Help! Flight Times

Dem920

I am scheduled on the Crown Princess for Easter week cruise and our return flight just got changed from 10:30 a.m. to 9:35 a.m. Will we make it to Fort Lauderdale airport? Can we take our own luggage off the ship? We've never traveled on Princess, so I'm not sure if we will make it. Thanks.

Wow...early flight:eek:

Yes, you can take your baggage off yourself...with no help from anyone else.

Can you make the flight?....depends...it is a weekend.....and if the ship gets cleared by port officials early, and if customs and immigration is on time, and if you are at the front of the line to get cabs, and if the line-ups in the airport checking in and at security are not too long, yes, you might just make it.

But, I would ask for a later flight.

I am scheduled on the Crown Princess for Easter week cruise and our return flight just got changed from 10:30 a.m. to 9:35 a.m. Will we make it to Fort Lauderdale airport? Can we take our own luggage off the ship? We've never traveled on Princess, so I'm not sure if we will make it. Thanks.

Besides the Crown, there will be 4 other ships coming into Ft Lauderale on the same day. Yes, you can take your luggage off yourself; usally about 7:30. But you'd better be first in line, because 5000 people are going to be descending on the airport that same morning. Try your best to get a later flight.

Since the airline charged the flight time, they are normally willing to switch you to a different flight (if there is space) at no cost to you.

If the new early departure time will cause you anguish, ask to have the flight switched to a lter one.

I am also scheduled on the crown for the week after Easter and have a noon flight.

Should I carry my own bags off just as a precaution? All my bags are rollers and stack together anyhow, I travel weekly for business so I am used to dragging bags all over!

I was just reading another thread where some people got off the ship at 11:15 and that would surely make me miss a 12:00 noon flight!

I also checked and when I return on April 19 the following ships will be there:

Carnival Freedom - 2974 passengers

Celebrity Solstice - 2850 passengers

Crown Princess - 3080 passengers

Discovery Sun - unk

Emerald Princess - 3100 passengers

Regal Empress - 1475 passengers

Seven Seas Navigator - 490 passengers

Westerdam - 1848 passengers

So all together: ~15,000 people all on the same day!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I was just reading another thread where some people got off the ship at 11:15 and that would surely make me miss a 12:00 noon flight!

Unless there is a problem with arrival in port or US customs, eveyone is usually off the ship by 9:30 AM. Disembarkation times are assigned per the flight information you provide on a form sent to you on board.

With that many ships in port, it may be difficult to get a cab, and the FLL lines for checkin and security may be long. Even so, if you are off the ship between 8 and 9 AM, you should easily make your flight.

That is really pushing it! Best to get a later flight if possible, however you'll probably find that there sold out. The airline will move your flight at no charge to you.

A good rule of thumb is not to book your departure before noon. This is per the cruise lines. Good luck.

I also checked and when I return on April 19 the following ships will be there:

Carnival Freedom - 2974 passengers

Celebrity Solstice - 2850 passengers

Crown Princess - 3080 passengers

Discovery Sun - unk

Emerald Princess - 3100 passengers

Regal Empress - 1475 passengers

Seven Seas Navigator - 490 passengers

Westerdam - 1848 passengers

So all together: ~15,000 people all on the same day!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Theoretically they (15,000 new PAX) should be trying to enter the port after the disembarking passengers have long left, but practically that's not the way it is. This sets up a choke point at port entry security for busses and cabs returning for the second wave of passengers trying to leave. Not nice.

Checking your luggage in for your flight. It's one thing to carry it off the ship but unless you have 'carryon' luggage for your flight you have to allow extra time. Airlines have gotten much tighter on how far in advance of your flight that you have to check your luggage in.

We are also traveling that week on America Airlines out of Fort Lauderdale back to San Francisco. We received notice that our original flight has been cancelled and the new one is a little over an hour later. Airlines don't want partially full flights anymore and are doing lots of rescheduling.

The thing is, that technically many have made a 9:15 flight or a 9:45 flight etc....princes "recommends" a 10:30 or later flight to be on the safe side, but.....if you are the type of person who will be worrying the last few days and thus not enjoying your cruise becuase you are busy being worried, it is not worth it to book something you are going to be thinnking about during the time you should be relaxing.........it is going to be a personal thing.....situations differ, clearance schedules differ there are a lot of variables......do what you are "comfortable " with so you do't lose out on the enjoyment of you vacation.

Archived