Why Do You Cruise?

drcpa

I am taking my first real cruise September 18, the Solstice out of Rome (and am new to the Forum).

I say "real cruise" as I don't count the sea portions of essentially land based trips I've taken; cruises from the French mainland to Corsica and Sardinia (two places I highly recommend, by the way) and cruises to various Scandinavian capitals.

Those trips were more on overnight ferries.

I tell you all this by way of asking the question, "What is it that you enjoy about cruising over other modes of travel?". (And I mean this in the best way. I in no way mean to imply that I don't understand or appreciate your passion. I'm honestly trying to learn here).

My wife is of the opinion that it's the destination that makes the trip, not the mode of transportation.

Her point is that if you want to go to XXXX (place your favorite destination(s) here) then you pick the fastest, most expedient way to get there, usually flying, of course, and head out.

I'm fascinated by this forum, as most people are informative, helpful, thoughtful and kind (which, in a way, speaks volumes about the kind of "good" folks who cruise). I'm particularly intrigued by many of you who have taken so many cruises over the years.

Obviously you love to cruise or you wouldn't come back over and over.

I'm about to experience some of this in six months. What I'd like to know is why you love it so much?

What about cruising has so captivated you?

Thanks for the consideration.

First off - congrats - I am sure you will be addicted just like the rest of us.

Second - while we cruise we also still enjoy land vacations. (Spent 10 glorious days in Abaco Bahamas last summer)

But to answer your question. For us there are a number of reasons.

1. Ease of getting to multiple destinations. Get on the ship, unpack once and go to many ports. Usually travelling at night while you are asleep and then voila' waking up in a new place.

2. The new places you get to go to. Last Med cruise we visited six countries on a 9 night cruise. And we did it for $ 899. a person for a deluxe balcony cabin. Try doing that on a land vacation.

3. As stated above for $899. per person we had 9 nights of "hotel", all our food, entertainment, and transportation. So value is a big factor.

4. We cruise for the ports but the ship is also a destination too. So much to do - or nothing at all. You choose.

These are the big ones for us..... lots of other reasons too. Like the color blue of the ocean, watching the flying fish skim over the water. Checking ot the stars at night in the middle of nowhere - lots brighter.

So lots of reasons to become addicted :D Hope you have a great trip !

I am taking my first real cruise September 18, the Solstice out of Rome (and am new to the Forum).

I say "real cruise" as I don't count the sea portions of essentially land based trips I've taken; cruises from the French mainland to Corsica and Sardinia (two places I highly recommend, by the way) and cruises to various Scandinavian capitals.

I tell you all this by way of asking the question, "What is it that you enjoy about cruising over other modes of travel?". (And I mean this in the best way. I in no way mean to imply that I don't understand or appreciate your passion. I'm honestly trying to learn here).

My wife is of the opinion that it's the destination that makes the trip, not the mode of transportation.

Her point is that if you want to go to XXXX (place your favorite destination(s) here) then you pick the fastest, most expedient way to get there, usually flying, of course, and head out.

I'm fascinated by this forum, as most people are informative, helpful, thoughtful and kind (which, in a way, speaks volumes about the kind of "good" folks who cruise). I'm particularly intrigued by many of you who have taken so many cruises over the years.

I'm about to experience some of this in six months. What I'd like to know is why you love it so much?

We are also taking the Solstice out of Rome... in May. I don't even know how many cruises I have been on. I haven't really kept track. I love it for many reasons. I took my husband on his first cruise when we got married in Barcelona... on a cruise ship! He never wanted to go with me. He thought it would be crowded and he would feel like he was herded everywhere. It only took one Med. cruise to change his mind.

1. I love being able to unpack ONCE! I love unloading all my stuff and that is where it stays until I need to pack up to go home. All this and many destinations.

2. I love experiencing new ships. It is so much fun to just wander around some of these floating cities...

3. I VERY much enjoy the social aspect of a cruise. We have seriously made life long friends that we have met on cruises.

4. Cruising is great for people, like me, who can't make up their mind as to where to go for a land based holiday. For us going to Europe (which is my favorite place to be) it is next to impossible to pick one or two places. I love going through different itineraries and deciding what cruise is next!:D

5. This ship is definitely part of the vacation. It is a destination in itself.

It's great to come back after a day of touring to a familiar place where you can go to the "neighborhood" bar on the 5th deck and see your favorite bartender. Or just rest on your balcony as you watch the city you just fell in love with disappear until next time... Or you meet up with all your new friends at the Martini Bar and all tell about your day. You have as much alone time as you want, or as little. It really does appeal to so many types of people. I think that is one of the things that fills all these cruise ships. There really IS something for everyone.

And, like Texancruzer stated... it really is an amazing value! We have gotten such a great price on our Solstice cruise. There is no way that we could see these parts of the world for what this is costing. It is your transportation, entertainment, meals and more... all for one price.

I do hope you enjoy your first cruise. Best thing to do is read about the good things.... don't spend much time reading bad reviews. Make up your own mind about things. I am always amazed at how much some people let the strangers on the Cruise Critic influence their decision to DO or not do something. Sometimes it is hard to know if all this information is good, you know? Enjoy!!! It's amazing! I have cruised the Med twice before in September. It was incredible!

cruising is a great way to see a little bit of a lot of places

comparatively it is a reasonably inexpensive way to travel

you need unpack only once

very relaxing and you have the opportunity to meet interesting people

hava great cruise

I like to think of cruising as a "floating hotel" with a wonderful new adventure each day as you awake to a new exciting place. This combined with the food and service that you experience makes a truly memorable vacation.Most of all, you may engage and participate in activities or if you prefer, you may do absolutely nothing...its your imagination.

Enjoy!

Cruising is just a very small part of our travel and vacations.

When we do cruise we do spend a lot of time in our suite unless we are doing land tours.

We don't care about dressing for formal night, the so called entertainment, meeting the captain, or what ever, only the itinerary is important to us.

Plus we get really tired of being nickeled and dimed on cruise lines when other places drinks are free, and you don't have to pay extra to eat really good food at the so called "specialty restaurants "

We also spend a lot of time renting or sharing cottages, condos, or townhouses, in different places in the world, and AI's which usually include airfare which is a big bonus for us.

We can get burned out just cruising or just staying at AI's or what not.

So we keep it rotated.

We do a lot of different kinds of vacations but come back to cruises every few years. We like cruises because we get to see some new places. We tend to cruise to places we have never been to before and if we especially like someplace, we tend to go back there for an extended land vacation. Our Hawaii cruise showed us which islands we would like to go back to (Maui and Big Island). After our Caribbean Cruise, we have been back to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen a few times and other places in Mexico, and we had an amazing trip to Belize last November.

I love sitting on the ship watching the ocean going by. I like the shows at night, wondering between the bars hearing the different music being played, the restaurants. The food does tend to be better than at the all inclusive hotels in Mexico. Although I love Mexican food so I like the AI's, too (and who doesn't like as many drinks you want for no extra charge???).

There is nothing quite like arriving at the dock, stepping out and seeing the ship you'll be going on for the first time. And wondering the ship the first day seeing everything for the first time. We're really looking forward to our first veranda and first aft facing cabin this cruise we have coming up in Nov.

My friends will all tell you that I'm a cruise addict. It's my favorite kind of vacation by far.

There is no other vacation that comes close to the value of cruising. For instance we are booked on the Connie next August- a 14 night trip in Europe for less than $4000. There is no way that hotels alone would cost that, not to mention meals and entertainment.

We live in NYC and can get any kind of food day or night. In my neighborhood we can walk to Italian, French, Greek, Turkish, Thai, Mexican, Pakistani, Israeli and even Tibetan restaurants. So although tasting different kinds of food was once one of our main reasons for foreign travel, it's not nearly as important as it used to be. On our last 2 Mediterranean cruises- one on Celebrity and one on Hal I thought the food was better on the ship than it was in the places we could afford on land (the dollar is really weak).

I'm a water baby and love to look at the blue, blue ocean. I like knowing that my husband and I can have breakfast at different times if one of us wants to sleep late, that we have a choice of entertainment every night and can leave if we don't like it without wasting a cover charge, that I only pack and unpack once, that my cabin steward will make up my room twice during the day, that the waiter in the dining room knows that my husband wants tea and I want decaf every night, that the Asst maitre'D comes over to ask how our day was (so what if he doesn't really care), that I can order room service without getting sticker shock, that the friendly atmosphere means that I can meet people from all over the world.

I like that I spend a lot of time on ships laughing-especially if it's the Connie where I can spend most evenings listening to Perry Grant.

My only regret is that there are 183 days until I board the Connie again, but who's counting?

Cruising is the only vacation that gives you the Christmas morning feeling in your stomach:p

OMG:)...I get that feeling and don't even celebrate Christmas:D

(1) When we took our first cruise, it was the ship that was the destination. I did not really care where it went (in the Caribbean). We wanted to experience what ocean liner cruising was like; hence, our choice of Celebrity, based on our Travel Agent's recommendation. We both love the formal nights, and what used to be informal nights, and did not bother with casual nights at all. We still feel that way. I just want to get on the ship! We have never been tempted,yet, away from Celebrity.

(2) We do like the shore excursions, though they actually were a pleasurable secondary experience at first.

(3) We really noticed the movable hotel aspect of cruising on our Baltic cruise. Several years before, we had taken a bus tour in Europe for three weeks. We covered a lot of countries and highway vistas, but, unless we were in a city for more than one night, it was very hectic. On our Baltic cruise, we really noticed that we unpacked once and then brought our room with us. What a pleasure that was.

In the end, though, we like the ambience of the ship; formal night, dressing up regardless of the new smart casual code, every night for dinner (totally different from everyday life), the production shows, many of the individual performers brought on board, but especially, the dancing....every night before/after dinner in the Rendez-vous Lounge, and often in the disco as well. Then, there's poolside; reading, lounging, swimming, people watching, sun, shade, drinks by the pool. Ahhhh....cannot wait for the next cruise. :D

While I cruise for many of the reasons already mentioned, I also love to cruise because my husband is the worlds pickiest eater and since there are so many things he won't eat, it is difficult to travel to foreign countries. Actually, it's hard to even travel in the US. I dread the "where are we going to eat?" for dinner conversation that always comes up with land based trips. I simply don't have that on a cruise - there isn't a discussion because we already know, and for me that is worth a million dollars. We both know on a cruise if he doesn't like what is served he can order something else, or go to the buffet.

Cruising is the only vacation that gives you the Christmas morning feeling in your stomach:p

SO TRUE!:)

I automatically remembered the morning we arrived in Santorini, Greece and went out to the balcony to see the huge island in front of us...just amazing to think that only a few people can be in a place like that and even fewer with a view like that:cool: That is the real essence of cruising....I could write a book about good things of cruising but I decided to just post this picture and whoever is still in doubt about doing it or not will decide....;)

Picture930.jpg

You will find the cruise very different from your land based European vacations. Emphasis definitely is on the ship and not on the ports. At each port, you will get a taste (or what I call a tease!). If you do not do heavy-duty all day tours in each place, the trip can be very relaxing. Most cruisers get carried away and try to see all they can in a very short time. Then they need a vacation from their vacation!

Also, the focus is on an American style of life. You don't really have time to experience the local restaurants or lifestyle.

Having said all this, the cruise is still an enjoyable experience. Just different. It is especially relaxing if you visit familiar ports, spend some leisure time there and then return to the ship, which really feels like going home, each time!

For ourselves, we prefer a cruise for winter vacation. Having cruised the Mediterranean once, and visited many of the Med countries on land, we enjoy spending more time in fewer places. I am sure that one day we will be ready for another Med cruise, but not yet!

One more thought. If you can, it's a wonderful opportunity to add a few days at both/either ends and have a little land experience as well.

Enjoy!

Makes us think what really draws us to cruising. I was in the Navy 20+years and it took my wife a while to talk me into paying to go back to sea – when we did, I'm the one who wants to keep going back as much as possible.

Why?

Mine is the ship and at-sea days. We live in the Fla Panhandle and have beautiful beaches and fine restaurants, so most Caribbean islands are not that big for us. I'm one of those jerks who when asked about a good restaurant in port, point back at the ship saying that that is the best one in town – and free!

We go with a balcony and I love sitting out there watching the sea go by, the sharp horizon, the other ships and the sea life: trying to 'time' the flying fish, identifying the seabirds (bought a book on them), and watching for dolphins and whales.

I love meeting new people on board, and getting to know better old friends who joined us. I love the private time a cruise gives me to just hang out with my wife, doing what she loves to do, and she doing what I want. Lots of time to share and just relax.

A ship takes you to some great ports. Not enough time to really explore them, but if you focus on one objective, you can get a lot out of a port. I may stress the onboard experience more, but I do love exotic ports: we sailed the S American itinerary and loved the Falkland Islands. So different from what we've ever seen. But even on that port-intensive cruise, the highlight was at sea as we approached Cape Horn. One of the solo female sailors was rounding the Horn at the same time. I got a panoramic of her small sailboat and Cape Horn. Hope to send it to her some day.

When deciding to cruise, we usually go to Celebrity first and then compare other cruises. We've enjoyed all our cruises (Celebrity, Princess, RCL, Carnival), we find Celebrity to be our favorite. My opinion is the Celebrity ship experience is superior: excellent service, fine dining and a lower-key environment.

May change my mind about the at-sea days being my favorite time after our East Med cruise, but then again, we follow it up with a Transatlantic!

Denny

Lets see why I like cruising.

I have worked in the hotel industry for 20 years from destination resorts to business hotels and have had my fair share or traveling in all modes planes/boats/cars.

Cruising to me if this is a factor(which to many it is)is the most bang for the buck. As someone stated where can you get 24 hour food/entertainment for one nice price.

I also like the idea of cruising cause it gives you a great idea of the ports. I have done this and gone back to an island and or city(Barcelona) for en extended time afterward s for a future trip.

I like the idea of choosing not to worry about the travel ...on the same ship and room the entire cruise. No unpacking or worring about the car plane etc. Your free to move about the ship and indulge in its activities or do absolutely nothing....Im good at that one.

I think the main factor to me always has been the bang for the buck is unbeatable and the bliss of not being rushed and everything always readily available.

After reading my over-long tome above, I just couldn't hold off adding more! Cruising is great for Group Travel. We've taken our families on Thanksgiving cruises (2), daugher's wedding and with a number of friends. Cruise vacations are perfect for this. One of the group (usually me) doesn't have to be the 'organizer' each day: what-where-where-how long. You don't have to try to get everybody in one place at one time to leave the hotel; you don't have to go through the drill of what people eat and more importantly, WON'T eat (see MEK's comments). You all get on board, pick what you want to do, meet for drinks before dining and enjoy. You can meet up so easily, do your own thing or join others. Perfect for groups. We've had problems when someone thinks all should be hooked at the hip – their issue – but it works out for most. And very relaxing for the person who usually turns into the organizer! Each can enjoy their own pace; some grouping it and others enjoying a bit of personal time. A great mix.

Denny

Cruising is not a mode of transportation to destinations -the cruise is the "destination". The ship itself is like a floating hotel or resort- instead of seeing the sights in just one city, you can see sights in several places with only having to unpack just once.

And after seeing those sights, you come back to the ship; go to the spa or pool; have a wonderful, relaxing dinner; see a show or movie; dance the night away; and go to bed only to wake up to see a new location - have a wonderful breakfast before starting the process over again going to see new sights.

A cruise should be picked out carefully - there are many different lines each catering to a different niche. Too many people pick out a cruise by price and itinerary alone without realizing that over half of their time will be spent on the ship and then wonder why this vacation experience did not meet their criteria for an ideal vacation.

After several years of cruising for the ports, we now cruise for the shipboard experience. If we are in a new port (to us), we may get off the ship - otherwise, we enjoy the experiences on the ship. We did a 28 day cruise (back to back 14 day cruises) in the Med and transatlantic. We did the Med cruise for the ports (we had never been to most of the ports before) and did the transatlantic for the shipboard experience (love those sea days) and to rest up from all the heavy daily touring on the Med cruise.

I am one of those who just started cruising in 2003

(as opposed to the really longtimers who have been doing it

since the 80s and 90s).

I found it through my sister really. I was deciding what to do

for a vacation and knew sis had cruised for a long, long time.

She recommended Celebrity to me.

1/2 through that first sailing I knew I was hooked.:)

I live on my own and travel that way as well. I love seeing

new places and meeting new people. I love being able to unpack

once not worry about anything for the rest of the week.

I love eating good food and receiving good service. I now

have life long friends I met through this venue of cruising.

There are places I have been that otherwise I probably would

never have visited (and hoping to visit more as time

go by).

Oh, being pampered for a week is always a good thing:)

I love being able to sit out on deck and watching that

beautiful water.....peaceful, serene.....

No place else I would rather be......

I love the ocean! Always something different to watch/notice. Absolutely adore being waited on. Enjoying a leisurely breakfast on the balcony in the morning is a real treat. And the packing/unpacking only once issue is more of a draw the older I get. Also like seeing different places, even if you're only getting a "taste." You can always go back for more.

And it's the only way to go if you're planning a reunion. Land-based reunions are WAY too much work. There is no way you can please everyone. There are a lot more options for people on a cruise.

I love the ocean! quote]

Me too! I grew up with a beach home we were used to go almost every weekend so I just can't stay much away from the ocean and there's not a better way to visit the ocean than on a cruise....on our last cruise I stayed for about 2 hours alone in our balcony just studying since I was missing school and listening to the sea while we were leaving Honduras and then I figured out how much I love cruising :):cool:

Our first cruise was in 1998, saw an ad in a local newspaper for cruising. Our first cruise was on the Zenith. We were hooked:rolleyes::)from that point on. Here it is 11 yrs later and 22 cruises. Haven't cruised Celebrity since 2006 but we are looking forward to sailing on the Summit to Bermuda.

We are happiest on the high seas;) nothing like being at sea and looking out into the ocean, I always say "Life does not get better then this". I always feel like a different person while cruising. Since 1998 there has been no better way to vacation for us:)

Laura

Archived