Airfare Question

cruzndiz

Didn't want to seem like a complete dolt asking Regent this question, so instead I am imploring my "faceless friends" here to help me :p

I am looking at a T/A from Spain to FLL with roundtrip air included. Since I am originating in New York, does this mean they will fly me to Spain to embark and then fly me home from Ft. Lauderdale 15 days later?

Just be aware that if you "deviate", i.e., stay a day or two before the cruise in Spain, you will pay a $100 pp fee that's added to the air (unless you buy a Regent pre-cruise hotel package, and these are usually outrageously expensive.) Also note that "included air" at Regent now (or soon), does not include air taxes. So make sure to get a quote first, then compare it to what you could book yourself.

We took the Voyager Fall TA (2008, loved it) and booked our own air...a friend, found first class/Biz class seats from our home to Funchal below the air credit that Regent

offered...Agree with Wendy; check with kayak, cheaptickets, ita...compare

what Regent offers...good luck.

Was the airfare you found round-trip to and from one city or two one-way fares?

It was an open-jaw to Europe, into one city & out of a different one. Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I bought a coach ticket & upgraded with my frequent flyer certificates. The coach tickets were less than Regent's & I had the ability to choose the airline that allows me to upgrade. For that reason, I always make my own air arrangements. I think upgrades to business class on international flights are a good way to use frequent flyer miles or other benefits (certificates.) The challenge is that you have to do it far ahead of time and/or have an elite status.

The good news for me is that I have about as high a status as you can get. The bad news is that it is on a U.S. carrier that provides bad service in every class. The ability to sleep in a business class seat is nice though.

We upgraded to business air through Regent on our recent cruise. They included a statement saying that Regent is Not responsible for hotels or transportation if delays occur and we miss the ship!! One of the reasons we liked buying air through cruise lines was the fact that they would cover expenses if you missed the ship due to airline delays. Guess those days are over and you are on your own!!!

We upgraded to business air through Regent on our recent cruise. They included a statement saying that Regent is Not responsible for hotels or transportation if delays occur and we miss the ship!! One of the reasons we liked buying air through cruise lines was the fact that they would cover expenses if you missed the ship due to airline delays. Guess those days are over and you are on your own!!!

I'm trying to understand why Regent did what they did. Did your cruise have air included and you asked to be upgraded to business class?

Generally, when Regent books your air, they will take responsibility for late arrivals. We have had be put up in a hotel at Regent's expense because they could not get us to the port on the day of embarkation. However, when you make any change to the flights they choose, you are are your own (and you pay the $100.00 per person deviation fee).

It sounds like something was changed from the original booking made by Regent. Or, perhaps they made a mistake:confused:

It was an open-jaw to Europe, into one city & out of a different one. Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I bought a coach ticket & upgraded with my frequent flyer certificates. The coach tickets were less than Regent's & I had the ability to choose the airline that allows me to upgrade. For that reason, I always make my own air arrangements. I think upgrades to business class on international flights are a good way to use frequent flyer miles or other benefits (certificates.) The challenge is that you have to do it far ahead of time and/or have an elite status.

The good news for me is that I have about as high a status as you can get. The bad news is that it is on a U.S. carrier that provides bad service in every class. The ability to sleep in a business class seat is nice though.

United now has lie-flat seats in biz class. I don't know how many planes have been fitted but we just returned from London and to and from LHR both planes had the neat new seating. Our B767, which used to have 32 biz seats, now has only 26 seats because of the lie-flat - or any angle - seating. No longer can anyone intrude on your space by reclining their seat - great!

Archived