Why Do You Cruise?

drcpa

I like cruising for a few reasons:

1. I can see several countries or ports in one week.

2. I can see those countries and pack and unpack once.

3. I like to go, go , go on vacation and try to make the most out of doing excursions at each port.

4. It is mindless- just go to the dining room for dinner, don't have to make a decision as to what restaurant we'll choose to eat dinner in every night.

Good luck - enjoy your cruise!

Cruising is the only vacation that gives you the Christmas morning feeling in your stomach:p

That is so perfect! I always say, cruises are my Christmas, and it really is. My Mom says she has to scrape me off the ceiling on cruise morning :eek: (but she's kind of right ;)).

Everyone has had such great answers here already, I don't know how I can add to this. I'll try, though. Cruising is such a social vacation. Land vacations, you don't really meet too many people aside from tour guides and people like that. On cruises, you can meet as many (or as few) people as you want. And, almost everyone I've met on a cruise is in a good mood - I mean, we're all on vacation here, after all. Strangers make small talk with each other and have fun with it. You all have a shared experience in the ports and ship, and it makes for good conversation. I've met some really cool people just standing at the deck rail or at meals in the DR. That just doesn't happen often in the real world. For me, cruising is a special world where everything and everyone is just a tad nicer. :)

For me it boils down to 2 things:

1. Love of the ocean- we are avid boaters as well- nothing like the sea air and the gentle rocking of the boat as you lay in bed at night

2. Frequent business travel- a vacation that includes another hotel room ugh. No thanks. For some reason my rooms on a ship are just differrent from standard hotel fare.

There are many reasons I love to cruise. First, it is amazing to be able to unpack once and visit several different destinations in one week. I love to "escape" real live and live in luxury for a week at a time. I enjoy being pampered, eating amazing food, never having to clean up after myself, and not having to answer e-mail or phone calls! I have absolutely no decisions to make on a cruise, except what I want to do for the day, or what drink to order. It truly is a week of paradise. I can do as much or as little as I want to. I get to enjoy this experience with my husband, making wonderful memories that can only be topped by the next cruise vacation we will plan together.

All of the reasons listed are good and most make a cruise more enjoyable than some other vacations. and for me being in a WC it is one of the easier vacations to take, but the real reason I cruise is to look at the ocean. I spend hours each day and some time at night on my balcony or the Promenade looking at the Sea. I never tire of it.

I come from a long line of Sea Captains and Lighthouse keepers and I guess the Sea is in my blood, I am from Cape Cod and grew up around beaches, but deep ocean is something else again and I just love it.

I cruise for most of the reasons that have already been given, but would like to add one more.

I hate being cooped up in airplanes on long flights, even in first class with full reclining seats. When planning a trip to Europe, or South America, or even to Hawaii, if I have a choice between getting there by airplane or cruise ship, I would pick the cruise ship every time.

Now if I could fly on Air Force One and have that big private bedroom, maybe I would feel differently, but even then I think I would still prefer to go by cruise ship.

...for all your wonderful comments. The only problem now is how am I going to wait until September 18. I can see why so many of you use count down clocks and list your previous and upcoming cruises. I'm now so excited I can hardly stand it!!

...for all your wonderful comments. The only problem now is how am I going to wait until September 18. I can see why so many of you use count down clocks and list your previous and upcoming cruises. I'm now so excited I can hardly stand it!!

LOL...you will be fine. Excitement is a good thing:)

Spring will come and then the dog days of summer and

then fall will arrive and Sept will be here before you know it.:)

I am taking my first real cruise September 18, the Solstice out of Rome (and am new to the Forum).

I say "real cruise" as I don't count the sea portions of essentially land based trips I've taken; cruises from the French mainland to Corsica and Sardinia (two places I highly recommend, by the way) and cruises to various Scandinavian capitals.

Those trips were more on overnight ferries.

I tell you all this by way of asking the question, "What is it that you enjoy about cruising over other modes of travel?". (And I mean this in the best way. I in no way mean to imply that I don't understand or appreciate your passion. I'm honestly trying to learn here).

My wife is of the opinion that it's the destination that makes the trip, not the mode of transportation.

Her point is that if you want to go to XXXX (place your favorite destination(s) here) then you pick the fastest, most expedient way to get there, usually flying, of course, and head out.

I'm fascinated by this forum, as most people are informative, helpful, thoughtful and kind (which, in a way, speaks volumes about the kind of "good" folks who cruise). I'm particularly intrigued by many of you who have taken so many cruises over the years.

Obviously you love to cruise or you wouldn't come back over and over.

I'm about to experience some of this in six months. What I'd like to know is why you love it so much?

What about cruising has so captivated you?

Thanks for the consideration.

It makes me really feel I have "gotten away from it all." Reality seeps back in as we get home. To me a bus, car or plane is about transportation. A cruise is about relaxing.

We are new to cruising and my husband tells me I am now a cruise addict. We first sailed on the Navigator of the Seas in March 2008 and had a hump cabin - loved it and slept with the sliders open during the night to hear the ocean!! We love the ocean. I would wake up real early in the morning and stand on the balcony to see our arrival in a new port. Nothing like the views on a ship. We have our second cruise coming up in September 2009 - 7 night Mediterranean on the Voyager of the Seas (another hump cabin). I am in the process of booking a 5 night cruise on the Century for March 2010 (hopefully our TA was able to book the balcony room (veranda) we wanted). If our wallets allowed - I would have more cruises booked - there is no better way to go! You see so much in so little time for so little money!

I love ships. I have sailed on many ships. I have found a great deal of variances. I still love ships.

To me it is not the destination, it is the ship. the shows. The Wine tasting. The Caviar Bar. The breakfast on the Veranda, with nothing but Sea in all directions.

I am glad you are sailing on the Solstice. We were on-board in Jan. I think

she is a beautifu ship. The service. The dining rooms, there are five including the Main dining room.

The shows are amazing. I spent many hours sitting in Michaels Club talking with new friends. Lazy evening by the Lawn club reading. Watching the people move about the ship in a dance only found on-board a Beautiful ship, with wonderful art and plush seating and strolling violins.

You have to love the Sea, before you love to cruise. If water is not you element. You will never understand the love of Ships.

You will love the Solstice. I have booked each new Solstice Vessel.

The Equinox in March 2010 and the Eclipse in November.

I love Ships.:cool:

I cruise because it's like being able to experience one of those all inclusive resorts (sort of) but you just happen to be gliding across the water and the scenery keeps changing! What more could you want??? :p

Archived