Navigator 8/7/2009 with teens

Peek-a-boo

We are looking forward to our Aug 7, Monte Carlo to Athens cruise. We will be bringing our two boys, 13 & 15. I am sure that this issue has been addressed before, but I cannot find it. Does the same dress code apply to them? Long pants & button down shirts for dinner? Sport coats? This cruise sails during hottest part of the year and I am wondering with the heat and the airlines restrictions on luggage weight, if the dress code is relaxed a little.

Also, if anyone has info on the kids program, if there is one, please tell.

Is it possible to have a casual lunch or dinner around the pool area?

Thanks!

As far as I know, the dress code will apply. Usually there are mostly "Country Club Casual" nights on this cruise. A pair of cotton long pants with a short sleeve button down shirt would work well.

Unless a special program for children is advertised for the cruise, there won't be one. The Navigator is a small ship -- very limited public areas (thus, not much to do except read, play board games or complete puzzles). If the Voyager is doing the same itinerary, it would work a bit better (larger ship, etc.)

If the cruise is port intensive, there will be plenty to do in port to keep everyone busy.

We have taken our teenagers on many Regent cruises. All have been very tolerant of what they wear to dinner (jeans, khakis, collared shirts, not t shirts or shorts). My son is older now and wears a jacket to dinner, but he never did until his late teens. Encourage them to at least try the Mariner's Club, my son loved it, daughter did not. One of the big bonuses about cruising to me is you can let the kids finish the main course, go back to the room, and order room service dessert there. It keeps them from having to sit so long, and you can get a quiet dessert and coffee with your spouse. My two often order room service dinner as well. There is a more casual lunch and dinner both on the Navigator. Have a great time.

We have taken our teenagers on many Regent cruises. All have been very tolerant of what they wear to dinner (jeans, khakis, collared shirts, not t shirts or shorts). My son is older now and wears a jacket to dinner, but he never did until his late teens. Encourage them to at least try the Mariner's Club, my son loved it, daughter did not. One of the big bonuses about cruising to me is you can let the kids finish the main course, go back to the room, and order room service dessert there. It keeps them from having to sit so long, and you can get a quiet dessert and coffee with your spouse. My two often order room service dinner as well. There is a more casual lunch and dinner both on the Navigator. Have a great time.

Hi Vrhiatt and thanks for the info....are you saying that they are able to wear jeans to dinner but not shorts? And by collared shirts, can they wear nice polo shirts?

I love the idea of dessert in the room - perfect for my two boys.

And would you please explain about the more casual lunch & dinner on the Navigator. Did you get two cabins or all stay in one?

Thanks!

According to the itinerary, Mariner's Club is not available on their cruise. Also, we have never seen children with jeans in Compass Rose in the evening -- only at lunch. Even the smallest boys were wearing slacks. I would double check that with your TA.

I know that some suites accommodate three people -- however, four generally have two suites.

I agree with Travelcat--khakis at dinner, at least. If there's an "informal" night, perhaps something a bit nicer--kids look so cute dressed up, but I know how teenagers are sometimes, so I don't think a jacket would be required. I believe it's normally only 3 to a suite, but I don't know about the larger suites.

Yes, they can wear jeans to dinner, and don't worry about whether other passengers think they would look cute dressed up. Technically, it is not allowed, but no one will stop them or say anything. Khakis are definitely allowed and widespread. I would not push it with faded, ratty jeans with holes however. For collared shirts, yes polos are fine. Jackets definitely are not necessary. I would not, however, allow them to wear jeans if there is a formal night. Different rules are applied to kids.

I have seen a lot on these boards about Regent not being suitable for kids, not enough activities, and so on, but don't listen to any of it. My kids are very loyal customers of Regent. We live in South Florida, with many ships to choose from, and neither my 19 year old college son or my 16 year old daughter ever wants to talk about going on any other cruise line. The staff is very nice to the kids, indulging them in all types of ways. They will make them special food, save them desserts, give them extras, and generally spoil them rotten.

There is a pool grill open for lunch most days, and a buffet type restaurant. At night the Portofino is more casual, and the singers will engage your kids. Just let them order room service if dinner is too stuffy for them. They will love it. Tell them to ask for whatever they want they have seen on the ship, they will likely get it, even if it is not on the menu.

We always get two cabins. I don't think there are many that fit four, it would have to be a larger suite, which usually costs more than two cabins.

Cuizer2 -- that was nice to post the dress code and children activities for Royal Caribbean. The names are confusing RCCL and RSSC -- but, in this case, the question was about Regent cruise lines.

Interestingly, Regent's dress code is quite similiar to Royal Caribbean. And, again, we have never seen anyone wear jeans to dinner on a Regent cruise (any age).

Rather than disagreeing with the vrhiatt, I recommend that Peek-a-boo speak with Regent directly or your travel agent regarding the dress code. They can also verify that there are no children programs on this particular cruise.

Some teenagers can certainly enjoy themselves without having planned activities on board. It just depends on the children. Although there are few public areas on the Navigator, there are hundreds of movies available that can be watched in their suite. There is also a library, a small selection of board games and a computer area (limited -- only 5 computers operational last month).

Hope this varying opinions are helpful:)

Yes, they can wear jeans to dinner, and don't worry about whether other passengers think they would look cute dressed up. Technically, it is not allowed, but no one will stop them or say anything. Khakis are definitely allowed and widespread. I would not push it with faded, ratty jeans with holes however. For collared shirts, yes polos are fine. Jackets definitely are not necessary. I would not, however, allow them to wear jeans if there is a formal night. Different rules are applied to kids.

I have seen a lot on these boards about Regent not being suitable for kids, not enough activities, and so on, but don't listen to any of it. My kids are very loyal customers of Regent. We live in South Florida, with many ships to choose from, and neither my 19 year old college son or my 16 year old daughter ever wants to talk about going on any other cruise line. The staff is very nice to the kids, indulging them in all types of ways. They will make them special food, save them desserts, give them extras, and generally spoil them rotten.

There is a pool grill open for lunch most days, and a buffet type restaurant. At night the Portofino is more casual, and the singers will engage your kids. Just let them order room service if dinner is too stuffy for them. They will love it. Tell them to ask for whatever they want they have seen on the ship, they will likely get it, even if it is not on the menu.

We always get two cabins. I don't think there are many that fit four, it would have to be a larger suite, which usually costs more than two cabins.

Just a comment about Portofino -- it has changed completely -- no more singers/entertainment. In fact, that dining venue is fairly bland. Next year they will split Portofino in half -- one half will be the upscale steakhouse, Prime 7.

Cuizer2 -- that was nice to post the dress code and children activities for Royal Caribbean. The names are confusing RCCL and RSSC -- but, in this case, the question was about Regent cruise lines.

Interestingly, Regent's dress code is quite similiar to Royal Caribbean. And, again, we have never seen anyone wear jeans to dinner on a Regent cruise (any age).

Rather than disagreeing with the vrhiatt, I recommend that Peek-a-boo speak with Regent directly or your travel agent regarding the dress code. They can also verify that there are no children programs on this particular cruise.

Some teenagers can certainly enjoy themselves without having planned activities on board. It just depends on the children. Although there are few public areas on the Navigator, there are hundreds of movies available that can be watched in their suite. There is also a library, a small selection of board games and a computer area (limited -- only 5 computers operational last month).

Hope this varying opinions are helpful:)

Oops - I read Navigator and thought Navigator of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). :o

Well, if you take the same cruise on Royal Caribbean, you'll be prepared. :)

Having been on many Regent cruises with my sons, I think I can weigh in here. The dress code is the same no matter your age. My sons wear khakis on casual nights, a sports coat in informal nights and a dark suit on formal nights. I would not think it appropriate for them to dress otherwise.

If they didn't want to dress up, they ordered room service and had their own good time in the room.

Archived