Mercury disembarkation in Monterey

rollyo11

We are going to be on the Mercury next week and will be meeting some family in Monterey, CA. Can anyone give me detail about where the tender actually drops you off? I assume it is in the marina near Cannery Row and the Aquarium but would like to tell our family the exact spot!

Thanks in advance.

Hi...just sailed the Mercuryicon_smile.gifHi Phil!...

The tenders drop you at "Fisherman's Warf"...you can walk to Cannery Row...and then of course further to the aquarium.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Lois,

I enjoy reading your posts, which are so informative and helpful. Then I clicked over and saw your pictures. How nice it is to connect an online "personality" with a real person (though only through a picture!)

Can you tell us how far a walk it is from the tender drop off in Monterey to the aquarium? Aquarium tickets are much less expensive to purchase direct from the aquarium, and hopefully it isn't too distant a walk. Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

High Seas Gal

Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

Hiicon_smile.gif thanks for the compliment...we never went to the aquarium..but I would guess Mike is correct. We strolled...over to Cannery Row...neat shops and things..that was about a 15 minute walk..but we didn't walk at "a pace"....

I think the aquarium was about 10 minutes further.....but that is just a guess

Lois - After looking at your Merc pics I actually have tears in my eyes. I miss that dang ship so much! Boo Hoo!!! ~Christine

Celebrity Mercury October 19, 2003

March 13, 2004 on the Mercury

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;3;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

October 13, 2004 on the Mercury

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I've been to Montery many times for weekend getaways. The Aquarium is pretty much across the street from Cannery row, but I'm not sure how far that is from Fishermans wharf, it should be less than a mile.

Montery has an excellent aquarium. The specialize in "local" marine life. There should be no problem buying tickets at the door.

Splendour of the Seas, 11/17/00

Summit, 10/28/02

Mercury, 5/05/04

Here's a tip. Something that Celebrity will not tell you!

One of the best things to do in Montery is free! If you walk to the Aquarium, keep walking right past it towards Lover's Point, (maybe an extra 3/4 mile). On the way, you will see one of the most beautiful seashore areas. You *will* see Sea Otters, they are always there playing in the kelp beds. Maybe also harbor seals and sea lions. You may also see scuba divers. This is where I got certified. At lovers point, you can rent sea kayaks for a reasonable price. If you need to save time, take a taxi to the aquarium and walk from there. If you are adventurous, you can walk all the way to Point Pinos (another 3/4 mile). Bicycle rentals are also available.

Most of the people on the ship will miss this beautiful area because they are too busy shopping or tied up with the ships tours. Trust me on this!

Splendour of the Seas, 11/17/00

Summit, 10/28/02

Mercury, 5/05/04

Rollyo11 the tender will drop you off at "Fisherman's Wharf" in Monterey. If you enjoy really good wine, here is a hint - walk the wharf towards downtown, and keep walking past a couple of harbor buildings towards retail shops and you will find a really good wine shop on your left.

We bought three bottles of really good white's there and the owner packaged them and put them in a bag so that they did not look like bottles of wine.

Had the bottle of Talbott's Sleepy Hollow chardonnay for the farewell dinner.

Hi Christine.

Charlie

Mercury 3/13/2004

Century 5/22/2004

Hi Charlie...I went in that wine shop too icon_smile.gif..neat store! I didn't buy anything but a woman was having a "tasting".

That was my first time in Monterey....lovely area for sure!

Rolly,

Some navigational information. Downtown is north of the wharf. South is Cannery Row and ultimately Pacific Grove. Thats where Lovers Point is. It is something to see, a great rock formation. However, it has a small topless beach (also great formations icon_wink.gif) so you have been warned.

When you look up the hill from the wharf you will see the Presidio of Monterey. Its a military area that still hosts the Defense Language Institute. Guessing that Russian isn't a priority there anymore (MaryBeth and I were there for a 1 1/2 years about 27 years ago).

George & MaryBeth

Hi Charlie! I see your still here too icon_smile.gif It is an addiction isn't it? I really was having withdrawals looking at Lois' pics yesterday. I know we are just another Merc couple but we have such memories of the 2 weeks of our life we have spent on her. Sigh...~Christine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cechase:

Rollyo11 the tender will drop you off at "Fisherman's Wharf" in Monterey. If you enjoy really good wine, here is a hint - walk the wharf towards downtown, and keep walking past a couple of harbor buildings towards retail shops and you will find a really good wine shop on your left.

We bought three bottles of really good white's there and the owner packaged them and put them in a bag so that they did not look like bottles of wine.

Had the bottle of Talbott's Sleepy Hollow chardonnay for the farewell dinner.

Hi Christine.

Charlie

Mercury 3/13/2004

Century 5/22/2004<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;3;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Topless in Monterey? Ouch! Too cold for me icon_smile.gif It had crossed my mind to sunbathe at the top deck of the Mecury where less clothing is optional but was afraid of wind burn icon_wink.gif Some people are just way more adventurous then the rest of us icon_smile.gif ~Christine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raudacruise:

Rolly,

Some navigational information. Downtown is north of the wharf. South is Cannery Row and ultimately Pacific Grove. Thats where Lovers Point is. It is something to see, a great rock formation. However, it has a small topless beach (also great formations icon_wink.gif) so you have been warned.

When you look up the hill from the wharf you will see the Presidio of Monterey. Its a military area that still hosts the Defense Language Institute. Guessing that Russian isn't a priority there anymore (MaryBeth and I were there for a 1 1/2 years about 27 years ago).

George & MaryBeth<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks all for the info. I actually grew up in SF and know Monterey fairly well, but for some reason couldnt place where the tender dumps everyone off (in fact I cant ever remember seeing a cruise ship in Monterey). But, your feedback confirmed my hunch. For those on the cruise next week. I'll be the one with the 18 month old in the backback walking my way to the Aquarium with an entourage of family.

Happy Sailing!!

Archived