Why go Aft vs. hump?

Question for everyone: What are the advantages & disadvantages of having a Aft cabin? Hump cabins are also very popular... what is your feedback?

Can anyone chime in about their experience on the Navigator? We are trying to pick out a balcony cabin for a TA cruise.

I've never been on the Navigator, but have been in both hump and aft cabins. My favorite was the aft......the balconies are MUCH bigger than any other. The hump is good, too, since it is right next to the elevators and you have to walk a mile to get back to the aft, but then, that helps with the weight control.....:)

Either way, you'll have a ball!!!

Barb

I've been in a hump on the Navigator and I was in an aft on the Explorer (Navigator's sister ship).....I would take an aft ANYDAY over another hump. The hump was ok, but it did not have a large balcony nor the view of the ship's wake, which I think is just beautiful. Yes, you have to walk further, but big woop...unless you have a disability of some sort a little walking isn't gonna hurt ya!! Especially after eating all the good food!! ;)

And loved both. There are obvious advantages to either.

On the hump, you can sometimes get a little larger balcony. Meantime, the convenience to the central parts of the ship (Centrum, elevators, etc.) are great. Walk to either extreme end of the ship will only be half the ship's length. On a Voyager-class ship, the hump isn't exactly as central probably. But in general, conveniences still apply.

While on Aft, the larger balconies in many cabins are our favorite advantage. In addition, on some ship classifications, the D-1's aft are sometimes square in shape and approach the space/feel of a JS. They're great. We've never minded the walk. It's 100 yds. from the aft elevators to the aft cabin hallways on a Voyager-class ship. Yes...we stepped it off while staying aft on the Navigator. We like the views of the wake on aft. Some will complain about the view via the ship's superstructure.

We're aft on our next cruise, Enchantment. A huge balcony awaits us.

Go with the hump. You don't want that yucky AFT. I hear there is an increased rate of Norovirus for those that stay in AFTs. :D:p:p:p

{yes, my response is due to my new found LOVE of AFTs. I don't want anyone else to discover the joys of the AFT cabins because I want them for myself}

Having an AFT is like having your own private back yard. It is so quiet back there. Yes, the hump is nice because of the mid location. But I didn't mind walking back to the AFT because it was so private back there.

This was AFT 1406 (JS) on Indy

334.jpg

080.jpg

The aft D1s are much larger than the other D1s on the Adventure. In fact they are close to the size of a JS plus the extra balcony. The JS afts are nice too specially in the Vision class. The afts usually have a couple of deck chairs on the balcny plus a small table and a couple of chairs. IF they dont ask your cabin steward to steal a deck chair from the pool....

Our aft cabin on the Brilliance, 9258, did have the huge balcony, the beneficial long walk, quietness, and the advantage of helping us orient to the layout of the ship very quickly. On the other hand, we suffered motion sickness much more than in midship cabins on previous cruises. Since this was a winter cruise in the western Mediterranean and the Atlantic, I really don't know if the motion issue was due to rough seas or because we were aft. I'm inclined to go for midship next time.

See my review of the Brilliance Canary Islands cruise for a bit more about this cabin: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=52528

AFT all the way! I love the larger balconies, and love to sit and watch/listen to the wake at night -- nothing better! (Plus the little extra walk to the elevators helps me justify getting a little extra dessert at meal time!!)

On our Voyager cruise out of Galveston I went into the CL and told them that I only had 5 lounge chairs and 4 regular chairs on my aft balcony. I could use at least 3 more lounge chairs and a bigger table.

Martin said Mr Arvids I will get you more later today.

I told him I was kidding but really if I had gotten them I still would have had room to walk around.

But seriously its a very very very long walk to the AFT. And late at night it can take close to 5 minutes to get to your room after getting off the elevator.

Will I book another one?

Hmm

tough decision.

Not this year as I can not afford an aft on the OASIS and taking my niece and nephew on the Liberty all ready put a damper into my wallet. But come 2010 oh yes I will.

Reading all of these replies have been very interesting.

We have only stayed in inside cabins. This summer, for our 25th wedding anniversary, my husband said he wanted to take a cruise to celebrate. He told me when he wanted to go and for how long, and left it up to me to plan it. I've booked the Enchantment of the Seas and have cabin 7666: an aft cabin. He only knows that we have a balcony, since he said we should book one this time. I sure hope it lives up to the hype that I've been reading about on this message board. If it does, he will be so surprised! :D

We have stayed in aft cabins 4 times..twice on Radiance class and twice on Voyager class and the soot has not been a problem for us any of those sailings.

I enjoy the aft cabins (never been in a hump) because of the extra room on the balcony and I find that if you have less than ideal weather like sunny but cooler the aft provides shelter and less wind and you can still enjoy that balcony.

Oh the view is awesome too.

To the OP, are you inclined to motion sickness? I would think twice about going Aft. I personally would love to have an aft cabin, however, I have heard too many people talk about how you feel much more motion on the back of the ship. Since I am inclined to motion sickness, I stay mid ship, and have not had a problem. While I would love to try Aft, I would hate to be ill all week:(. And I know about the patch, and the pills etc, but they say do not mix with alcohol. No alcohol on a cruise is like peanut butter without jelly:D

Whichever you choose, have a wonderful cruise!

Back from Navigator 3-9-09. Had cabin 1688, corner aft on deck 10. The cabin was huge! Normally we stay in a JS but this D1 was great. Balcony had 3 loungers, 2 regular chairs and a table. I have motion sickness at times, but not in this cabin. We had a rough time sailing from Cozumel, but the entire ship was rocking.

I am now spoiled with aftness. Going on Grandeur in December and an aft JS opened up and we changed cabins to that one.

Just one cruisers opinion.;)

Question for everyone: What are the advantages & disadvantages of having a Aft cabin? Hump cabins are also very popular... what is your feedback?

Can anyone chime in about their experience on the Navigator? We are trying to pick out a balcony cabin for a TA cruise.

If you get 1400 or 1700 you will have a pole in your room that comes in REAL handy for parties;)you could be the hit of your row call:D

I've never been on the Navigator, but have been in both hump and aft cabins. My favorite was the aft......the balconies are MUCH bigger than any other. The hump is good, too, since it is right next to the elevators and you have to walk a mile to get back to the aft, but then, that helps with the weight control.....:)

Either way, you'll have a ball!!!

Barb

You Aft lovers, do you stay deck 8 or above? Our tablemates on our first cruise were on deck 6 and said there was a lot of engine vibration.

Archived