Only toilet trained children in pools

papadave

soooo.......why don't they chlorinate the water in the pools???? or at least in the kiddie pool?:confused:

While the bacteria-killing properties of chlorine are very useful, chlorine also has some side effects that can be annoying to humans, and possibly even hazardous.

from

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question652.htm

• Administrators
soooo.......why don't they chlorinate the water in the pools???? or at least in the kiddie pool?:confused:

Because they replace the water frequently (oil from sunscreen, etc, in those small pools -- it looks nasty and foamy within hours), and it takes time for chlorine to work, I believe.

• Administrators
I have failed, I am unable to link the Whitewater reference. Can I go on:(

Try this one -- http://www.about-ecoli.com/ecoli_outbreaks/view/white-water-park-e-coli-outbreak/

This was a huge deal here in Georgia. One of the gardens at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is dedicated to the donor's granddaughter, who died in that outbreak, and the child of one of the Atlanta Braves' players was also affected. It was simply horrible. :(

http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

Somebodys not being honest

Gee, I'm very sorry if I reported bad info. I was only repeating something I had been told by someone I believed to be a reliable sorce. He certaily sounded legitimate. Perhaps you have old info...just saying...they come up with knew stuff all the time...:p

Try this one -- http://www.about-ecoli.com/ecoli_outbreaks/view/white-water-park-e-coli-outbreak/

This was a huge deal here in Georgia. One of the gardens at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is dedicated to the donor's granddaughter, who died in that outbreak, and the child of one of the Atlanta Braves' players was also affected. It was simply horrible. :(

Thanks.

I agree, all those children who died after being at Whitewater 10-15 years ago were in the kiddie pool area. So a little kid with diarrhea gave them ecoli and killed them.

As sad as this is, the previous statement had me thinking a lot more than 1

• Administrators
Yeah me too. But 1 is too many, especially if that 1 is yours. :(

CG

And the others didn't have it "made in the shade." These children were in ICU for months, on dialysis, etc. This is a very serious public health issue, and I'm glad the cruiselines take it seriously enough to have regs about it -- now I wish they would enforce them. :eek:

But 1 is too many, especially if that 1 is yours. :(

CG

And the others didn't have it "made in the shade." These children were in ICU for months, on dialysis, etc. This is a very serious public health issue, and I'm glad the cruiselines take it seriously enough to have regs about it -- now I wish they would enforce them. :eek:

Sorry folks. It sounds as if you think I have tried to minimize the seriousness of this. That wasn't my intent at all.

• Administrators
Sorry folks. It sounds as if you think I have tried to minimize the seriousness of this. That wasn't my intent at all.

<hug> Monte, I didn't think you were. News is so cyclical -- right now everyone's anti-peanut -- in ten years folks will be going "peanuts? a problem?" I've never been a public pool person, and stories like the Whitewater one just confirmed that choice.

<hug> Monte, I didn't think you were. News is so cyclical -- right now everyone's anti-peanut -- in ten years folks will be going "peanuts? a problem?" I've never been a public pool person, and stories like the Whitewater one just confirmed that choice.

Sadly me may want to avoid more than just public pools:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17755974/

Sadly me may want to avoid more than just public pools:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17755974/

Thank you for posting this. It's nice confirmation that all those things we take the time to clean or replace often (you wouldn't believe how many kitchen towels we go through in a day) and the "customs" we've stolen from places like Hawaii (e.g., a hand-painted decorative wall tile we bought in Hawaii that says "Please Remove Your Shoes") aren't completely crazy. I guess it's partly because I've always operated under the belief that I'd rather have our home smell clean because it is clean, rather than have it smell clean because I've plugged in a bunch of air perfume thingies.

Of course there's no way to have no exposure to germs/pathogens (and children's bodies in particular need some exposure to build strong immune systems), but there are places where exposure can lead to serious illness or death. Those are the ones we want to avoid.

beachchick

We know you better then that Monte. I didn't take it that you were trying to minimize it at all.

CG

I hope my grandson is trained by October.

I'm hoping the same thing for June. I do have a delemna though. My daughter absolutely, positively will not let my grandson use the pool unless he is 100% potty trained. So please everyone, don't think otherwise. We brought a blow up pool for him when he was little and can do so again.

However, having said that, we were talking the other day and had pretty much decided that even if he is 100% trained, he is young and we don't want to risk any kind of accident occurring in the pool. So we were going to put a swim diaper on him as an extra precaution. Under his trunks of course. Being a boy, it's likely that no one will even notice as trunks fit loosely. It would be worse if he were a girl wearing a tight fitting little suit.

However, I'm having 2nd thoughts about this. What if someone sees/notices the swim diaper? Will they assume that he's not potty trained and that we are breaking the rules? I know what conclusion I would jump to if I saw a kid in a pool with a swim diaper, right or wrong. Do we use the swim diaper and not worry what others think, or do we not use it to avoid upsetting anyone who may get the wrong idea if they happen to notice it?

CG

I'm hoping the same thing for June. I do have a delemna though. My daughter absolutely, positively will not let my grandson use the pool unless he is 100% potty trained. So please everyone, don't think otherwise. We brought a blow up pool for him when he was little and can do so again.

However, having said that, we were talking the other day and had pretty much decided that even if he is 100% trained, he is young and we don't want to risk any kind of accident occurring in the pool. So we were going to put a swim diaper on him as an extra precaution. Under his trunks of course. Being a boy, it's likely that no one will even notice as trunks fit loosely. It would be worse if he were a girl wearing a tight fitting little suit.

However, I'm having 2nd thoughts about this. What if someone sees/notices the swim diaper? Will they assume that he's not potty trained and that we are breaking the rules? I know what conclusion I would jump to if I saw a kid in a pool with a swim diaper, right or wrong. Do we use the swim diaper and not worry what others think, or do we not use it to avoid upsetting anyone who may get the wrong idea if they happen to notice it?

CG

I think it is great that you want to be double-sure. Sort of like a belt and suspenders mentality. :) So, I think you should go with the swimmers. It seems unlikely anyone will notice.

My wife and I were on a RCCL cruise about 5 years ago ... one afternoon, we were enjoying the hot tub, when an elderly gentelman got into the tub wearing what could only graciously be described as Fruit of the Looms that were about 3 or 4 sizes too big for him. The first thing he did was apologize to us for wearing his underwear, but that he "forgot" that cruise ships had pools, and his daughter told him to just swim in an old pair of briefs.

To say that we quickly exited the hot tub for safer harbours would be an understatement.

Michael and Silke

:eek: LMAO

As sad as this is, the previous statement had me thinking a lot more than 1

I think the grandparent set up a memorial for THEIR grandchild, because their grandchild was a victim. There were others, I am thinking 3 or 4 at least. the child whose father was a braves player survived though, but I remember seeing him on TV and he was so sweet, he said people should not focus so much attention on HIS child, what about the poor children who had died and their families?

I think the grandparent set up a memorial for THEIR grandchild, because their grandchild was a victim. There were others, I am thinking 3 or 4 at least. the child whose father was a braves player survived though, but I remember seeing him on TV and he was so sweet, he said people should not focus so much attention on HIS child, what about the poor children who had died and their families?

Okay I googled it- this was in June and July 1998- one little girl named Michele died, 6 others were ill enough though that they needed blood transfusions and were critical. I must say this, if it was my child, I would not want him to become critically ill, even if he managed to survive and get well, simply becuase someone else had allowed their diapered sick baby into the kiddie pool.

I have failed, I am unable to link the Whitewater reference. Can I go on:(

Derf, I googled "deaths of e coli at Whitewater, Atlanta, Ga". Apparently it is not spelled ecoli ,but e coli, with a space between the e and c. ( google corrected me) As I stated previously, I learned this happened in 1998.

Archived