Should children have the "auto-tip"

SKOOKUM

I have two children, 5 and 6 years old. I can tell you that people who work on cruise ships treat my girls like princesses. So many of the cruise staff have children at home- or family at home that they miss, that they go far beyond what they need to do for the kids. I add extra to my tips every cruise, not because my kids are so much more work (although, admittedly, they require work), but because of the exceptional and special treatment they receive.

Heck, I'd like to see a break for single cruisers! If I get a balcony, I usually pay 200% so IMHO, singles should be whining more than those paying a 3rd/4th rate since there isn't even a 2nd person in the cabin.

Wow. 200%:eek:. I for one would be whining very loudly:)

Wow. 200%:eek:. I for one would be whining very loudly:)
It's the cost of cruising; either I accept that and pay or I don't cruise. Very simple "on/off" switch. :) Sometimes, I get just an outside oceanview cabin but even then, I pay 150 - 180% of the per person rate.

If I travel to another country I should be expected to abide by their culture, so if somebody from another culture decides to come here they should abide by the customs here.

Except that cruising is an international type of holiday so you really can't claim a local custom policy. There is no "here", particularly since Princess also cruises the Mediterranean, the Far East, and even Britain ;)

Except that cruising is an international type of holiday so you really can't claim a local custom policy. There is no "here", particularly since Princess also cruises the Mediterranean, the Far East, and even Britain ;)
Wrong. Yes, Princess cruises all over the world but the onboard currency is in US$, including pay to all staff and crew; thus, the "here" is U.S. customs. You can ignore that and justify, justify, justify but that is a fact you can't ignore or push aside.

It's the cost of cruising; either I accept that and pay or I don't cruise. Very simple "on/off" switch. :) Sometimes, I get just an outside oceanview cabin but even then, I pay 150 - 180% of the per person rate.

Believe me, I would accept it and still cruise too:D I can't pass on all that fun.

Heck, I'd like to see a break for single cruisers! If I get a balcony, I usually pay 200% so IMHO, singles should be whining more than those paying a 3rd/4th rate since there isn't even a 2nd person in the cabin.

I'd have to disagree (actually I don't have to, but I will). As I've stated, the main thing you are buying on a cruise is cabin space. The incremental cost of other things is minimal. Since a single is occupying a cabin for 2, they should pay double. I'd suggest that you should get adopted by a couple that likes to cruise (it worked for my daughter), but then you'd be getting screwed as the 3rd passenger in the cabin;).

Sounds like we can at least agree that Princess method of allocating costs across passengers is not entirely fair. Just like airlines, their pricing model is designed to fill ships while maximizing revenue--doesn't matter if it is fair.

By the way, I couldn't help but notice that you've cruised with Viking River cruises to China and Russia. How did you like them in Russia relative to China? I did the same Viking China river cruise as you did, with my 2 older daughters. Thought it was fabulous. I'm very interested in a Russian river cruise (my father and youngest daughter are both from Russia). Would appreciate any thoughts you have on how Viking compares on the 2 routes.

You can ignore that and justify, justify, justify but that is a fact you can't ignore or push aside.

:eek: Dude.... my disdain for US-centered thinking and attitudes doesn't mean I don't tip. I worked as a bartender for many years and usually tend to overtip.

Hope you didn't pull a muscle making that stretch.

I'd have to disagree (actually I don't have to, but I will). As I've stated, the main thing you are buying on a cruise is cabin space. The incremental cost of other things is minimal. Since a single is occupying a cabin for 2, they should pay double. I'd suggest that you should get adopted by a couple that likes to cruise (it worked for my daughter), but then you'd be getting screwed as the 3rd passenger in the cabin;). -- It's my choice to be a single in a cabin; no need for adoption. I get a single for myself and an inside single for my daughter; we get along a whole lot better that way.

Sounds like we can at least agree that Princess method of allocating costs across passengers is not entirely fair. Just like airlines, their pricing model is designed to fill ships while maximizing revenue--doesn't matter if it is fair. -- Can't argue with that.

By the way, I couldn't help but notice that you've cruised with Viking River cruises to China and Russia. How did you like them in Russia relative to China? I did the same Viking China river cruise as you did, with my 2 older daughters. Thought it was fabulous. I'm very interested in a Russian river cruise (my father and youngest daughter are both from Russia). Would appreciate any thoughts you have on how Viking compares on the 2 routes.

China was fabulous but a very different experience from Russia, particularly the boat. The Russian boat is very basic... emphasis on the basic... and more like cruising 20 -30 years ago. This is pretty much true for all Russian river cruises. There are no river boats newer than those built in the 70s and 80s although they are renovated (IMHO, they should be stripped to the hull and rebuilt completely but that's not going to happen.) Beds are tiny, cabins are tiny, bathroom pretty much non-existant (in my cabin, you moved the sink faucet to a pin above and that was your shower) and there are walking decks outside on every deck so that you always have people walking past and light coming in. As always, the Viking people are terrific and overall, the cruise was incredible. I'd do it again.

:eek: Dude.... my disdain for US-centered thinking and attitudes doesn't mean I don't tip. I worked as a bartender for many years and usually tend to overtip.

Hope you didn't pull a muscle making that stretch.

I really wasn't referring to you specifically but rather to those from other countries who apply their culture to a US$-based environment, totally ignoring that they aren't in their own country any more.

China was fabulous but a very different experience from Russia, particularly the boat. The Russian boat is very basic... emphasis on the basic... and more like cruising 20 -30 years ago. This is pretty much true for all Russian river cruises. There are no river boats newer than those built in the 70s and 80s although they are renovated (IMHO, they should be stripped to the hull and rebuilt completely but that's not going to happen.) Beds are tiny, cabins are tiny, bathroom pretty much non-existant (in my cabin, you moved the sink faucet to a pin above and that was your shower) and there are walking decks outside on every deck so that you always have people walking past and light coming in. As always, the Viking people are terrific and overall, the cruise was incredible. I'd do it again.

Thanx for the input.

We absolutely tip for our children......(and have traveled with up to 6 of them). Would never consider "removing" them from the process......

Not only do we tip for them for the typical/standard services but we have ALWAYS made sure to tip the Children's Counselors (who are not included in the regular tipping). These people go above and beyond and we are greatful for the fun our children have (and the free time we are able to enjoy as a couple while they are well cared for/entertained).

Many times the Children's Counselors are overlooked when it comes to tipping & I think it bears discussing that they are not part of the regular tipping process but should be tipped according to the services and time they provide.

JMHO....Just my Humble Opinion.....

Judy

Judy- It has never occured to me to tip the Children's Counselors, but I will from now on! What a great idea....

Cheryl

Tipping is a per person charge and applies to all those occupying a cabin.

Don't like it? Can't afford it? Don't cruise

Anyone who would remove or reduce tips to those who work their butts off for everyone all week is a deadbeat....

Children eat, they sleep in beds, the use the bathrooms, take a shower. They occupy a chair in the dining room and are waited on by the waitstaff. Someone pours their soda or juice when they order it.......

They take a seat in the theaters, on the pool deck, in the kids program. In addition, they are usually messy, throw things on the floor, spill their milk, drop their silverware, leave their toys out......

They are probably more work than the adults.

I really wasn't referring to you specifically but rather to those from other countries who apply their culture to a US$-based environment, totally ignoring that they aren't in their own country any more.

:o Thanks for the clarification.... I am a lot of things but stingy isn't one of them.

Agreed....it has been always thus.......

I also cruise solo and hate like the dickens to pay that huge supplement of 150-200%.....but, I love cruising.

It's a choice.

In the grand scheme of things, 10.00 a day isn't going to break my budget.......:p

We absolutely tip for our children......(and have traveled with up to 6 of them). Would never consider "removing" them from the process......

Not only do we tip for them for the typical/standard services but we have ALWAYS made sure to tip the Children's Counselors (who are not included in the regular tipping). These people go above and beyond and we are greatful for the fun our children have (and the free time we are able to enjoy as a couple while they are well cared for/entertained).

Many times the Children's Counselors are overlooked when it comes to tipping & I think it bears discussing that they are not part of the regular tipping process but should be tipped according to the services and time they provide.

JMHO....Just my Humble Opinion.....

Judy

Same with us.

Isn't it strange that not one person has chimed in to support the idea of reduced or no tips for children? They have certainly come out in force on some of the other recent tipping threads!

Isn't it strange that not one person has chimed in to support the idea of reduced or no tips for children? They have certainly come out in force on some of the other recent tipping threads!

It is wierd , maybe some have "seen the light"

We have been on 6 cruises with our kids and have two more booked this year. We started when they were 4 and 8 years old, and now they are 8 and 12. We would never think of removing the auto-tip. Our two DD's are no more or less messy than the average adult (at least not since they were toddlers, and in those days we didn't cruise), so I would object to paying an "extra" auto-tip for kids. But we absolutely tip the Fun Zone staff in addition to the auto-tip. We just consider this part of the cost of cruising -- a cost which we know in advance and are willing to pay.

--Junglejane

Archived