Why go Aft vs. hump?

Well, I am a huge Celebrity M-class aft balcony snob, but when I had to choose a cabin on my Mariner cruise next month I went with a middle hump. Reason being is that those afts are way too far from the elevators for my bad back. :eek: Plus, it will be easy to pop down to the promenade. ;) I do love that aft wake shot but after walking around all day I want to be able to make it back to my cabin. :rolleyes:

So true, it is a hike to the aft cabins, but yes we had the pole in our cabin, never thought it was a problem the entire cruise:D. I considered it my workout for the day, yeah right...

my mother had an aft cabin on a cruise last year (forget which line)... and she said they never went on their balcony because it was covered with soot. anyone have any experience with "fallout", i guess from smoke stacks?...

While we (and it looked like pretty much all of the aft balconies) did have a major soot problem one night on the IOTS, we didn't have any soot on our NOTS aft balcony last year. I don't know if it's just luck (which way the wind is blowing) or something else (maybe burning garbage indifference to the wind direction???), but the IOTS seems to have a lot more mention of soot in various posts.

However, that has not stopped us from loving the aft - particularly the huge deck 7 corner aft on voyager/freedom class which we had for our last and next two cruises!

These balconies have two chairs AND two chaise lounges in addition to a small table, and, as stated above, plenty of room left over. While it is a long walk to the elevators, this means you don't have to feel guilty about those yummy desserts. It is so peaceful and quiet and you don't have people passing in the hallway all times of the day and night. While some people don't like the infrastructure on voyager/freedom class aft balconies, it doesn't bother us as we enjoy panoramic views port, starboard and the wake aft of us.

However, as crusinmama06 said, you should go with the hump!

Go with the hump. You don't want that yucky AFT. I hear there is an increased rate of Norovirus for those that stay in AFTs. :D:p:p:p

{yes, my response is due to my new found LOVE of AFTs. I don't want anyone else to discover the joys of the AFT cabins because I want them for myself}

Yes norovirus!!! And, even worse, THEY ARE HAUNTED!!!:eek:!!!!! Here's proof:

aft-haunted.gif

On a Vision or Radiance class ship I would take an aft cabin over a midships caibn (Vision class don't have a hump). On Voyager class I prefer a hump cabin. All that infrastructure is annoying to me, even up on Deck 10. And in 9324 on Mariner (starboard side ump), we had a great balcony plus a bit of wake view to boot. And we were steps from the CL.:)

While we (and it looked like pretty much all of the aft balconies) did have a major soot problem one night on the IOTS, THEY ARE HAUNTED!!!:eek:!!!!! Here's proof:

aft-haunted.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love your animation!!!!!! I didn't have the soot problem on Indy. You said "one night", wonder what the problem was?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love your animation!!!!!! I didn't have the soot problem on Indy. You said "one night", wonder what the problem was?

Thanks - we must do all we can to cut down on the demand for these horrible aft balconies. ;):D

As for the soot, yes it blew in Thanksgiving night. I don't know whether it was just bad luck as to which way the wind was blowing, air pressure/humidity or something else. It was pretty heavy. Do you know if they burn garbage or anything?

Yes norovirus!!! And, even worse, THEY ARE HAUNTED!!!:eek:!!!!! Here's proof:

aft-haunted.gif

I really love this anamation. I have managed to book 7708 on my up coming Freedom cruise. This will be my first aft and I am so excited.

Thanks. This was 7708 on the Independence and, if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you in on a secret

.... there really weren't any ghosts. Shhh. ;)

I'm sure you'll love it - have a great cruise! :D

And loved both. There are obvious advantages to either.

On the hump, you can sometimes get a little larger balcony. Meantime, the convenience to the central parts of the ship (Centrum, elevators, etc.) are great. Walk to either extreme end of the ship will only be half the ship's length. On a Voyager-class ship, the hump isn't exactly as central probably. But in general, conveniences still apply.

While on Aft, the larger balconies in many cabins are our favorite advantage. In addition, on some ship classifications, the D-1's aft are sometimes square in shape and approach the space/feel of a JS. They're great. We've never minded the walk. It's 100 yds. from the aft elevators to the aft cabin hallways on a Voyager-class ship. Yes...we stepped it off while staying aft on the Navigator. We like the views of the wake on aft. Some will complain about the view via the ship's superstructure.

We're aft on our next cruise, Enchantment. A huge balcony awaits us.

I have never been on the Vision Class ships. How do you like them? How do they compare to the voyager class?

Thanks

Sylvia

• 2 weeks later...
To the OP, are you inclined to motion sickness? I would think twice about going Aft. I personally would love to have an aft cabin, however, I have heard too many people talk about how you feel much more motion on the back of the ship. Since I am inclined to motion sickness, I stay mid ship, and have not had a problem. While I would love to try Aft, I would hate to be ill all week:(. And I know about the patch, and the pills etc, but they say do not mix with alcohol. No alcohol on a cruise is like peanut butter without jelly:D

Whichever you choose, have a wonderful cruise!

I tend to be one of those people that feel the motion more than others and usually have three to four days AFTER my cruise of still feeling like I'm on the ship! But I have to say that when I was in the aft cabin aboard the Explorer of the Seas, I didn't feel any motion aboard that ship nor did I have the feeling when I left the ship and was back on land. My husband tends to get a little motion sick and he LOVED the aft cabin.

I was told the balconies AFT are hot - not much in the way of shade. True or False?

We had cabin 7688 on the Explorer of the Seas...part of the balcony is in the sun and there is a large portion that was covered and in the shade.

my mother had an aft cabin on a cruise last year (forget which line)... and she said they never went on their balcony because it was covered with soot. anyone have any experience with "fallout", i guess from smoke stacks?...

Never had that problem on our aft balcony nor did we have it on our hump balcony either.

On Voyager class and Freedom class, you do occasionally find soot on your balcony. If we do, I simply wipe off the chairs and table before using.....and be sure to wear flip flops out there! Usually, we don't experience soot. It's a long walk, but it is NOT the length of a football field! I wouldn't stay in a deck 6 aft on those ships because your view is partially blocked by the extended metal deck over a crew area. The higher, the less you notice the obstruction. To the person who asked whether Vision class compared to the Voyager class...no it doesn't. Nothing wrong with those ships but they are much smaller,and don't have a Promenade or an ice rink.

Archived