but have found that an SPF 30 is okay for me in the Caribbean as long as I reapply frequently and don't spend more than about an hour in the direct sun at a time. The only time I have burned in the last few years was on a snorkelling tour in Barbados, and being in the water a lot of the time, I didn't realize my back and shoulders were burning. It was my fault for not remembering to reapply my sunscreen as frequently as I should have.

Bonnie

I'll recommend the Neutrogena Age Shield FACE with SPF70 for your face and AloeGator SPF40 for the rest of your body. I'm working ourdoors at a ski area this season. I've used the Neutrogena everyday I'm at work (4 days/week, from 8am to 4:30pm). After 4 months of this, sure, I have a tan like I have by the end of summer, but it's not the "hey, I work at a ski area" goggles tan (you know what I mean). I apply it when I'm getting ready at 6:30 in the morning, then again at noon. I haven't been burned yet, even with the now-intense spring sun bouncing off of the snow.

The AloeGator may be hard to find, but I live by this stuff in the summer. I've taken my winter pasty-white self to Hawaii and the Carribbean in the spring and not been burned. It has great staying power in the water, too. Now, I do apply it all over my body before I put on my bathing suit. That is one problem many folks have - they wait until they get to the beach or get outside to put on the sunscreen. The time to do it is a good 30 minutes before you go out. It gives time for the lotion to soak properly into the skin to provide protection.

And, yes, take a hat! Which would you rather be - the "dorky" person in the hat or the poor person with skin cancer???

Archived