how many people book GTY and not

Majesty Fan

Just wondering how many people book a GTY and how many do not. I have over 26 cruises on 3 cruise lines and was wondering how many people book the regular way. A specific cabin and how many do the GTY's. I book the GTY.

Lexi

I always pick the room only because I've got motion sickness issues so I want to stay mid-ships and as low as possible. Also when we've got the kids with us we have multiple cabins and want to keep them next to each other. If it wasn't for those two factors, though, I'd have no reason not to go with the gty.

On RCI I had guarantees 3 out of 5 times.

Carnival only once. It just never seems to be my best bet, like with the early saver I recently booked, I had to pick a cabin, no guarantees offered. I have nothing against them but on Carnival they just dont seem to work when I want to book.

We have been on two cruises and have done one of each. Last year, on the Ecstasy, our PVP suggested Riviera/midship, since we had not cruised before and didn't know if we would get seasick, do we were assigned at booking. This year we booked a gty OV on Conquest, got upgraded to a balcony on the Spa Deck. So, we have been on the very bottom and the very top of the ship;) Loved them both!!!

I've booked both. Only time I was unhappy with a room was one of the ones I picked. ;) It was two decks below the main pool and we could hear water running through pipes in the middle of the night and lasting forever. I assume it was draining or filling the pool or both. It was absolute misery. I still prefer to select my room, but I'm a little more specific in my selections. ;)

Just talked my aunt who booked an OV 6a to upgrade to a Bal guaratee for $160 more and when the assigned her room 2 days later she was an 8E on the Lido deck.

Thought that was great and now I'm thinking i'll start just booking guarantees.

Brinda

We base a lot on the price. There are times when the guarantee is not the best price in the category. Those times we will be booking a specific cabin. When the guarantee is the better price we'll be in the guarantee category.

Charlie

This will be our 4th cruise. 3 times we picked our location, including an Alaskan aft on the Spirit (unbelievablly amazing!). This year we booked with a large travel agency for the perks and all that was available was a balcony gty. We always have a balcony, so we booked an 8B gty. We now know, eventhough it could change, that we are on the Lido deck. We couldn't be happier, very convenient to everything. I think I'll chance another gty. but you have to be willing to accept whatever you get. This year worked out well!:)

We base a lot on the price. There are times when the guarantee is not the best price in the category. Those times we will be booking a specific cabin. When the guarantee is the better price we'll be in the guarantee category.

Charlie

Ditto!

6 cruises, GTY 3X...always happy with the cabin.

(Hi guys!)

This is number 2 for me and DW and we have gone each way once, last year we booked pretty late and the prices were good for the balcony so we booked a set room. This year the price for a GTY was too good to pass up so we went with it (I am pretty sure we picked deck 6 or higher but I am not 100% sure I remember that correctly), we sail in 8 days and I still haven't seen an asignment yet so I am hoping this is good news, as long as I have a room I will be pretty happy, I just want to SAIL!

It's rare that I will pick a guarantee. I generally like to know exactly which cabin I'm getting. I will only do it on a 3 or 4 day last minute cruise if all of the available cabins in my category are acceptable or if there is no other choice for my price range. I would never do it on a cruise lasting 7 days or longer.

RCI Sovereign - Received as a gift, someone else picked cabin.

CCL Imagination - Guarantee. Towards the bow. Only complaint was noise from bow thrusters when docking at 6am.

CCL Fascination - Picked cabins as we had three total so wanted them next to each other.

CCL Destiny - Picked cabin as I wanted to get an aft balcony for honeymoon.

Ditto!

6 cruises, GTY 3X...always happy with the cabin.

(Hi guys!)

Hi Deb:p

I forgot the one time we booked an aft cabin on the NCL Star for Alaska. That was probably the only time we've deviated from the "cheapskate" rule.:D

I have no clue about how we got our cabins for the cruises in the 1980s.

We booked an OV guarantee for our first Destiny cruise (pretty sure our TA upgraded us to a BL), and booked BL guarantee for our first Victory cruise. Chose cabins for the other cruises because of cabin number, or location recommendation or "had" to choose from what was available to them from booking agent.

I wouldn't mind booking guarantees for every cruise from now on. As long as I have a balcony, I'll be happy.

Archived