Help, Carnival Spirit Questions!

bragstarr

Hi folks--if I could get some quick input here. Possibly going to Alaska in July and weighing options--Carnival Spirit is one of them. Anyone have any quick feedback? I know there's plenty on the review boards, but just want to get a quick feel here--I know she was launched in 2001--has there been a major dry dock since then? Do they do the Movies under the Stars? I think there's a sliding dome pool, but can someone confirm it? Thanks so much.

We sailed Spirit to Hawaii last year. The ship is beautiful. :) She doesn't have a big screen for movies under the stars but the center Lido pool is under a retractable dome. The dome was never closed on our sailing but I suspect it will be closed often on the Alaskan Itineraries.

I have an album of photos from our Hawaii sailing that you can view. If you skip past the first few dozen pictures you will find a lot of ship pictures taken during the five days from Mexico to Maui.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563490413uQLKKy

No movie screen, yes there is a dome over one of the main pools.

The Spirit and the other ships in its class are considered by many to be the best Carnival ships in service. Most enjoy their higher passenger to space ratio (they are 88,000 tons but only carry about 200 more people than the smaller 70,000 ton Fantasy class) and their simplified deck plan.

Their layout is unique among other Carnival ships. The Spirit ships only have one main dining room and a two level promenade. They are also the only Carnival ships to feature a wedding chapel, and were the first to have a supper club.

I don't yet have an opinion since my first cruise on one isn't for 48 days. We are heading to Alaska also, the Glacier Bay route, for our honeymoon.

We have been on the Spirit 2 times to the Alaska on the North bound trips.

The ship does have the dome and its open most the time, pending the

weather conditions in Alaska.

There is no out door movie screen to see under the stars. Also remember

you be in Alaska. There will not be much stars to speak of in Alaska

in July. During July in June the Sun set (civil twilight) will occur around 11PM. Then only be down for about about 4 - 5 hours. The more north you go the

later it will be and less darkness.

The ship is a great ship and was in drydoc about 1.5 years ago.

One thing to think of is carnival starting in 2010 will only do round trips from

Seattle, thus to glacier viewing. So if you want to do Alaska on Carnival 2009

is your time.

I don't yet have an opinion since my first cruise on one isn't for 48 days. We are heading to Alaska also, the Glacier Bay route, for our honeymoon.

Congratulations DG! :cool:

You chose a great ship for your honeymoon. :)

We did an Alaska cruise on the Spirit in 2007 and had a wonderful time. We had so much fun we are taking the Spirit to Hawaii in 25 days or so and also have a third cruise booked for early 2010.

Is repeat business a sign of a good ship?

Thanks all for the information, especially about the drydock, whatever it is they are doing! Keep the info coming. I just checked airfares, and maybe it is because of the days of the week this cruises, but they are not too bad. I'm thinking this might be my cruise.....I'm hosting one of those Carnival Sunday Fun Day parties on the 29th; hoping maybe they are sending me some sort of OBC or discount with it!

I am on the Spirit 04/05/09, the second sailing out of drydock, so when I come back, I will start a thread with any changes that occurred, so watch for it.

I have sailed the Spirit 5 times, so I am sure I will be able to spot any new stuff. BTW, she is my favorite ship, which is why I have sailed her 5 times.

I'll definately be looking for that thread! We've sailed on her sister ship the Pride. Can you tell me if there is as much nude art? My 13 yo son is a little nervous of spending his whole week with nude art.

btw I love your Mex Riv name!!! I might steal that idea!

Hi folks--if I could get some quick input here. Possibly going to Alaska in July and weighing options--Carnival Spirit is one of them. Anyone have any quick feedback? I know there's plenty on the review boards, but just want to get a quick feel here--I know she was launched in 2001--has there been a major dry dock since then? Do they do the Movies under the Stars? I think there's a sliding dome pool, but can someone confirm it? Thanks so much.

Sailed on Spirit 3 times now and she has been one of the best ships out there, the ship and crew is #1

Fred

Hello my friend ;)

We did Spirit last year and loved it. Definitely have dinner one night in the Nouveau supper club. It was awesome!

The pool dome was partially closed a day or two on our trip.

2037748310100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

Watch out for those stairs to the supper club...you can see through them...it's a bit scary. LOL

2488973630100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

I'll definately be looking for that thread! We've sailed on her sister ship the Pride. Can you tell me if there is as much nude art? My 13 yo son is a little nervous of spending his whole week with nude art.

btw I love your Mex Riv name!!! I might steal that idea!

There is some nude art, but not anywhere near the amount that is on the Pride.

The Spirit is a great ship. I've been on her twice and have another cruise scheduled in October on her. I can't wait.

Like previous posters said....the Spirit is a beautiful ship.I was on her sister ship the Pride 2 weeks ago and I prefer the Spirit.That being said would love to cruise on the Pride again! Was on the Spirit GLacier Bay cruise last Sept. Then in Nov went on the Spirit again on the 8 day Mex. riviera. Headed back to Glacier Bay 9/02/09 on the Spirit ...again. She's my favorite ship! Hope you have a great time!

I am on the Spirit 04/05/09, the second sailing out of drydock, so when I come back, I will start a thread with any changes that occurred, so watch for it.

I have sailed the Spirit 5 times, so I am sure I will be able to spot any new stuff. BTW, she is my favorite ship, which is why I have sailed her 5 times.

DW and I will be on her first cruise out of dry dock. Our first cruise on the Spirit, but second on the Spirit class. We are with a group of 28 and will come back with lots of pictures, and stories some of which may even be true :D

FYI, planning a CC Group for the Spirit to Alaska.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=950854

We were on the last trip prior to drydock. There is a sliding roof over the pool, no Muts though. It was our first Carnival cruise. The ship was in very good condition and was not exhibiting much wear. Nice decor, apparently more subdued than other Carnival ships according to some who have been on many-or at least that what we were told. Good staff, usual grade of entertainment. Food ok.

Archived