how many people book GTY and not

Majesty Fan

After 11 cruises where I picked the exact cabin I wanted, I finally went with a GTY for our next cruise. The circumstances were just right for me to do this, however. To book an 8F GTY Spa Deck was $480 less than picking exact cabins. The minimum cabin I can recieve is 8F and there are only better categories higher than that (8G Aft, 9A Wraps, and Suites), and I know I will be happy with any of those cabins as well as the 8F. Not knowing which cabins we will have until departure is a little unnerving, but I'm prepared to live with it as long as I get on the ship. lol.

Just wondering how many people book a GTY and how many do not. I have over 26 cruises on 3 cruise lines and was wondering how many people book the regular way. A specific cabin and how many do the GTY's. I book the GTY.

Lexi

I don't now, did when I was a poor student. I'm too cranky now if I have people dancing on the floor/ceiling above me when I'm ready to sleep. When I was a poor student I either didn't care, was dancing with them or had too many boat drinks to notice.

Just Barb and I are usually last minute deals so I look to book an aft balcony. But they are usually gone so then we do an 8A GTY. Going with a group we book specific cabins.

NEVER had a bad GTY. cabin!

Dan

The only time we booked a GTY cabin in our 9 cruises we were placed near the front of the ship. Apparently right above the thrusters and the anchor. You could not sleep past 6am on days you were in port. I can't describe the noise or the shaking of the cabin when they put down anchor or run the thrusters.

I am willing to pay the extra to decide which cabin I will be living in for a week. It should not cost so much extra to pick your cabin.

Been on 5 cruises and only once have I booked a gty..booked an OV gty and ended up with an OV on the second to the lowest deck midship...nothing wrong with what I got though, would rather have midship than a higher deck on the end. Only paid $329 for a 5 night cruise on RC to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios...thought I did pretty well :)

My last cruise (which was my first) I booked a GTY and luckily got upgraded to a 9A mid ship.

I say luckily because I realize I get sea sick whenever I was near the front of the ship. Had to leave the Captain's party and one show.

This time I booked a specific cabin. I don't want to take a chance of having a cabin up front.

Just wondering how many people book a GTY and how many do not. I have over 26 cruises on 3 cruise lines and was wondering how many people book the regular way. A specific cabin and how many do the GTY's. I book the GTY.

Lexi

I booked GTY this time for the first time and it worked out fine. I found out where my cabin was and they put me near the people we were tarveling with that picked a room

I know that I am one of those people that does not care where we are so GTY works great for me for the $$$ but if you are one that has to know where you are then it isn't the way to go that is for sure!

I have been trying to decide whether to book a GTY balcony, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a view of the lifeboats. The bad thing with this cruise is there is only one 8A balcony left and it is toward the back. I'm afraid I'll get seasick. If I could do a 8A or above guarantee I'd jump on it!
We've booked unobstructed guarantees on Carnival. I would never book a guarantee that included the obstructed views.

Charlie

Charlie, how did you do that? All I see is BAL GTY, which I'd assume could be ANY balcony.
The times that we have used the guarantee for a balcony our TA was specific that it was an unobstructed balcony guarantee. We've done it 2 or 3 times on Carnival and never a problem.

I went back in our emails and found this from one of the confirmations for our Miracle cruise last year.

Itinerary: 8 Night Exotic Southern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale roundtrip)

Departing On: 01/26/2008

Returning On: 02/03/2008

Cruise Line: Carnival Cruise Lines

Cruise Ship: Carnival Miracle

Dining Request: Main Seating (around 5:45pm)

Stateroom Category: 8A CATEGORY

Stateroom Number: Guaranteed

You have reserved a stateroom in category 8A CATEGORY. This ensures that your stateroom assignment will be within this category or higher. You will receive your stateroom assignment at the pier. Please note that categories do not correspond to deck levels on the ship. If you desire a specific location or specific amenities in your stateroom, you may wish to consider reserving an actual stateroom assignment, rather than the Category Guarantee option. If you wish to explore this possibility, please contact us as soon as possible.

The obstructed views are 7A. Now, sometimes guarantees are available and sometimes not. Maybe we just got lucky. But that's the way it's been for us & Carnival.

Also, our TA knows us and what we are looking for so maybe she inquired of Carnival when we booked. When you find a TA like that stick with 'em.:p

Charlie

We booked our first cruise with a balcony GTY on the Sensation. We leave in 6 days! We have been assigned to the very last cabin on the starboard side on one of the lower decks. We cant wait!

But agree with others if we were going with a group would have to pick the cabin.

Lexi

I have booked 1A GTY frequently, but now with the additional discount available from booking early (with a non-refundable deposit), I can't book GTY's anymore.

Several times the Upgrade fairy visited, but didn't for my next cruise in May.

• 1 month later...
I have never booked a GTY. I'm a cruise controll freak! I couldn't stand the unknown! I seek out those "special" rooms and "easy access" locations.

I don't care much about location at all. I don't get woozy in any area, and noise doesn't seem to bother me much either, so, would rather save a couple bucks.

Lexi

It depends. Twice I booked a cabin and twice I booked GTY. I really don't care about the room but the location.

Archived