Only toilet trained children in pools

papadave

I think NCL assumes that if a child is wearing diapers, then they are not potty trained. So, they're saying no un-potty trained children allowed.

I know it's true that some parents get around that and just let their peepeeing/pooping kid in the pool sans diapers, but I don't think it's NCL's fault for not adding the obvious "and not potty trained" to the rule. Just my 2 cents.

Who the heck is Capt. Obvious?

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Well, at least the adults who wear Depends are potty trained. They have enough sense to go to the potty as quickly as possible when the urge arrives. And if they have lost all of their abilities to control their urge, they have enough will power to stay out of the pools.

Quite the contrary with children not potty trained.

Hmm, sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. We have seen on one or two occassions, on different cruise lines ADULTS coming out of the pool with their Depends on and drooping from the water in them. REALLY, REALLY DISGUSTING.

http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

Somebodys not being honest

Urine-indicator dye is a fictional substance thought to form some sort of colored cloud in a pool to indicate the presence of urine. It's commonly believed to exist in the United States, Canada, and Spain amongst other countries.Experts on such matters say although a reliable dye could be produced, the trick would be getting it to react only to urine and not trigger in the presence of similar organic compounds likely present in swimming pools. It's not a compound anyone appears to be working on either, and understandably so.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine-indicator_dye

I wonder if they have Fecal Indicator Dye?

I think NCL assumes that if a child is wearing diapers, then they are not potty trained. So, they're saying no un-potty trained children allowed.

I know it's true that some parents get around that and just let their peepeeing/pooping kid in the pool sans diapers, but I don't think it's NCL's fault for not adding the obvious "and not potty trained" to the rule. Just my 2 cents.

Who the heck is Capt. Obvious?

I totally agree (add my 2 cents to your 2 cents) that it is NCL's responsibility to state the rules clearly and 'enforce' them. It is an important health issue and possibly will prevent the spread of the norovirus.

And while they're at it add that any adults wearing Depends type briefs should also refrain from being in the pools and hot tubs.

Ugh! Yuck! I am so staying out of those pools. Yucky, yuck!

I totally agree (add my 2 cents to your 2 cents) that it is NCL's responsibility to state the rules clearly and 'enforce' them. It is an important health issue and possibly will prevent the spread of the norovirus.

And while they're at it add that any adults wearing Depends type briefs should also refrain from being in the pools and hot tubs.

Ugh! Yuck! I am so staying out of those pools. Yucky, yuck!

My wife and I were on a RCCL cruise about 5 years ago ... one afternoon, we were enjoying the hot tub, when an elderly gentelman got into the tub wearing what could only graciously be described as Fruit of the Looms that were about 3 or 4 sizes too big for him. The first thing he did was apologize to us for wearing his underwear, but that he "forgot" that cruise ships had pools, and his daughter told him to just swim in an old pair of briefs.

To say that we quickly exited the hot tub for safer harbours would be an understatement.

Michael and Silke

The first thing he did was apologize to us for wearing his underwear, but that he "forgot" that cruise ships had pools, and his daughter told him to just swim in an old pair of briefs.

Wow...too bad his daughter didn't mention to him that he could check the ships store/gift shop and probably find some trunks there

My wife and I were on a RCCL cruise about 5 years ago ... one afternoon, we were enjoying the hot tub, when an elderly gentelman got into the tub wearing what could only graciously be described as Fruit of the Looms that were about 3 or 4 sizes too big for him. The first thing he did was apologize to us for wearing his underwear, but that he "forgot" that cruise ships had pools, and his daughter told him to just swim in an old pair of briefs.

To say that we quickly exited the hot tub for safer harbours would be an understatement.

Michael and Silke

OMW!! That is outrageous!! ... And disgusting!

Why we don't swim in public pools:

From the CDC website:

"The most common illness spread through use of swimming pools is diarrhea. If swimmers are ill with diarrhea, the germs that they carry can contaminate the water if they have an "accident" in the pool. On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water. "

.14 grams per person, on average

Sorry to gross you out, but thats why we don't swim in public pools...

Sorry, NCboatboy, I'd hate to have the job of extracting the contaminants from someones aft and weighing that particulate matter, if you know what I mean???? :p

Michael and Silke

I'm sorry, but I would have instantly told him he was not welcome in the HT without proper swimming attire...No ifs and or BUTTs (pun intended). I would not have allowed him to sink his posterior in the water! And I would have gotten very loud and assertive if he refused to listen. I would not have allowed it!!! People like that are completely uncivilized and ignorant, to say the least!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Whew, that got my blood to boilin'!! I wish I'd been there, Michael!

DT

These swim diapers are a scam. They simply don't work.

See this article about how children under aged five were banned from some county pools in Utah and why:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695217669,00.html

My town pool does not allow non-toilet trained children in the "adult pool." We have a kiddie pool for the diaper set.

Most of the condos in our area also don't allow diapers of any sort in the pools and stipulate that all children using the pool must be toilet trained.

And this, from the CDC:

Swim Diapers and Swim Pants

The use of swim diapers and swim pants may give many parents and pool staff a false sense of security regarding fecal contamination.

Little scientific information exists on how well they are able to keep feces or infection-causing germs from leaking into the pool. Even though diapers or swim pants may hold in some feces, they are not leak proof and can still contaminate the pool water. It is unlikely that swim diapers are able to keep diarrheal stools, the high risk event, from leaking into the pool and no manufacturers claim these products prevent leakage of diarrhea into pools.

more at:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthySwimming/swim_diapers.htm

Believe me, I'm not defending any parent who allows a non potty trained child into a cruise ship swimming pool. The rules are the rules and I completely understand why there are in place. And I support those rules. I was curious though if public swimming pools (not on cruise ships) allowed swim diapers. And I found that they did.

I just did a little net research on swim diapers and it seems that unless a child is ill and has diarhea, the swim diapers are pretty effective. So while my personal opinion is that I don't trust people to do the right thing and keep their child out of the pool when they are ill, and still support the rule, it seems as if we most likely have a lot less to worry about then we may have thought. It doesn't look as if they are a tea bag. LOL

Here's some info I found:

From the CDC website:

"Be aware that swim diapers and swim pants are not a solution for a child with diarrhea or a substitute for frequent diaper changing. It is recommended that you change your child often and make frequent trips to the toilet while swimming."

From other sources:

How Swim Diapers work: "Strong elastic around the leg holes and waistband set swim diapers apart from regular diapers. In addition, swim diapers do not contain the absorbent polymers contained in disposable diapers, nor the layers of cotton in reusable diapers, in order to prevent the over- absorption of water. The main function of swim diapers is not to absorb fecal matter and urine but to contain it, along with any virus or bacteria that may accompany it. For safety issues, public pools require the use of swim diapers. Many facilities sell the disposable kind."

A study done at UNC: "A group of researchers out of the University of North Carolina (Asheville, N.C.) decided to test the claim. They examined the solids retention effectiveness of three major brands of swim diapers as well as of conventional disposable diapers, under simulated water play conditions. Swim diapers of all three brands exhibited an approximately equal fine-solids retention capability of about 98 to 99 percent over 30 minutes of water immersion activity."

Also, regarding the issue of the blow up pools, they are a wonderful solution for smaller kids/babies. Not on the balcony, as the logistics of filling and emptying a pool on a balcony is a nightmare in my opnion. LOL But, we actually took a small blowup pool with us last March on a cruise. My grandson was 10 months old and we wanted him to be able to play and splash in the water. We simply put the pool up on the pool deck, filled it, let him play as much as he wanted, and then emptied it into a drain. It was easy, and worked great.

CG

Gram, we went to Myrtle Beach with friends last September. The sign at the hotel/condominium where we stayed was very clear. It said no swim diapers or children not potty trained. I remember well becuase my friends had their grand daughter who was not potty trained and they were taking her in the pool until I pointed the sign out to them.

I understand this IS a US law made after several little children died from ecoli from swimming at Whitewater, in Atlanta, Ga about 15 years ago. You may remember. I remember because I live near there and the place went bankrupt because of all the lawsuits. Six Flags bought this place and took it over and Six Flags put in those sprinkle systems for the babies/toddlers. the sprinklers are supposed to be safer. I know Disney ships also has this for the little ones.

This thread shows WHY I would never go in a ship's pool. Too many inconsiderate people with kids who choose not to follow the rules. I live in Florida and have my own pool, so the days I'm on a cruise I don't need the pool OR the chair hogs who prevail.

So the kiddies are in a pool with feces pieces.:eek:

I hope the kiddie pool has a separate filtration system;)

I agree, all those children who died after being at Whitewater 10-15 years ago were in the kiddie pool area. So a little kid with diarrhea gave them ecoli and killed them.

Parents with little ones have to look at this way-not that their poor little one is be deprived, but that their little one's life may very well be saved, because if their little one is allowed in with a diaper or swim pants, than that other child who is sick, is allowed also.

Sorry, NCboatboy, I'd hate to have the job of extracting the contaminants from someones aft and weighing that particulate matter, if you know what I mean???? :p

It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

MikeNJ1109,

It never ceases to amaze me the b@ll$ some people have (pun intended!!!). lol What a flimsy excuse...my daughter said! You and your wife did the right thing by leaving. Like I said previously, I really think that NCL should exclude people who wear Depends from the pools as well children.

Archived