Only toilet trained children in pools

papadave

Well, at least the adults who wear Depends are potty trained. They have enough sense to go to the potty as quickly as possible when the urge arrives. And if they have lost all of their abilities to control their urge, they have enough will power to stay out of the pools.

Quite the contrary with children not potty trained.

Well, at least the adults who wear Depends are potty trained. They have enough sense to go to the potty as quickly as possible when the urge arrives. And if they have lost all of their abilities to control their urge, they have enough will power to stay out of the pools.

Quite the contrary with children not potty trained.

Yea, if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. :D :D :D

DT

An adult only pool would solve the problem because adults never pee in pools especially ones who have been drinking cocktails all day by them.

Or the elderly who never seem to wipe well enough!?:eek: It never seems to cross my mind ever time I see someone assisting them into the pools?!:rolleyes: Everytime I see it, I think to myself, there soes another one taking their evening bath before dinner. LOL Pools are just huge cest (sp?) pools and are filled with bacteria. I never swim in them and only use the showers on deck to cool off.

Or the elderly who never seem to wipe well enough!?:eek: It never seems to cross my mind ever time I see someone assisting them into the pools?!:rolleyes: Everytime I see it, I think to myself, there soes another one taking their evening bath before dinner. LOL Pools are just huge cest (sp?) pools and are filled with bacteria. I never swim in them and only use the showers on deck to cool off.

you just keepa laughing...you'll be old one day:D

LMAO...but pee is sterile, right? :D

Except in cases of kidney or urinary tract infection (UTI), urine is virtually sterile and nearly odorless. Subsequent to elimination from the body, urine can acquire strong odors due to bacterial action. Most noticeably, the asphyxiating ammonia is produced by breakdown of urea. Some diseases alter the quantity and consistency of the urine, such as sugar as a consequence of diabetes.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

(would you drink it?)

On tap in space: Urine will not go to waste

from

http://abcnews.go.com/technology/story?id=4858780&page=1

Except in cases of kidney or urinary tract infection (UTI), urine is virtually sterile and nearly odorless. Subsequent to elimination from the body, urine can acquire strong odors due to bacterial action. Most noticeably, the asphyxiating ammonia is produced by breakdown of urea. Some diseases alter the quantity and consistency of the urine, such as sugar as a consequence of diabetes.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

(would you drink it?)

On tap in space: Urine will not go to waste

from

http://abcnews.go.com/technology/story?id=4858780&page=1

Urea becomes quite odiforous once it turns to NH3 (good old ammonia). :D

DT

ooh, girl, I didn't want to know that much about pee:D

Oh, I know...I just thought it might deter people from peeing. I don't get in public pools. It just grosses me out to much.

If anyone hear has experienced Norovirus, then they would advocate a zero tolerance policy toward diapers and non-toilet trained kids in pools. I do not intend to have my expensive vacation spoiled by contracting something because some entitlement parent feels it's their kids' right go and do whatever they want and the hell with everyone else.

Sorry, but I manage a retirement community and just went through a seven day building lockdown because of Noro. :mad:

Believe me, I'm not defending any parent who allows a non potty trained child into a cruise ship swimming pool. The rules are the rules and I completely understand why there are in place. And I support those rules. I was curious though if public swimming pools (not on cruise ships) allowed swim diapers. And I found that they did.

I just did a little net research on swim diapers and it seems that unless a child is ill and has diarhea, the swim diapers are pretty effective. So while my personal opinion is that I don't trust people to do the right thing and keep their child out of the pool when they are ill, and still support the rule, it seems as if we most likely have a lot less to worry about then we may have thought. It doesn't look as if they are a tea bag. LOL

Here's some info I found:

From the CDC website:

"Be aware that swim diapers and swim pants are not a solution for a child with diarrhea or a substitute for frequent diaper changing. It is recommended that you change your child often and make frequent trips to the toilet while swimming."

From other sources:

How Swim Diapers work: "Strong elastic around the leg holes and waistband set swim diapers apart from regular diapers. In addition, swim diapers do not contain the absorbent polymers contained in disposable diapers, nor the layers of cotton in reusable diapers, in order to prevent the over- absorption of water. The main function of swim diapers is not to absorb fecal matter and urine but to contain it, along with any virus or bacteria that may accompany it. For safety issues, public pools require the use of swim diapers. Many facilities sell the disposable kind."

A study done at UNC: "A group of researchers out of the University of North Carolina (Asheville, N.C.) decided to test the claim. They examined the solids retention effectiveness of three major brands of swim diapers as well as of conventional disposable diapers, under simulated water play conditions. Swim diapers of all three brands exhibited an approximately equal fine-solids retention capability of about 98 to 99 percent over 30 minutes of water immersion activity."

Also, regarding the issue of the blow up pools, they are a wonderful solution for smaller kids/babies. Not on the balcony, as the logistics of filling and emptying a pool on a balcony is a nightmare in my opnion. LOL But, we actually took a small blowup pool with us last March on a cruise. My grandson was 10 months old and we wanted him to be able to play and splash in the water. We simply put the pool up on the pool deck, filled it, let him play as much as he wanted, and then emptied it into a drain. It was easy, and worked great.

CG

Yes, but that last 1-2% is too much for me! :(

DT

As no one has mentioned it yet, I'll chime in with another reason: The size of cruise ship pools. Generally, public pools that allow children in swim diapers are not only very heavily chlorinated, they are also usually many times larger than pools on cruise ships. There is the "dilution" factor to consider. In a large, freshwater, highly chlorinated swimming pool, any contamination is going to dilute faster and possibly be killed. OTOH, whenever any visible "matter" (you all know what I mean) is discovered in even the largest, most heavily chlorinated pools, those pools are closed and given the "shock" treatment as well as additional filtration.

If swim diapers (and similar) are not allowed, then just don't do it. You put everyone, including yourself, at risk. How incredibly selfish. The regulations are not arbitrary.

beachchick

p.s., We are among those who do not use ship pools because we don't care for the "tea bag" effect and don't care to have our vacation ruined.

If swim diapers (and similar) are not allowed, then just don't do it. You put everyone, including yourself, at risk. How incredibly selfish. The regulations are not arbitrary.

beachchick

Beachchick and I agree again! I don't understand why the rule is so hard to understand.... the LAW says no swim diapers in pools because of a health hazzard. Why do people think that they are above the law??

As Beachchick says, it is not arbitrary and those who whine and complain about it are incredibly selfish and just plain losers.

Why we don't swim in public pools:

From the CDC website:

"The most common illness spread through use of swimming pools is diarrhea. If swimmers are ill with diarrhea, the germs that they carry can contaminate the water if they have an "accident" in the pool. On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water. "

.14 grams per person, on average

Sorry to gross you out, but thats why we don't swim in public pools...

Why we don't swim in public pools:

From the CDC website:

"The most common illness spread through use of swimming pools is diarrhea. If swimmers are ill with diarrhea, the germs that they carry can contaminate the water if they have an "accident" in the pool. On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water. "

.14 grams per person, on average

Sorry to gross you out, but thats why we don't swim in public pools...[/quote

That is a nasty fact, and Children and "larger" adults that can't clean themselves well contribute even more.

This is soo disgusting - I must forget I ever read this. Why would people pee in the pool? They're also swimming in there. Do they also pee in their own bathtub while their having a bath? :confused: Disgusting. Now I understand why my mom would never enter the cruise pool - she just said she felt it was disgusting > I guess she didn't want to ruin our vacation... :p

An adult only pool would be nice. In addition, adding that stuff that turns the water another color if you do pee in the water might stop the peeing.

A friend of mine was tired of his family bringing their kids to his pool. He knew they were peeing in it because they never got out. Of course they insisted they were not. He purchased some of that stuff, put it in the pool and lo and behold the water began changing colors around the sister when SHE peed. :eek:My friend pointed it out and she was so embaressed and mad that she jerked her kids out of the pool and they went home.:D

http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

Somebodys not being honest

Archived